Suspended – what to do?

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It doesn't work like that - otherwise everyone would do it.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge.

For clarification I'm not referring to rule book benefits.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Elinore wrote: »
    I was told specifically not to speak to HR. He will discuss the matter with them and then they would contact me.

Would it be worth dropping the a line even though he expressly said I was not to - he seemed to suggest this would be further evidence of 'refusing a reasonable request'

Personally I would still email them, and ask for a meeting, otherwise they only hear what the new manager has to say

Get things in writing

Who is your work contract with? I suggest you take the matter up with them.

(I found it somewhat confusing over who you work for and who employs you)
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    kazwookie wrote: »
    Personally I would still email them, and ask for a meeting, otherwise they only hear what the new manager has to say

Get things in writing

Who is your work contract with? I suggest you take the matter up with them.

(I found it somewhat confusing over who you work for and who employs you)
    From my understanding the OP works for and is employed by company A, but her role is linked specifically to Company B, a single large supplier.

The supplier will have a client log in (that's the bit she wasn't going to share) to access order history, track deliveries etc.

As the work is linked in such a way the contract of employment was set up to coincide with the supplier working hours, etc.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Another vote for raising a grievance and within it I'd make it explicit what he told you to do (share out log in against company's contract terms) and that he suspended you for seeking advice on the matter.

He sounds like he's out of his depth and is a control freak, so hates that he has no say over what you are supposed to do.

The 'budget' issue is a red herring - that's for him to sort out with his peers & boss, after all, he took on the role and should have known what he was taking on.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    nicechap wrote: »
    Another vote for raising a grievance and within it I'd make it explicit what he told you to do (share out log in against company's contract terms) and that he suspended you for seeking advice on the matter.

He sounds like he's out of his depth and is a control freak, so hates that he has no say over what you are supposed to do.

The 'budget' issue is a red herring - that's for him to sort out with his peers & boss, after all, he took on the role and should have known what he was taking on.

In fairness no company is going to disclose things like that in advance, but I do agree it's something for him to sort with his boss, not the OP
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    It's easy. To be fair, as some of us keep repeating, HR belongs to the employer. So if the manager says don't contact them, that's fair enough - they represent the employer and so does the manager. And I assume by the resounding silence that there is no union membership.

There is a grievance procedure. It's usually direct to the manager first. So that. In writing and formally. Then escalate it to their manager of the issue isn't resolved. Follow the process whatever it is. You can't be faulted for doing so, but you probably won't win any friends. Although it sounds like that is the least of your worries right now.
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    edited 14 September 2018 at 7:28PM
    Sorry! not resounding silence - I was trying to contact the union lady (she's currently visiting a site in Scotland - so a a bit hard to get hold of and is due to be incommunicado for a few days)

I was also emailing HR just to a request their grievance procedure - i didn't discuss the issue with them, just the procedure.

To clarify Coms69 hit the nail on the head - in a nutshell

Employer - I work in their building, they pay me and my contract is with them to do the job.

Supplier - my employment contract contract says - I exclusively do their work, in no uncertain terms - the contract also sets out my leave, training, hours and role requirements are at the whim of the supplier NOT my employer. I have access to their system to do the job and they are very clear this access is for me alone.

This sounds very complicated but honestly it's worked like clockwork before this hoohaa!
  • Elinore wrote: »
    Sorry! not resounding silence - I was trying to contact the union lady (she's currently visiting a site in Scotland - so a a bit hard to get hold of and is due to be incommunicado for a few days)

I was also emailing HR just to a request their grievance procedure - i didn't discuss the issue with them.

To clarify Coms69 hit the nail on the head

Employer - I work in their building, they pay me and my contract is with them to do the job.

Supplier - I am employed to exclusively to work for them, my contract outlines this in no uncertain terms - the contract also sets out my leave and hours and role requirements are at the whim of the supplier NOT my employer. I have access to their system to do the job and they are very clear this access is for me alone.

This sounds very complicated but honestly it's worked like clockwork before this hoohaa!

Whatever they say under no circumstances give away your login details so you're the only one who has access outside of your employer being forced to discuss this with the supplier. They might try making you sign away your rights and a non-dislosure statement so you give away your login details and can't tell the supplier. REFUSE to do this, don't give away your leverage. If they sack you they risk upsetting the supplier.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    I would consider the possibility of asking for a contractual change....

Companies, and bosses, change and more often than not a new boss = new ways of doing things. It sounds like you are one of the rare(ish) people who have a contract which doesn't allow the employer to do that (forgive me if my interpretation is wrong). Probably like gold-dust in the current employment times. Is that a fairly apt definition of a "legacy contract"? In truth I've never heard of them before..

I mean you've gotta think that you may end up being managed out. They may even risk an unfair dismissal and a tribunal payout just to get you off the books and get someone else in. Won't always hit them as hard as you'd like if that happened.

So it may just be easier to engage with the manager and negotiate an altered contract (they may trade off and give you some benefits if you do the same; "i'll scratch your back and you scratch mine" etc).

I think first of all you need to approach HR and put in your grievance. Ignore the manager, they are telling you not to because they don't want the headache. If you put your side across, as well as the manager (who won't be fair minded by the way), then HR and the higher echelons can decide whether they agree with the existing terms or whether they need to re-negotiate.

It is slightly complicated, too, with a supplier being involved but hopefully you've been shining in your role up to now. Otherwise, they may be more willing to take on someone who is paid less/the same but who can carry out multiple tasks and improve efficiency (there are a lot of people in the queue!).

Apologies if I've missed the mark anywhere there by the way, just trying to help!
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    Hi Les,

The role is part of a bigger contract agreement. They can manage me out, but they would still need to have someone do the job as the support role is a requirement of the supplier and its a string attached to a huge lucrative contract.

basically the role is a bitter pill for one area of the business only swallowed because it hugely benefits another area of the business and keeps the supplier sweet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure