Getting paid by cheque

Hi.Where i work we get paid weekly (tuesday) by cheque.As its christmas and we are shut for the week our employer has said we have to wait for that weeks cheque until we return in Jan or he can send it to us,but he wont post it until Thursday 27th so it wont get to us until the following week anyway.

Im just wondering if he is allowed to do this,as it means we are going a week with no wages?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.Thankyou

Comments

• Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Say you are prepared to accept payment by bank transfer (BACS) and offer your Sort Code and A/c number. If he declines this, there is good reason to be suspicious.
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    Hi.Where i work we get paid weekly (tuesday) by cheque.As its christmas and we are shut for the week our employer has said we have to wait for that weeks cheque until we return in Jan or he can send it to us,but he wont post it until Thursday 27th so it wont get to us until the following week anyway.

Im just wondering if he is allowed to do this,as it means we are going a week with no wages?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.Thankyou

Hi

There is nothing stopping him from doing this but he could have chosen to pay you in advance as opposed to paying you in arrears. Could you consider collecting it in person on the 27th? Suggest you negotiate with him to see if you can get it before Xmas assuming he has the money to pay you and the others in this way.

You could all get together in the new year and raise this as an issue with your employer with a view to preventing it from happening again.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Thankyou for you're quick replies! He wont ever pay us by bacs,not sure why but he is adamant he wont.Last year we were able to go and collect them but this year he said its not option.

It seems like im just going to have to borrow the money until i get my wages.

Thanks for you're help :)
  • miduck
    miduck Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    Buzby wrote: »
    Say you are prepared to accept payment by bank transfer (BACS) and offer your Sort Code and A/c number. If he declines this, there is good reason to be suspicious.

An unwillingness/ inability to pay by BACS is no reason to be suspicious. Some businesses do not have access to a computer, let alone the internet, and to process a BACS transfer manually for all staff would be very time consuming.
  • Will he not issue post dated cheques? I would say that not paying you on time in accordance with your contact is an unlawful deduction? I run a small weekly payroll and tomorrow I am issuing them all with 3 weeks pay to cover the festive period as we are shut until 2nd Jan.
  • Will he not issue post dated cheques? I would say that not paying you on time in accordance with your contact is an unlawful deduction? I run a small weekly payroll and tomorrow I am issuing them all with 3 weeks pay to cover the festive period as we are shut until 2nd Jan.

Most likely but what is the OP really going to do about it?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure