Sky house moving

Was just wanting to gather some thoughts on my sky t.v package.

I have Sky Q box and Sky multiroom which I am in contract until June.

When an engineer came about an issue he mentioned that they would be more than happy to change everything to the new house.

Was taken aback when they quoted me £35 charge for the convenience and it has come to light that people I know who wasn't in contract had this done for free so I aren't sure whether it is that they have me over a barrel.

Has anyone experienced this before and avoided the charge? And if I said I will cancel if there is charge how much would I pay?

Thank you

Comments

• That's their standard house move fee and includes (if necessary) a new dish and cabling put in. You're normally charged whether you're in contract or not (I wasn't when I moved and paid it).

If you cancel you'll pay upfront for the contract you've agreed to up until June next year. There's no new contract when you do move BTW.
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,441
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    That's their standard house move fee and includes (if necessary) a new dish and cabling put in. You're normally charged whether you're in contract or not (I wasn't when I moved and paid it).

If you cancel you'll pay upfront for the contract you've agreed to up until June next year. There's no new contract when you do move BTW.

Some clarification on the last comment would be helpful. There is always some sort of contract in place. Do you mean that if you do move then it's possible for a new contract at a different address to replace a previous contract under the same terms, as long as a house move fee is paid?

If any contract is taken out that is connected to physical address then as a general rule as a normal person I would expect that there may be fees or charges to be paid if I want to move it to a different address. I would expect this to apply to most types of insurance for example. Telecoms and TV vary but there can be hefty cancellations if you're in contract at one address and want to move out or leave before the end of a contract term. They can be mitigated as in the above example if the provider is able and willing to provide a similar service at the new address.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I moved house in July. I paid the £35 and an engineer erected a new Sky Q dish; cabling etc. I was out of contract and remain so. I suspect that if you have 6 months left on your present contract, this will not change.
  • anniecave wrote: »
    Some clarification on the last comment would be helpful. There is always some sort of contract in place. Do you mean that if you do move then it's possible for a new contract at a different address to replace a previous contract under the same terms, as long as a house move fee is paid?

If any contract is taken out that is connected to physical address then as a general rule as a normal person I would expect that there may be fees or charges to be paid if I want to move it to a different address. I would expect this to apply to most types of insurance for example. Telecoms and TV vary but there can be hefty cancellations if you're in contract at one address and want to move out or leave before the end of a contract term. They can be mitigated as in the above example if the provider is able and willing to provide a similar service at the new address.

If you mean the following:-
    There's no new contract when you do move BTW.

then I'm not sure what you think needs clarifying. Sky don't tie you to a new contract when you move, the same T&C's apply at both addresses. @Hengus above was out of contract, I was (and still am) in a rolling monthly contract myself but it doesn't matter if you're only 1 month in to an 18 month contract, there is no change.

The £35 fee (£50 I think if you want a Saturday or Sunday appointment) is for putting up a new dish and cabling and connecting it all up. That £35 also included in my case moving my (rolling monthly again) BB at the same time although I left for NowTV fibre a month after moving (I needed time to check the ADSL speed).

I'm afraid I don't understand what it is beyond the above that you're actually saying or asking.
  • Yes, Colin_Maybe is right. We moved last year whilst in contract and we paid the £35 fee and got a new dish and cabling installed at the new house. Many companies may insist on a new minimum contract at that stage but Sky didn't, they continued the contract that was in force at the old house, which I thought was very reasonable.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure