Best put on my big girl pants! my saving for a deposit diary

Options

Comments

• mumof3.12kindebt
    Options
    It's been 12 months since I officially started this diary ... As in 12 months since we put a 'plan' in place.

In that time we have paid off around 16k in debt. we have gone from zero savings to having a £5k emergency fund . And we have £200 in our moving fund .

I don't know how.... But we have achieved so much more than I anticipated. I originally thought we would have around 15k saved at a push. And around 3k of the debt paid off. But when you work it out. From somewhere we have found 21k to achieve the above.

I think Martin Lewis would be quite proud. :money:

Our total income for this period was about 35k including all the overtime I did.

I actually can't believe it :j

We cut right back to achieve this. There was times we really did go without to achieve this . Our date nights and days out were only possible because of family gifting us vouchers etc for Xmas and birthdays

But the biggest achievement is how our mindset with money and behaviour with money has changed.

I'm not embarrassed to say I use to be awful with money . Hence why I was in debt.

But I've worked my !!! off this last year. And I've managed to achieve more than even I thought possible.

So here's to the next 12 months.

By the end of next year I want at least 15k in my house fund account.

Let's do this !
    June 17 £16,000 debt ~ nov 18 DEBT FREE •June 21 £16,308 debt / july 22 debt free •Original mortgage free date 01/06/2059 current mortgage free date 01/05/2046
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done x
  • selloptape
    Options
    That's an amazing achievement :)
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    That is really impressive well done.
    CRx
  • mumof3.12kindebt
    Options
    Morning all ,
    Hope you are all well.

Thank you for your lovely messages. It really helps to spur me on.

Going to continue to try and add to the savings between now and the new year.

I need to go back through our bank statements and see where we can cut back.

To achieve next year's aim I need to save £1154 a month between now and December 2019.

As long as our income doesn't change to much this should be achievable, as long as we have another frugal year. I just need to stay focused. We planned to be debt free and buy a place originally by the time we were 35. I then reduced that to 30. If we continue how we are we will achieve it before 30.

Oldest turns ten in January. We turn 27 in July. Oldest finishes primary school in July 2020 . I'd love to move before the end of 2020 . That gives us two years.

So two years. 25k deposit plus moving costs. So around 35k . I need to find some additional income from somewhere but it wouldn't be impossible to achieve the above.

25 months to go ... Possible ... We can only try our best and see!
    June 17 £16,000 debt ~ nov 18 DEBT FREE •June 21 £16,308 debt / july 22 debt free •Original mortgage free date 01/06/2059 current mortgage free date 01/05/2046
  • mumof3.12kindebt
    Options
    Countdown

25 months
    Left
  • mumof3.12kindebt
    Options
    Bricklane 246
    Help to save 150 (including bonus)
    Emergency fund 5000
    House fund 208
    Total 5604

Debt 0
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's been 12 months since I officially started this diary ... As in 12 months since we put a 'plan' in place.

In that time we have paid off around 16k in debt. we have gone from zero savings to having a £5k emergency fund . And we have £200 in our moving fund .

I don't know how.... But we have achieved so much more than I anticipated. I originally thought we would have around 15k saved at a push. And around 3k of the debt paid off. But when you work it out. From somewhere we have found 21k to achieve the above.

I think Martin Lewis would be quite proud. :money:

Our total income for this period was about 35k including all the overtime I did.

I actually can't believe it :j

We cut right back to achieve this. There was times we really did go without to achieve this . Our date nights and days out were only possible because of family gifting us vouchers etc for Xmas and birthdays

But the biggest achievement is how our mindset with money and behaviour with money has changed.

I'm not embarrassed to say I use to be awful with money . Hence why I was in debt.

But I've worked my !!! off this last year. And I've managed to achieve more than even I thought possible.

So here's to the next 12 months.

By the end of next year I want at least 15k in my house fund account.

Let's do this !

I think Martin Lewis would indeed be proud :money: and nice to hear you are proud of what you’ve achieved over the 12 months. Really well done :T
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • mumof3.12kindebt
    Options
    Yesterday and today I've been at work. My only day off this week is Saturday. But it will all help with getting the ball rolling with the savings. I'll be working as much as possible between now and the 21st of December. I'm just going to do a few shifts during the Xmas holidays and next year I think I'm going to concentrate on 3 shifts a week . 3 days at work 4 days at home with the kids.
    When we get closer to being ready to move I'll do 5 days again to get the last bit saved as quick as possible.

Nothing else to really report.

Have a good evening all. I'm off to watch a film with the kids
  • mumof3.12kindebt
    Options
    I've shuffled some spare pennies around so now have £250 in house fund
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure