PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dispute over driveway

Hi we bought a detached house in December 2016. At the front of our house there is our drive and garden. Then in front of our house there is a drive that stops at next doors garage. Next door is in the corner. On our deeds and the plan shows it too. It says that the drive belongs to us and neighbours have access.

A person bought the house last month to rent it. Now new tenants are moving in. We asked the letting agents to ask the ll to request thst his tenants don't park on the drive.

We have been told that the ll thinks he owns the drive. He contacted his solicitor who said there are two different plans for his house.

Ll is coming to see us on Monday.

If next door park at the top of the drive it doesn't cause any problems (apart from having to see their car when we look out of living room window ) also if it got damaged we would have to pay for repairs.
If they another car parks behind their car then it means it's a struggle to get off our drive and we wouldn't be able to get back on the drive. (We have to reverse on to our drive)

Not sure where we stand
Married 09/09/09

Comments

• Personally - I'd take a photocopy of both my modern day Title Plan and the original Deeds and have them ready to give him on Monday.

Sounds like you've got all the proof you need that the drive is yours.

What is confusing me is your post is somewhat unclear in a couple of respects. One of them being that you say "our drive and garden" at the front of your house. You also say "Then in front of our house there is a drive that stops at next doors garage".

Are there two drives?
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Perhaps go and buy their plans/deeds from the LR site and see what it actually says.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    He contacted his solicitor who said there are two different plans for his house.

Ll is coming to see us on Monday.
    Ask him to bring both sets of plans. One of them is clearly wrong.
  • moneysaver12
    moneysaver12 Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Personally - I'd take a photocopy of both my modern day Title Plan and the original Deeds and have them ready to give him on Monday.

Sounds like you've got all the proof you need that the drive is yours.

What is confusing me is your post is somewhat unclear in a couple of respects. One of them being that you say "our drive and garden" at the front of your house. You also say "Then in front of our house there is a drive that stops at next doors garage".

Are there two drives?

Thank you for your help. There are two drives. One drive that is right out side our house. Then the other drive is at the side of it. We have to drive on to this other drive so we can park on the drive right outside our house. Three quarters of the drive run along our property. Then the last quarter is next to the house next door. The last quarter is not big enough for a car to park there with out been partly parked outside our hoyse. Would it help if I posted a link to our house on right move.
    Married 09/09/09
  • AnnieO1234
    AnnieO1234 Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    I get the impression from this it's the same as our set up, although I may be wrong. In that case by "drive" do you mean there is a car port at right angles to the driveway where you park and the neighbours garage faces the driveway at the top of it with the road at the bottom?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Oh, for goodness sake, put a photo up!

https://postimage.io/

I wouldn't ID your house by putting up the Rightmove link.

However, if you do as jbainbridge suggests and buy next door's title plan from the Land Registry(£3) you may get much further with this yourself.

https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-property-and-land/search-the-register
  • moneysaver12
    20170318_090045.jpgimage hosting above 5 mb

Hope this works
    Married 09/09/09
  • moneysaver12
    Married 09/09/09
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    20170318_090045.jpgimage hosting above 5 mb

Hope this works

Presumably that is your car parked bottom left and the let property is to the right of the photo?

Why do you feel you should be able to park on the drive but your neighbours should not?
  • 1. Whose garage is it in the picture - yours or the neighbours?

2. In your second photo - is the car I can see yours and sitting on what you refer to as "your drive in front of your house"?

3. If thats the neighbours garage - where is yours?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure