LG G4 - Limited Warranty Document Advice

freelance536
freelance536 Posts: 30 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 1 October 2017 at 8:02PM in Mobiles
Hey Forum,

I'll begin by saying that I'm no legal expert and a lot of this warranty stuff really confuses me. I've read quite a few things online but it really hasn't helped... Which is hopefully where this forum can offer me some advice relating to the following Limited Warranty Statement which was enclosed with my LG G4 phone.

To cut a long story short, LG have acknowledged that the LG G4 phone has an inbuilt defect, and a statement was made with regards to it. They will essentially repair any affected devices as per the warranty terms and conditions. Unfortunately for me, my screen has a tiny hairline crack and they say this voids the warranty.

I read the warranty and after the heading of section 1: it states that LG offers a warranty that the phone etc will be free from defects as per the following terms and conditions. Because this is within section one and a list follows, I assume 1 through 7 to be the terms of getting a defective unit repaired under warranty and that section 2 is irrelevant. How does this forum interpret this statement.

I would also like to thank anyone who gives any advice :beer: Unfortunately my phone just stopped working out of the blue, I'm still paying for it but they won't repair it :(
LIMITED WARRANTY STATEMENT

1. WHAT THIS WARRANTY COVERS:

LG offers you a limited warranty that the enclosed phone and its enclosed accessories will be free from defects in material and workmanship according to the following terms and conditions:

(1) The limited warranty for the product extends the warranty period beginning on the date of purchase of the product.
(2) The limited warranty applies for 2 years from the original date of purchase and extends only to the original purchaser of the product and is not assignable or transferable to any subsequent purchaser/end user. It shall neither exclude nor limit any mandatory statutory rights of the customer or any of the customer rights against the seller/dealer of the product.
(3) This warranty is good only to the original purchaser during the warranty period, but limited to certain countries if specified.
(4) The external housing and cosmetics parts shall be free of defects at the time of shipment and, therefore, shall not be covered under these limited warranty terms.
(5) Upon request from LG. or their designated service agent the consumer must provide information to reasonably prove the date of purchase.
(6) Unless other se rvice arrangements have been specified the customer shall bear the cost of shipping a defective product back to the Customer Service Department of LG. LG shall bear the cost of shipping the product back to the consumer after the
completion of service under this limited warranty.
(7) During the warranty period LG or its authorised service agent will repair or replace at LG's sole discretion a defective product. A repaired or replaced product will not be given a prolonged or renewed warranty period.

2. WHAT THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER :
(1) Defects OR Damages resulting from use of the product in other than its normal and customary manner.
(2) Defects or damages from abnormal use, abnormal conditions, improper storage. exposure to moisture or dampness, unauthorised modifications, unauthorised connections, unauthorised repair, neglect, abuse, accident, alteration, improper
installation or other acts which are not the fault of LG, including damage caused by shipping, blown fuses, spills of food or liquid.
(3) Breakage or damage to antennas unless caused directly by defects in material or workmanship.
(4) A warranty repair if the Customer Service Department at LG or other agreed service agent was not notified by the consumer of the alleged defect or malfunction of the product during the applicable limited warranty period.
(5) Products which have had the serial number or IMEI number removed or made illegible.
(6) This limited warranty is in lieu of all other warranties, express or implied either in fact or by operations of law, statutory or otherwise, including, but not limited to any implied warranty of marketability or fitness for a particular use.
(7) Damage resulting from use of non-LG approved accessories.
(8) All plastic surfaces and all other externally exposed parts that are scratched or damaged due to normal customer use.
(9) Products operated outside published maximum ratings.
(10) Products used or obtained in a rental program.
(11) Consumables (such as fuses).
(12) Suspected defects caused by a failure of the cellular network.

3. CONDITIONS :
No other express warranty is applicable to this product.
The DURATION OF ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MARKETABILITY, IS LIMITED TO THE DURATION OF THE EXPRESS WARRANTY HEREIN. LG ELECTRONICS INC. SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR THE LOSS OF THE USE OF THE PRODUCT, INCOVINIENCE, LOSS OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, DIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL, ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THIS PRODUCT OR FOR ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED MARKETABILITY APPLICABLE TO THIS PRODUCT. Some do not allow the exclusive of limitation of incidental or consequential damages or limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts; so these limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which vary from country to country.

Comments

• mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    As far as the "I am still buying for it" - you aren't; assuming it's a contract phone, the phone is "free" and it is the airtime contract you are paying for.
  • That's a fair point mobilejunkie. Do you have any advice regarding the warranty? Do you think they are in breach of warranty or am I reading it incorrectly. I just wondered if it's pointless for me to push LG to repair this device or not - I mean I don't even know if they would.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    That's a fair point mobilejunkie. Do you have any advice regarding the warranty? Do you think they are in breach of warranty or am I reading it incorrectly. I just wondered if it's pointless for me to push LG to repair this device or not - I mean I don't even know if they would.
    . WHAT THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER :

(2) Defects or damages from abnormal use, abnormal conditions, improper storage. exposure to moisture or dampness, unauthorised modifications, unauthorised connections, unauthorised repair, neglect, abuse, accident, alteration, improper

You’d have to somehow prove the fault wasn’t caused by the bit in bold. Can you do that?
    ====
  • d123 wrote: »
    You’d have to somehow prove the fault wasn’t caused by the bit in bold. Can you do that?

I can prove that the defect wasn't caused by neglect, abuse or accidental. Based on the following:

LG Electronics acknowledge via a statement to Android Authority on the 26th January 2016 in an article by Kris Carlon the ILAPO (Infinite Loop Auto Power Off) LG G4 defect also known as the bootloop by the wider community, which is present in my handset.

web address:
    http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-admits-g4-bootloop-problem-hardware-fault-669603/

I also talked to a local mobile repair shop whom said the LG G4 bootloop defect is very common. To the tune of a couple repairs per month. I also asked if a cracked screen would get in the way of a repair to which I was told it would neither be a health and safety hazard or a fix wouldn't cause further damage to the handset. I say this because LG said to me that due to health and safety they wouldn't touch my phone even though it's such a small crack and what you may regard as a stable fracture (my own opinion).
  • d123
    I know it’s a well known fault, the problem is taking LG to court and getting the court to understand that your abuse of the phone (causing the broken LCD) isn’t connected.

You’d need an independent expert to examine the phone and then be prepared to testify, remember you’d be trying to persuade a court that likely has no technical knowledge.
    ====
  • Hi d123.

I would pay for an independent report. I'm just quite gutted they won't help me anyway. The phone is slightly over a year which is also hard to accept. At the time it was retailing at £435.00.

I know there's a change.org petition online which received just short of 13,000 signatures. You think printing such a thing would help in my case?
  • d123
    Hi d123.

I would pay for an independent report. I'm just quite gutted they won't help me anyway. The phone is slightly over a year which is also hard to accept. At the time it was retailing at £435.00.

The report has to be from an independent expert, I’m not sure who would be accepted by a court as an LG expert, that’s something to be researched by you.
    I know there's a change.org petition online which received just short of 13,000 signatures. You think printing such a thing would help in my case?

IMO, no, not really.

Out of interest, have you tried to escalate your complaint? It’s probably worth going as high as possible in LG before wasting money on taking the retailer to court.
    ====
  • Out of interest, have you tried to escalate your complaint?

In LG I have escalated it as high as it could go. Unfortunately a month or two ago I was told by a supervisor at the repair centre that the hairline crack would probably be no problem for the engineers. I even sent them high resolution images of the minor damage. The supervisor said that he'd get a collection of the phone and at the same time forward the images to the engineers. This was on Friday so the collection would have been done the following working week (I think it was Wednesday). I only mention this because he guaranteed me in the case of the engineers confirming not being able to fix the phone based on the images I sent in he'd cancel the collection and phone me about it.

Three weeks later I decide to chase it up and I'm told my phone has been deemed out of warranty. I got no phone call or anything for weeks. Under the circumstances I thought it was being fixed. So I was pretty disappointed. The minor cosmetic damage is definitely not why the phone is faulty and I'm not happy.

I seen a video on YouTube where a lady got the bootloop, sent it to LG. A week later her boyfriend with the same phone got the same exact issue. It is far from isolated and seems to be a defect present in all models. Hey ho... What ya gonna do. Thanks for everyone's advice :)
  • I also tried to use the Sale of Goods Act 1979 but to no avail. I went into Carphone Warehouse and was directed to a corner of the shop where I was greeting by two employees. I said that under the Sales of Good Act this phone at purchase was neither Fit for Purpose or of satisfactory quality. We circled the topic a couple times but the staff member in question was really rude about it. He was almost getting a rise out of proving me wrong. The treatment was pretty bad. He said something along the lines of, the phone could have water damage due to the crack. I said it's never been out in the rain. He then talked about water ingress and that moisture could get in through the crack... He also asked me twice if I had opened the back of the phone to which I replied, no I hadn't. He then started to animatedly press his computer keyboard and spoke as he did it.... "Will not honour warranty based on crack, could be water ingress". I thought I was being pretty reasonable - he was unwavering and a couple times where I disagreed, he said "Get out" and I just responded by saying "What?". He kept passing the buck to LG. I don't think I've ever been treated so badly.

In the end I just said, "Well if you can't do anything I'll just phone LG, but thanks for your time".

Pretty awful customer treatment.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    <<I can prove that the defect wasn't caused by neglect, abuse or accidental. Based on the following:>>

Under SOGA/ CR then that's what you need to do .
    But bootloop can be caused by many things not just what you have linked to .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure