Paying more on meter than neighbour with no meter

2»

Comments

• I switched to a meter 20 years ago, and my 2017 bill is still only two thirds of what it was in 1997.
  • I live alone and I'm with Yorkshire Water and I get upset if my quarterly Water / Sewage bill is more than £24! That's a tad under £200 a year in total.

Are you wasting water in some way or do you have a leak?

I recently had a new boiler fitted (A combi boiler) and my water usage went up significantly because the time it took for hot water to reach the taps was greatly increased. My gas bill went down too but did even better when I fitted restrictors on each hot water tap to reduce water flow. My water bill is now a lot less and so is my gas bill.

Reducing hot water flow at the taps increases the amount of time the cold water remains within the boiler being heated up before it travels along pipework to the open tap. Reducing water and gas wastage.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    I live alone and I'm with Yorkshire Water and I get upset if my quarterly Water / Sewage bill is more than £24! That's a tad under £200 a year in total.

Are you wasting water in some way or do you have a leak?

I recently had a new boiler fitted (A combi boiler) and my water usage went up significantly because the time it took for hot water to reach the taps was greatly increased. My gas bill went down too but did even better when I fitted restrictors on each hot water tap to reduce water flow. My water bill is now a lot less and so is my gas bill.

Reducing hot water flow at the taps increases the amount of time the cold water remains within the boiler being heated up before it travels along pipework to the open tap. Reducing water and gas wastage.

Thanks for that. Ihad been saving the cold water and using it to flush the loo (for yellows, browns get a "proper" flush IYSWIM) :o
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Our water bill doubled two years ago due to an underground leak after the meter.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 November 2017 at 10:25AM
    evoke wrote: »
    I get billed every 6 months and my last two bills have totalled £390 for the year.

I live alone, I have two separate bills (two companies, twice a year, four bills in total). I pay about £120/year in total from memory.

You either have a leak, or have a lifestyle using more water than you're aware of.

Try not washing so often :)
    It works for me.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    ariba10 wrote: »
    Our water bill doubled two years ago due to an underground leak after the meter.

If you've got a meter it's worthwhile to take your own readings as it can help you reduce your consumption and find problems before they get out of hand.

I read mine monthly and couple of years ago noticed a big increase in consumption over six times the normal) which indicated that there was a leak. We got it sorted out before it damaged the drived or undermined the house foundations and wewere credited for the lost water by AW.

Waiting six month to a year for a bill to come in or even not noticing it at all had we been on RV could have ended up with the house subsiding and a bill for £1000's.

Not only that our bill is at least £250 a year less by having a meter than it would be on RV. We could save even more but we choose to have an automatic garden watering system switched on in the summer to keep the flowers happy.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Cardew wrote: »
    What company? and do you pay for Surface Water Drainage?

Almost 2 months later, have we had an answer to these two simple questions?
    I see the OP has been online this morning, but didn't post in this thread.

I would also have asked how much water the OP used just to make it simpler for us, but we could always find out if these two simple questions were answered, I suspect.

Like PN's post today, I would have thought a single occupant, who I would anticipate to use about 50-60 units per year, would pay about 1/3rd what the OP pays (although the exact cost will depend on supplier)
  • Sorry mabye it's not about the subject but I am concerned. My neighbour is renting a house and has no water meter. He is sub-letting rooms in the house (6 or 7 people living there) and his friend who's got mobile car washing company is taking water from the property on regular basis and not even trying to hide. Is that illegal? Should that be reported? Is that actually stealing? The water usage in this 3 bedroom semi must be horendous. It does not seem fair that a family of four on a meter pays more than he does with no meter!
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Contact the water company .
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    hyzaeeti wrote: »
    Sorry mabye it's not about the subject but I am concerned. My neighbour is renting a house and has no water meter. He is sub-letting rooms in the house (6 or 7 people living there) and his friend who's got mobile car washing company is taking water from the property on regular basis and not even trying to hide. Is that illegal? Should that be reported? Is that actually stealing? The water usage in this 3 bedroom semi must be horendous. It does not seem fair that a family of four on a meter pays more than he does with no meter!

Welcome to the forum.

As said many times in this forum, water charges are not fair - period!

Your neighbour can have as many people living in the house as he wishes and they can all take 3 baths a day if the wish. If you look through the small print of the regulations - all companies are different - it will probably say that business use for the mobile washing is not allowed - it is not illegal/stealing. If you report him, he will probably deny it, even if you make an official complaint all they will do is tell him to stop.

However whatever he pays in water charges, it doesn't affect what you pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure