Mobile Roaming: Cheapest Calls When You're Abroad

Comments

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Problem is that any web address ending in forumtel.com need have nothing whatsoever to do with virgin.com. Any direct link from virgin.com back to Forumtel is all that is needed to give one some confidence that the entire forumtel site is not just a fly by night operation with no actual claim to an association. One unverified email excerpt posted on this thread is not enough.
  • Ziggy_Stardust
    Ziggy_Stardust Posts: 1,418 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    buglawton wrote: »
    Problem is that any web address ending in forumtel.com need have nothing whatsoever to do with virgin.com. Any direct link from virgin.com back to Forumtel is all that is needed to give one some confidence that the entire forumtel site is not just a fly by night operation with no actual claim to an association. One unverified email excerpt posted on this thread is not enough.

Yip I understand what you mean however I contacted Virgin's PR direct, not through a link from Forumtel to verify it, I don't want any scammers getting my credit card details :)
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    edited 27 June 2011 at 5:08AM
    That Forumtel site seems remarkably light on information, like tariffs, or what sort of phone number you have

Or is it there and I'm just not looking carefully enough?
  • Ziggy_Stardust
    redux wrote: »
    That Forumtel site seems remarkably light on information, like tariffs, or what sort of phone number you have

Or is it there and I'm just not looking carefully enough?

https://virginholidays.forumtel.com/ppc/OrderPhones/Rates.aspx
  • redux
    Ok, thanks, I was looking on Forumtel's own section rather than the partner

49 US cents is slightly better than using a UK SIM in Europe, but not enough to bother going for it. It doesn;t mention incoming rates though (unless it's the same, in which case too expensive). And what phone number is it?
  • redux
    By the way, on ordinary main network tariffs, incoming roaming rates in Europe should be dropping again in the next few days, as a 4 cents plus VAT cut in the Eurotariff was laid down some time ago.
  • Ziggy_Stardust
    redux wrote: »
    Ok, thanks, I was looking on Forumtel's own section rather than the partner

49 US cents is slightly better than using a UK SIM in Europe, but not enough to bother going for it. It doesn;t mention incoming rates though (unless it's the same, in which case too expensive). And what phone number is it?

Was looking for this for the USA. I am on another forum where people have used it and said it was good, yet to find out if there is an in-coming call charge or if it is a USA cell number.
  • Ziggy_Stardust
    Ok found out from the virgin rep that there is a 29p per minute charge to receive calls and you get a US phone number. I'm going to give it a bit more thought before getting it.
  • All,

I have been hovering on the MSE website for ages and thought it is time to give something back!

Just would like to share the experience I had with a UK2Abroad SIM card when I visited the West USA in May 2011. I have an IPhone4 and required use of data when I was in the USA, so I hope this article will help those who are in a similar position.

Overall, I thought it was a satisfactory experience. Further details below:

Purchase
    I purchased the SIM card through the MSE link. UK2Abroad allow the SIM card to be cut to MicroSIM size. To do this, the website instructs you to reply to your purchase order email, requesting for the SIM to be pre-cut to microSIM size. They do warn they this will make the product non-refundable.

I did this by email, and they confirmed cutting the SIM card within 24 hours.

Receipt of product/What is included
    The product was shipped from Reading, and I received this the next business day upon the receiving the microSIM pre-cutting email. In the first class envelope, was the pre-cut microSIM, and a sheet containing instructions.

The SIM provided is actually a USA T-Mobile SIM that has been pre-registered. Fellow readers will have noted that it is usually quite difficult to legally get hold of a USA T-Mobile SIM in the UK.

The order came with $10 US credit (for US calls), and £15 UK credit (for calls back to the UK).

The microSIM fitted fine with the IPhone4. Note that you will have had to unlock your IPhone4 first before you will be able to use this SIM.

The instructions do pre-warn you that the SIM will not work in the UK (as it is on a different frequency band compared to that in the UK. Therefore, do not be alarmed if inserting the SIM card into your phone in the UK results in no networks being found.

Activation (Edinburgh Airport)
    Prior to leaving the UK, the instructions advise you to enable divert on your phone, so that all your inbound UK calls to your number are diverted to your US number. Your UK credit is used for this purpose.

Activation (US end - Newark Airport)
    Upon arriving in the USA, I switched on the phone, and the IPhone logged on to the T-Mobile network without a problem.

Making calls in the USA
    I immediately made a phone call to a US phone number in Las Vegas to confirm the reservation for one of my excursions. No issues whatsoever. Clear reception - just make a phone call as you would do normally (i.e. enter uS phone number including area call, then press call). Your US credit will be used for this purpose.

Reception was at least three bars or more in Utah, Arizona and Nevada. I did not find any memorable signal black spots.

Using data
    US T-Mobile uses EDGE data (which is fine for most purposes e.g. emails, Facebook etc) though it is not 3G.

You have to set your APN (as instructed in the purchase note provided by UK2Abroad)

I enabled the EDGE data through a link provided in the note. The charge for data is $1.50 daily for unlimited usage over a 24-hour period. This is deducted from your T-Mobile US credit balance. The website claims that you do not necessarily get access immediately, though I found that I was immediately able to access the Internet upon activating the functionality.

Topping up
    I found the easiest way to top up was by purchasing T-Mobile top-up cards in Walmart/Walgreen/Seven-Eleven and other sundry shops.

You can top-up through the T-Mobile customer service number too, though the automated answering machine failed to recognise my UK-registered credit card and i had to go through a human being. This took much longer.

Points not tested
    - I did not use the discounted call-to-UK functionality as I used the phone primarily to make US phone calls.
    - I am uncertain if SMSes sent to your UK number are diverted to your US T-Mobile number. (I was not sent any UK SMSes during my holidays so was unable to test this)

Summary
    Overall the SIM card was certaily easy-to-use and was useful for making US calls and for accessing the Internet from my Iphone.

I still have the SIM card - if anyone is interested in having a go, PM me.

I think there is not much balance left on the uS credit ($1 at most) but there is £9 left in the UK credit so you will need to top-up the phone once you arrive in the USA.

I am going to be busy for the next few weeks (another busy season at work starts) so I might not respond immediately to forum messages so please bear with me.
  • BAW9DV
    BAW9DV Posts: 9 Forumite
    Hi There,

Thank you for your really helpful report on UK2Abroad. I was thinking seriously about using them, but in the end, after seeing the bad experiences some have had with this company and since they have failed to respond to me contacting them, I decided to use another option. I was also quite concerned that they could not be contacted by phone. There are many reported issues with this company when you trawl the Internet for reviews - it is however, good news that you had a good experience with them.

I have since purchased two REDPOCKET US SIM cards for myself and my wife from an Ebay Business. The cards costs £33.99 and have $10 credit on them. I have also purchased 4 $10 dollar top ups (£6.23 per top up). The Ebay user has 100% feedback and his feedback is full of statements about how great his customer service is. To date, he has replied to every message I have sent and has also removed all postage charges for the top up cards, sending them with the SIMs on the same package - good stuff! Calls to the UK from these SIMS when in the US are charged at $0.16 per minute, as are calls received from the UK (UK caller pays normal call charges to call our UK number and we will "divert" calls received at our UK number, across to the US number, for which we are charged the international part of the call at $0.16 per minute). Calls made within the US (landline and mobile) are $0.10 per minute. Our cards will be activated the day before we go to maximise validity. We will have Los Angeles area phone numbers. We will be using two spare Motorola V3 phones (unlocked) for our US calling.

We leave on 25th July and will be Stateside for 16 days. I will report back on this for you here.

Take care,

Lee
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport