Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Comments

• nik_k
    nik_k Posts: 301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Thanks all! Will follow this advice and will rinse the account a couple of times...
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    For as long as I can remember they've always said you had to "pay in at least £1,000 within three months of opening the account" to get their cash switching incentive. It's not a new clause for the 'gift' incentive.
    Once again, my mistake. I had not realised that nik_k was only referring to the splitting the £1,000 deposit required in the first 3 months
  • dekkard
    dekkard Posts: 229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Given that I'm looking to apply for a mortgage in summer next year, would it be a bad idea to switch current accounts now?

I believe having a long relationship with a bank counts for a lot. Would I jeopardise my credit rating by switching now?
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,965 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    dekkard wrote: »
    Given that I'm looking to apply for a mortgage in summer next year, would it be a bad idea to switch current accounts now?

I believe having a long relationship with a bank counts for a lot. Would I jeopardise my credit rating by switching now?

Open up a donor account and switch that.
  • dan-_3
    dan-_3 Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just in case anyone else is thinking of jumping on the Natwest rewards bandwagon on the last day of the switching bonus... I think that they're having some issues with high demand.

I completed the application process earlier, spending about half an hour providing all my details because the website was running slowly. I was then greeted with this page: https://personal.natwest.com/personal/current-accounts/next_steps.html
    with no indication of whether my application had been successful or not.

Three hours later, I recieve an e-mail asking for feedback on why I didn't complete the application...

As I was already second-guessing my decision to move away from First Direct, I've decided to stick with the award-winning customer service instead of the cash back to switch to a bank much lower down the rankings.
  • Regards the recent Nat West cash incentive. Like others I filled out the online stuff - they said they would be in touch - then nothing. I can't be bothered chasing it up. They are probably just trawling for potential data etc. However what I find worrying is the official line (and MSE) is that switching is a good thing etc. However, if the banks are not going to play fair then it might be a good idea for MSE to keep a record when banks such as Natwest don't follow through and demote them or score them badly for this in future offers. It might save MSE members a lot of trouble and effort and 'out' the less reputable banks?
  • dan-_3
    dan-_3 Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Regards the recent Nat West cash incentive. Like others I filled out the online stuff - they said they would be in touch - then nothing. I can't be bothered chasing it up. They are probably just trawling for potential data etc. However what I find worrying is the official line (and MSE) is that switching is a good thing etc. However, if the banks are not going to play fair then it might be a good idea for MSE to keep a record when banks such as Natwest don't follow through and demote them or score them badly for this in future offers. It might save MSE members a lot of trouble and effort and 'out' the less reputable banks?

I'm still chalking up Natwest's errors on this to incompetence, rather than any nefarious purposes. However, it does raise some interesting questions about data security.

After my application went nowhere, I contacted Natwest to ask what happened and specifically asked that any personal details they had be deleted. I was told that they had no record of my application at all... ...Two days later, I receive an email from Natwest asking me to supply additional paperwork to support my application!

I'll post the whole details and timeline for info later.
  • Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I was just wondering when you switch current accounts to get the signing up bonus, do you have to close all the accounts you hold with the current accounts you hold with the last bank or just one?

Thanks!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    h0llss_ wrote: »
    Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I was just wondering when you switch current accounts to get the signing up bonus, do you have to close all the accounts you hold with the current accounts you hold with the last bank or just one?
    In general, switching incentives require that you use the Current Account Switching Service, and this automatically closes the one current account you nominate to switch, but no others.
  • Hi, I'm saving for a house so have quite a bit stored away. Any ideas why the Santander 123 account is not listed in the top tables as getting 1.5% back on a easy access account is pretty good even taking into account the fees?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback