Cost of keeping guinea pigs?

Another GP related post!

For those who haven't seen my other post, our DD would very much like to get 2 guinea pigs.

We've costed up the price of the initial cage, and the guinea pigs themselves, but what should we expect to budget per week/month for their 'running' costs? Things like food (I believe they need hay, pellets and fresh fruit/veg), bedding (straw or shavings), vets bills etc?

Is there anything I've missed?

Comments

• I have 2 guinea pigs and 4 free rage rabbits (they have the run of the garden lol).

I order 10kg bale of sawdust which is £20 and lasts about 4 months.
    Hay and Straw costs me £7 a month (local shop sells massive bags).
    Guinea pig nuggets cost me £3.50 a month (bag probably actually lasts longer).
    Veg and Fruit a few pounds a week but this does 6 animals.

Touch wood mine have not needed the vet so can't advise there but you may want to loo into neutering costs which I think where around £60ish per animal.

Have you thought about getting them a run?
  • Thank you. That seems to fit with what I've estimated (approx £10 per month - perhaps a bit more with fruit and veg).

Do you mean an outdoor run (do they even do indoor runs?)? To be honest with you it hadn't crossed my mind. Are they essential?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    jonny2510 wrote: »
    Do you mean an outdoor run (do they even do indoor runs?)? To be honest with you it hadn't crossed my mind. Are they essential?
    They do need space, more than just a hutch. Get a decent outdoor run, move it around the lawn in summer and you'll never need to cut the grass again (although in fairness we had LOTS, two might not be up to the task).

You may not be able to keep them outdoor all year round: depends how cold it gets, and you WILL need a very well insulated hutch,

Some friends had theirs in the kitchen for a bit, not in a hutch but in a large (small table sized) 'tray' with a metal grid on top to stop them escaping.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport