IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Waiting - a thing of the past?

Wanted to update folk on this brilliant forum re the perils of waiting in your car.

I used the "how to appeal a private parking fine" recently for a Sunday fine for a food retailer and was successful.

I used same process for an evening fine near Southampton's foot passenger ferry terminal - and got a raspberry so have paid (sorry to be feeble but far too much on my plate to faff with this further as no evidence in my defence except semantics).

My issue? I often allow lots of time to travel between work meetings, to account for the varying levels of traffic on local motorways etc. This means I sometimes get to places early and have to wait somewhere. It appears that the old "if you don't get out of your car and just wait" definition of waiting doesn't apply if you abide by the law and apply handbrake and turn off engine to cease emissions. You're trapped all ways, even if you aren't in a formal parking bay, keeping out of the way of traffic in and out of the parking area etc etc. I get the fact that these firms expect us all to pay to park (ie leave your vehicle - Highway Code and AA definitions refer) but why should I pay to stay in my vehicle for a short period of time ...during which I could move it at any point if required?

So beware of getting anywhere early and having to wait, unless you (unlike me) have a pocketful of loose change (oh yes, the machines don't like cards either and all too few allow for phone payments).

Tedious

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'm surprised you're surprised ... twas ever thus. As soon as the car is stationary (for more than, say, a minute) then it is parked. Whether the driver is in the vehicle or not, or whether the engine is running or not, the vehicle is parked.
  • Not true DoaM

Loading and unloading is NOT being parked
    Alighting and Boarding is NOT being parked

This is obvious when looking at what you can and cannot do while a vehicle is stationary on DYL on a public road.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904
    First Post
    Forumite
    I'm sure there are plenty of other places to just wait in your vehicle for a while rather than a car park that is being run for profit? I'm thinking country lane, residential housing estate, waste land etc etc.

Don't the places you have the meetings have car parks?
  • bergkamp
    bergkamp Posts: 356
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Astrid_D wrote: »
    Wanted to update folk on this brilliant forum .....

I used same process for an evening fine near Southampton's foot passenger ferry terminal - and got a raspberry so have paid (sorry to be feeble but far too much on my plate to faff with this further as no evidence in my defence except semantics).

Tedious

You clearly don't take much in when you read this brilliant forum....
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    You clearly don't take much in when you read this brilliant forum....

Unfair Mr B. Not all OP's have the time to waste here as they have lives to lead. That reminds me .....
  • bergkamp
    bergkamp Posts: 356
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Unfair Mr B. Not all OP's have the time to waste here as they have lives to lead. That reminds me .....

Indeed, but the OP does read the forum, they called it brilliant!

The idea of handing money over to the PPC that rejected the appeal, to the invoice that the same PPC dished out... _pale_
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Not true DoaM

Loading and unloading is NOT being parked
    Alighting and Boarding is NOT being parked

This is obvious when looking at what you can and cannot do while a vehicle is stationary on DYL on a public road.

In the context of what's written in the OP my post is correct. The OP is talking about car parks, not DYLs. And such car parks most likely have ANPR cameras that record time on site not time parked.

I agree that alighting and boarding is (probably) not parking. But then again such activities shouldn't take more than a minute or so ... if it takes longer (i.e. the driver is waiting for the passenger) then the vehicle is parked.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I again disagree. "parked" has a common meaning, and for a PPC to try to change this they must be ABSOLUTELY explciit. None are. In addition, by using DYL whcih have an absolutely well defined meaning in law on public roads, then again they must be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR if they are differing from this commonly known meaning.

Assisted boarding and alighting takes as long as is necessary - I suggest you read some council ticket forums, i.e. pepipo, if you disagree, because you are factually wrong.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904
    First Post
    Forumite

Assisted boarding and alighting takes as long as is necessary

Indeed - but then you've got to ask why it's necessary to do this in a CAR PARK run for profit? There are many other places one can drop passengers off, surely?
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Because that is the location closest to where the assistance is required?
    It still is not parking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport