PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Housing market move given Brexit and interest rise

Options

Comments

• ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 October 2017 at 8:53AM
    Options
    There are about six or seven regular posters.......all singing from the same hymn sheet ;)

I admit there are a couple of posters that are the opposite of you, but the majority realise that the housing market is very complicated and claiming you can accurately predict it is nonsense.

Anyway the point is this is a help board and the other is a discussion board and that is where this thread should be, there is nothing stopping you and others posting on there.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ukcarper wrote: »
    I admit there are a couple of posters that are the opposite of you, but the majority realise that the housing market is very complicated and claiming you can accurately predict it is nonsense.

Anyway the point is this is a help board and the other is a discussion board and that is where this thread should be, there is nothing stopping you and others posting on there.

It isn`t complicated, it runs on sentiment and availability of credit, plus some supply and demand thrown in, but demand at a certain price can only happen if the credit/interest rates support it. Most sensible people can now see that there was a massive bubble that is now bursting IMO.
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    No it's not many just don't subscribe The HPC rhetoric.

That's my point, they (the small clique of vociferous posters) are the polar opposite of HPCers...
    they'll deny that there are any problems at all with current UK property market, that affordability simply isn't an issue and houses are just as affordable as they've ever been, that availability of credit plays no part in things, even that current interest rates are at ''about the historical average'':rotfl:
  • bob_bank_spanker
    Options
    Tiners wrote: »
    That's my point, they (the small clique of vociferous posters) are the polar opposite of HPCers...
    they'll deny that there are any problems at all with current UK property market, that affordability simply isn't an issue and houses are just as affordable as they've ever been, that availability of credit plays no part in things, even that current interest rates are at ''about the historical average'':rotfl:
    Has anyone actually said that?
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone actually said that?

Definitely yes.

I don't have the time or the desire to trawl through that forum to try and find the specific thread/post but that claim was definitely made and it was, I'm certain, made by one of the regular ''much respected'' contributors.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

I am not claiming to be able to accurately predict the housing market, just that there is a massive bubble and that when it pops there will be a mess. Most people are awake to this now, the audience were even saying on QT that HTB isn`t the answer! The word just needs to filter through to the debate forum and then more or less the whole country will be clued in...:rotfl:
  • _CC_
    _CC_ Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely yes.

I don't have the time or the desire to trawl through that forum to try and find the specific thread/post but that claim was definitely made and it was, I'm certain, made by one of the regular ''much respected'' contributors.

That's convenient :D
  • ukcarper
    Options
    It isn`t complicated, it runs on sentiment and availability of credit, plus some supply and demand thrown in, but demand at a certain price can only happen if the credit/interest rates support it. Most sensible people can now see that there was a massive bubble that is now bursting IMO.
    If it's that simply why have you others been predicting a crash that hasn't happened in fact prices have increased considerably.
  • ukcarper
    Options
    But that's the point it's a discussion board and it has people with all types of views, this is a help board and is not the place for wild speculation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure