Curriculum vitae and dismissal for gross misconduct

13»

Comments

• Nookie5 wrote: »
    How did they even find out? If you fill in a P60 no one should know unless someone from your previous job badmouthed you to your new employer. I don't think different trusts shares employee database details with each other.

A P60 is an annual form issued by an employer.
    Did you mean a P46? If so, they were discontinued a few years ago.
  • If you confident your appeal will be successful. Therefore overturning the dismissal for gross misconduct. Then just put "dismissed pending appeal" in your CV, and provided the details in your covering letter.

There's many way employers can find out about peoples previous employment. Social media the most common, but also gossip (someone who knows a friend that knows a friend of your friend etc). But lesser know ways are via things like databases such as one "allegedly" kept by retail loss preventions sister company (can't remember the name now) who "allegedly" would search their database, on request of employers, to see if any employees or perspective employees were on it. Also business groups that companies are members off could have databases. Not saying it's legal, given data protection act etc. But if no one knows or can proof such secret database exists and data is shared then it's not something there's much that can be done to stop.
  • If someone is “confident” their appeal will be successful, why bother updating their CV.

Comedy gold.
  • @casey

Because if they update CV to say "dismissed pending appeal" its a factual statement. It also gives the OP opportunity to explain his version of things, which would be supported upon appeal being successful.

It also means the OP doesn't run the risk of finding new employment only for the new employer to find out they lied on there CV and weren't still presently employed, which could cost the OP his new employment.I fail to see where the comedy in that is.

As an alleged HIgh court Judge, am sure you would appreciate someone being honest and factual more than someone who is dishonest and misleading.

Who you having dinner with this week? Theresa May? I'm sure she would appreciate some advice. We all know she needs it.
  • @casey

Because if they update CV to say "dismissed pending appeal" its a factual statement.

which would guarantee no interview with 99% of employers. Why take a chance, when you can not take a chance?
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • @casey

Because if they update CV to say "dismissed pending appeal" its a factual statement. It also gives the OP opportunity to explain his version of things, which would be supported upon appeal being successful.

It also means the OP doesn't run the risk of finding new employment only for the new employer to find out they lied on there CV and weren't still presently employed, which could cost the OP his new employment.I fail to see where the comedy in that is.

As an alleged HIgh court Judge, am sure you would appreciate someone being honest and factual more than someone who is dishonest and misleading.

Who you having dinner with this week? Theresa May? I'm sure she would appreciate some advice. We all know she needs it.

You make me laugh even you don’t mean to. There’s no logic to sending out a CV with dismissed on it if you are going to be employed by them.

As you are someone with 10 years employment law experience, I don’t need to tell you that us high court judges don’t prep for cases. The parties make their case and we retire to consider the relevant law.

Martin was a model guest though bringing Lidl wine was expected.
  • @brassic @casey

But you are both assuming that the OPs confidence in his appeal being successful will become a reality

If he puts still presently employed, and loses his appeal, he could loose his new job for misleading the new employer.

If he puts dismissal pending appeal, then regardless of outcome he won't loose his new job.

Granted we all assuming he finds new employment prior to appeal, which is what the OP is concerned about I believe.

@casey.

Sorry if my 10years employment experience meant I wasn't aware that you alleged high court judges don't have any paper work to read relating to the case your due to hear, or indeed wash your wig or garments.

Lidl wine, surprised you didn't throw the statue book at him for that gross offense.
  • @brassic @casey

But you are both assuming that the OPs confidence in his appeal being successful will become a reality

If he puts still presently employed, and loses his appeal, he could loose his new job for misleading the new employer.

If he puts dismissal pending appeal, then regardless of outcome he won't loose his new job.

Granted we all assuming he finds new employment prior to appeal, which is what the OP is concerned about I believe.

@casey.

Sorry if my 10years employment experience meant I wasn't aware that you alleged high court judges don't have any paper work to read relating to the case your due to hear, or indeed wash your wig or garments.

Lidl wine, surprised you didn't throw the statue book at him for that gross offense.

The gift that keeps on giving.

It was you that introduced the concept of confidence not the OP.

It was Martin who brought the Lidl wine, as expected.
  • I would not put anything about dismissal on the CV.

Most CVs will just have employer, dates of employment and details of duties. You wouldn't normally put reason for leaving on a CV.

The Op should only start talking about the dismissal if he/she gets asked about reasons for leaving at interview.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I agree with steampowered. Take the middle ground. put the dates of your employment in the cv but don't go out of your way to say you were sacked / there is an appeal etc.
    If asked your reason for leaving then explain. Would be good to ask your company exactly what they plan to say in a reference. In my experience ive seen plenty that give dates of employment and nothing else. Unless your company has a duty to disclose it. Also depends what you did. Forgetting a process might have dangerous consequences but at the end of the day was an accident. However stealing or assaulting someone is different.
    I think most employers will value honesty. Explain that you messed up and you regret it and reassure them it won't happen again. Hiding something just makes you look dodgy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure