Coming into sick work

Options
My company doesn’t give X days of sick a year and people are coming into work with colds. That’s not to say they won’t get paid, there is a sickness policy that I don’t know about.

Anyone else find it gross to come into work with a snotty noise, coughing and sneezing?

Comments

• MovingForwards
    Options
    No company 'gives' sick days, they either pay normal salary for X time then SSP or have a sickness policy which is SSP.

All companies (should) have a sickness /absence policy or reference to it.

If your company has an intranet site (internal use only internet site) the policy should be available on it, or you could ask your HR department for a copy.

Many companies have a sickness policy which means they face disciplinary action for more than X times off (not X days but X amounts of absence) in a rolling period.

Do you think someone should not be allowed to go to work because they have a cold? Just on the off chance you might catch it? How about the person in the bus/train who is starting to get/coming to the end of their cold are they not able to use public transport in case you catch a cold from them?

I actually appreciate colleagues coming into work with coughs/colds / insert other illness.... why? Because it shows they have a stronger work ethic than crying off for a day with the 'flu'.

I am on day 6 of a dreadful sore throat, morning 2 of hardly any sleep due to coughing, day 1 of sneezing/runny nose.

Yes, I feel like crap, but not enough to justify time off.

I will be going into work today, as have a few of my other colleagues who have had this and still trying to shake it off 2 weeks later.

Just my thoughts on it.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Sick leave for a common cold? Oh give over.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    If people have good personal hygiene there is no reason why a cold should stop them from doing most jobs.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I've seen people come into work when they are barely able to function due to worries about sickness policy. If people stopped coming in just because of a cold, offices would be half empty during the winter months.
    It's probably, in part, because many people used to consider 'sick days' as part of their annual leave that sickness policies were introduced in the first place. As in so many situations, what is a good idea in principle (sickness policy) is now being used by some employers as a stick to metaphorically beat staff with.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    I've seen people come into work when they are barely able to function due to worries about sickness policy. If people stopped coming in just because of a cold, offices would be half empty during the winter months.
    It's probably, in part, because many people used to consider 'sick days' as part of their annual leave that sickness policies were introduced in the first place. As in so many situations, what is a good idea in principle (sickness policy) is now being used by some employers as a stick to metaphorically beat staff with.
    Actually, employees did this to themselves. It's an example of how everyone suffers by an abuse of the tribunal system. I can't recall the year right now, but basically, before one case nobody had sickness policies. In the bad old days, employers knew exactly who was taking the Michael and who wasn't. If you kept pulling sickies you got sacked. Good workers with genuine illness generally didn't. Easy. Then two workers got sacked for sickies, and went to tribunal. They showed that they'd been sacked for, say, ten days sickness when other people had had the same or more. That's "unfair" because the employer had no evidence that they were pulling sickies, just everyone knew. I think most of us know how that works! So the employer got slammed for unfair dismissal, and everyone had policies the next year! The law, as case law established, was that the employer must treat everyone the same, or demonstrate why they haven't is a good reason. I think most of us know that whilst we might know who is pulling a sickie, proving it is impossible most of the time. So you treat everyone the same.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Actually, employees did this to themselves.

That's basically what I was saying, but as in so many situations a sledgehammer was then used to crack a nut. Rather than managing those who were misusing / manipulating the system it was easier to bring in a blanket system affecting everybody. Unfortunately, those who new how to abuse the old system and get away with it also find ways round the new.

I've working in places where everybody knew the people who always called in sick either on a Friday or Monday, never any other day of the week, but got away with it. I've know people with chronic health conditions who do their absolute best to get in to work even on their really bad days but get treated more harshly than the system twisters.

The unions do have a lot to answer for in helping to create the monster in the first place. Back in the 80's I worked for a large engineering company where the union used to tell its members to make sure they used up their 'sick days' each year. Management were too feeble to stand up to them, so there was fault on both sides.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    That's basically what I was saying, but as in so many situations a sledgehammer was then used to crack a nut. Rather than managing those who were misusing / manipulating the system it was easier to bring in a blanket system affecting everybody. Unfortunately, those who new how to abuse the old system and get away with it also find ways round the new.

I've working in places where everybody knew the people who always called in sick either on a Friday or Monday, never any other day of the week, but got away with it. I've know people with chronic health conditions who do their absolute best to get in to work even on their really bad days but get treated more harshly than the system twisters.

The unions do have a lot to answer for in helping to create the monster in the first place. Back in the 80's I worked for a large engineering company where the union used to tell its members to make sure they used up their 'sick days' each year. Management were too feeble to stand up to them, so there was fault on both sides.
    Although we never did that, I do agree. I know both individuals and unions who used them as alternative holidays. The problem is, like everything, how do you find the right compromise? It's like employment tribunals themselves. I was always opposed to the fees that were introduced. But I am equally not in favour of free and unfettered access because too many people claim purely because they can, to see if they can get some money in an economic settlement. We see people here telling people to do just that when they have no case! It is far from being just the unions. Employees have bad eggs, so do employers. Just take a look on this board in a typical week - make a claim because they'll settle to save legal costs; you don't have to work your notice if you decide not to because they can't do a thing about it; if you want to have a day off for an interview, pull a sickie......
  • Me2you
    Me2you Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    I’m sitting next to three people with colds. One can barely do her work because she’s so tired from her cold. I hear people blowing their nose loudly and coughing. They are contagious and their bodily functions I find gross.

I’ve worked for a company that had 8 days sickness per year. Anything above that was up for review. Very generous and most people didn’t use up their entitlement because they didn’t think they were that sick.

I can understand a company thinking they are giving extra holidays. I already get five days more annual leave than the statutory requirement.
  • Me2you
    Me2you Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    Let’s not be under any illusion that some business have their staff in work but gossiping and on the Internet for a percentage, that affecting productivity.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Me2you wrote: »
    My company doesn’t give X days of sick a year and people are coming into work with colds. That’s not to say they won’t get paid, there is a sickness policy that I don’t know about.

Anyone else find it gross to come into work with a snotty noise, coughing and sneezing?

Personally, I think it’s gross when someone lies about their own medical conditions but then wastes their employers time moaning about colleagues medical conditions on the internet.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure