PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Taylor Wimpey Options

2»

Comments

• SquirrelRM
    SquirrelRM Posts: 41 Forumite
    TDPIX wrote: »
    Sounds like you had a good deal there, well done :)

Our current 3 bed semi is 753 square foot (built in the 1970s). Our (soon to be) new build will be a 1180 square foot 4 bed, so a fair bit bigger than our current non-new-build.

I haven't ever seen a 1900 square foot semi in this area, so maybe it's area specific?

(All our normal sized furniture will fit fine in the new build, too).
    Thanks for this! Was beginning to think we were purchasing a hobbit hole! :rotfl:
  • Captain89
    Captain89 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    1180 seems small to me for a 4 bed house. I just bought a new 2 bed terrace and its 904 sf. The Standard 3 beds here are 1250 sf and these are not what I would consider good sized houses.
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    So ours is a three bed semi, with upstairs bathroom and downstairs cloakroom.

We looked at the Karndean flooring for basically the whole house except stairs and landing - £7500.

We are very keen on having hard floors so much as possible but, not at that pricing, which is roughly £80 per square metre for us.

A local independent flooring firm have luxury vinyl for £10/sq m, then another £10/sq m to fit. I can't imaging the screed is going to be the extra £60/sq m so, no thanks TW.

We didn't go for any upgrades and they didn't offer to throw anything in :-( but they are giving us money toward stamp duty instead.

All we committed to was a shaver socket in the bathroom, and two extra power points, one for the cupboard under the stairs where the Dyson can go!
  • SeagullFTB wrote: »
    Just a quick update.

We had our options meeting with Taylor Wimpey. We got:

- Upgraded kitchen cupboard doors (New York style)
    - Standard kitchen work top.
    - Upgraded stainless steel extractor hood.
    - Standard stainless steel splashback.
    - Integrated dishwasher and 70/30 fridge-freezer.
    - Standard bathrom tiles in both the main bathroom and en suite.
    - Upgraded shower and shower screen over bath.

Total cost: £0

They threw it all in.

We got a quote for the flooring and built in wardrobe.

For hardwood flooring in kitchen, lounge and hallway, carpet in both bedrooms and tiles in both bathrooms, it'll be about £4500. A two door built in wardrobe is £750.

We're going to get other quotes before making a decision.

How did you manage to secure those upgrades at no extra cost? What was the benefit for Taylor Wimpey in giving you that free of charge, presumably without any commitment from yourself to opt for upgraded flooring etc? I am due to have an options meeting in the next few weeks and it would of course be useful to know how to get them to budge.
  • dh058977
    dh058977 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    How did you manage to secure those upgrades at no extra cost? What was the benefit for Taylor Wimpey in giving you that free of charge, presumably without any commitment from yourself to opt for upgraded flooring etc? I am due to have an options meeting in the next few weeks and it would of course be useful to know how to get them to budge.

We have recently purchased a 4 bed Taylor Wimpey property in the South East and we were offered £5k towards extras / options right off the bat.

When it came to the options meeting I actually expected them to have conveniently 'forgotten' the offer as it was just a flippant comment when we first looked but they were true to their word and took £5k off the £8k of choices we made.

If anyone wants to see a break down of the costs we were given, just let me know.

We went for . . .
    Fully tiled en suite and main bathroom, 3/4 height in the cloakroom.
    Shower over bath and screen
    Towel rails in all three
    Some extra sockets
    Outside tap & 2 outside sockets
    Doorbell (Yes, that was extra!)
    Integrated appliances (DW, WM and FF)
    A few other bits like a square sink in the en suite, soft close toilet seats etc

I have since been talking to the groundworkers to get some extra patio laid.
  • SeagullFTB
    SeagullFTB Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper

We asked if any white goods were included before we reserved the property. We were told that they weren't, but they then offers to throw in a few extras such as the fridge-freezer and dishwasher. The items listed were the only incentives that we got. We couldn't swing anything more.

Annoyingly, a few days after reserving the property, they began to advertise the remaining properties with 'stamp duty paid', which we were no longer eligible for.
  • We had a £5k options voucher and nothing else. The development is selling well so no reason for them to offer much else.

We went elsewhere for the flooring as TW were too much. However, they do sub it out to another company, so an extra margin is going on. One thing to consider, they told us that they would not allow any workmen (fitters) on site prior to completion. Not ideal when you are moving in and having the carpets fitted at the same time.

Some options are better value than others.

Overall, TW have been very fair and decent with us, including trimming all of our doors for free, which they didn't need to do.
  • When you're choosing extras in a new build, make sure to have a look at the number and location of sockets, as well as where they're putting the radiators and light/isolation switches etc. Sometimes they don't put in enough, or they don't put things in sensible places. If you catch it early then you can ask for them to be moved. More sockets will come at a cost, but I thought it was worth it to avoid the mess later on!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    When you're choosing extras in a new build, make sure to have a look at the number and location of sockets, as well as where they're putting the radiators and light/isolation switches etc. Sometimes they don't put in enough, or they don't put things in sensible places. If you catch it early then you can ask for them to be moved. More sockets will come at a cost, but I thought it was worth it to avoid the mess later on!

Great advice. Take a walk around and look at where extra sockets can go, almost certainly there aren't enough to start with.
  • TW wouldn't budge on the house price - understandably so, as they don't want to "optically" devalue the surrounding properties.

They did throw in the following, free of charge:

1) kitchen upgrade (breakfast bar, level 2 cupboard doors, 5 burner hob and chimney digestory, eye level double oven, 50/50 fridge freezer - ugh)
    2) carpeting throughout both floors (although we opted for hardwood downstairs)
    3) bathroom upgrade to thermostatic shower over bath and filing in the bath
    4) stamp duty
    5) appliance upgrade from Zanussi to AEG

Despite the olive branch, it will still cost us upwards of 10k to get what we really want. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure