fence to seperate shared driveway

Options

Comments

• the_shreksta
    Options
    i know it seems petty but it is what it is. my friend has an expensive car and i guess he doesnt want people driving close to it when there is no need to.

i will be wanting to fence down my drive way to seperate it as we will be having a couple of dogs so i will want to gate it off at the end of the house.

as for the fence being totally on my side and losing room..............posts are 3 and 3/4 inch thick so every 6ft i will lose that much-i can easily live with that.

thanks for the replies
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I am trying to picture the driveway.

You say double width so not necessarily 'shared' as each house probably has its own strip to do with as they see fit. Does it narrow between the houses and then out again towards the rear garages?

How long is it - if Mrs Neighbour car is parked on drive then it sounds like there is enough space to drive around it on your friends side of the drive, past the houses and then into the rear garage??

I can;t see how the neighbour can park in the middle of such a drive and think that is OK or is it just off centre enough to be a pain - i'd certainly take to parking my own car on my own bit if he was taking advantage (nothing provocative or aggressive about parking your own car on your own drive)

if my assumptions on the layout are correct and your friend does not need vehicular access to the garage then, as already suggested, some nice pots with summer flowers on your friends side could help reinforce own property boundaries as a temporary measure without the expense of a fence for now.

FWIW - if your friend goes down the fence route then be prepared for neighbour to be checking to the millimetre on the location of the boundary line!
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 July 2017 at 10:54AM
    Options
    Rubbing along with neighbours is priceless (ask anyone with a serious neighbour issue)

Unless there is more to it, your friend is petty and pettiness can escalate (as it is doing here - neighbour probably couldn't believe it - ). I'd shake my head and leave him to it.

Are there really people who mind their next door neighbour nipping across their drive for a bit of convenience?

For your own drive OP (can't see pictures) - you probably have the right to do it but neighbours are still likely to be disgruntled if you materially alter the general appearance of the immediate area - eg 20 open plan drives with one fenced in can look a bit odd or if you build something rather ugly or oversized. In a previous house the pet owners often fenced and gated to the corner of the actual house leaving the part of the drive/garden which meets the road still quite open.
  • Icecannon
    Icecannon Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    Clearly it's not a friend you are asking for as you keep forgetting and sayings it's your land and car and you are getting dogs...

Your neighbour has already retaliated so if this turns into a neighbour from hell situation you have only yourself to blame.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, if I was the neighbour, and you said you were wanting to fence off as you have dogs, I'd have no problem. If you wanted to fence off because I occasionally drive on your side of the tarmac, I'd be slightly bewildered and amused about how petty that sounds. The former seems to make perfect sense, the latter is like those people who put signs on their garden wall saying no parking to stop people parking on the road outside their house. Red rag to a bull. IMO, your friend would be better off in the long run sharing a bottle or two with their neighbour and playing nice.
  • the_shreksta
    Options
    Icecannon wrote: »
    Clearly it's not a friend you are asking for as you keep forgetting and sayings it's your land and car and you are getting dogs...

Your neighbour has already retaliated so if this turns into a neighbour from hell situation you have only yourself to blame.

hhhhmmm interesting.........

when my house is built and i actually move in (around 6 weeks time) i will let you know...........

idiot
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    hhhhmmm interesting.........

when my house is built and i actually move in (around 6 weeks time) i will let you know...........

idiot
    With an attitude like that, what could possibly go wrong? See you in 8 weeks when you'll probably be posting about your own driveway dispute...
  • the_shreksta
    Options
    Ant555 wrote: »
    I am trying to picture the driveway.

You say double width so not necessarily 'shared' as each house probably has its own strip to do with as they see fit. Does it narrow between the houses and then out again towards the rear garages?

How long is it - if Mrs Neighbour car is parked on drive then it sounds like there is enough space to drive around it on your friends side of the drive, past the houses and then into the rear garage??

I can;t see how the neighbour can park in the middle of such a drive and think that is OK or is it just off centre enough to be a pain - i'd certainly take to parking my own car on my own bit if he was taking advantage (nothing provocative or aggressive about parking your own car on your own drive)

if my assumptions on the layout are correct and your friend does not need vehicular access to the garage then, as already suggested, some nice pots with summer flowers on your friends side could help reinforce own property boundaries as a temporary measure without the expense of a fence for now.

FWIW - if your friend goes down the fence route then be prepared for neighbour to be checking to the millimetre on the location of the boundary line!

i suppose shared driveway was the wrong description, its a double width driveway between 2 detached houses leading to a double garage (1 half for each house) and there is nothing to mark or seperate the 2 halves of the drive. his neighbour is a bell-end, always having loud parties etc and always shouting in the back yard etc, basically just a pain in the !!!!.

his drive is around 1 car length from the path to the house then the length of the house to the garage (possibly park 3 cars end to end on it)
  • the_shreksta
    Options
    With an attitude like that, what could possibly go wrong? See you in 8 weeks when you'll probably be posting about your own driveway dispute...

perhaps i should have said thankyou to him for pretty much calling me a liar then..................
  • the_shreksta
    Options
    warby68 wrote: »
    Rubbing along with neighbours is priceless (ask anyone with a serious neighbour issue)

Unless there is more to it, your friend is petty and pettiness can escalate (as it is doing here - neighbour probably couldn't believe it - ). I'd shake my head and leave him to it.

Are there really people who mind their next door neighbour nipping across their drive for a bit of convenience?

For your own drive OP (can't see pictures) - you probably have the right to do it but neighbours are still likely to be disgruntled if you materially alter the general appearance of the immediate area - eg 20 open plan drives with one fenced in can look a bit odd or if you build something rather ugly or oversized. In a previous house the pet owners often fenced and gated to the corner of the actual house leaving the part of the drive/garden which meets the road still quite open.

petty or not its his driveway and its cheeky for the neighbour to not ask and just use it, if he asked if he minded then there wouldnt be an issue i guess.

regarding what you say about fencing to the corner of the house and leaving the front open is exactly what i plan to do, maybe a 6 inch kick-board and a 5ft arch top panel would look ok i guess and not so fort knox.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure