PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Taking ex-housemate to Small Claims Court

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here could give some advise on dealing with an ex-housemate who owes me quite a bit of money from when we lived together. I'll try and keep things as concise as possible.

My ex housemate and I parted ways to live somewhere else near the end of January. However because of the rent setup we had, whereby all rent and bills came out of my account, he still owes me £829.

He has moved all the way up to Newcastle (I am down south) and has refused to reply to any of my emails and Facebook messages asking for the arrears he owes me since.

I was pretty stupid in allowing such a rent setup like this whereby I pay all rent and bills and he pays it to me, but it was the only real way to make it work as he had bankruptcies on his credit report and didn't earn enough to pass the affordability check.We basically did all that stuff on me, although his name was also on the lease. I am quite confident that he is hoping to just cut off all communication with me and not pay this.

Anyway, after lots of drama and nonsense which I wont waste your time with it has left me in this situation. I feel that the only way to get what is owed to me is via the small claims process, however there are some concerns/questions that I have which I will list.

I know he is now living with his mother at her hotel. If the orders get sent to him there, and he just ignore them, will I just win by default?

Will what I have be enough evidence? I can show both our names on the lease, and my bank account showing every single bill and rental payment coming out, as well as a spreadsheet we kept showing what he owed/paid each month. I also have chat logs, etc of me asking for payment, and him agreeing to pay, etc. My only concern is that he would usually always pay me in cash, which many times I would just keep in my pocket for the month. Could the ex housemate just claim he did pay it in cash? As a result I'm concerned the judge might just see it as a 'your word against his' kind of thing and dismiss it, even though Ive got all the paperwork and he has none.

The other concern is that even if I win, is there much chance of me seeing any of that money? This guy is a complete loser. He is in his 40s and living with his mum (working at her hotel I think), with no credit. As a result I don't think he would even care about paying even if there was a CCJ against him and on his credit report, as his credit is already completely shot.

I've had conflicting advice usually bouncing between those who think I should pursue it, and those more in the 'its not worth it, just write it off' camp.

So if anyone has been in a similar situation or has any advise, I would really appreciate it, and will answer any questions anyone has, as I'm still in 2 minds about what to do.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    BinkadyBoo wrote: »

I know he is now living with his mother at her hotel. If the orders get sent to him there, and he just ignore them, will I just win by default?
    Yes. Unless he later gets it set aside by claiming he did not live there and did not receive the notice. In which case you start again..

Will what I have be enough evidence? I can show both our names on the lease, and my bank account showing every single bill and rental payment coming out, as well as a spreadsheet we kept showing what he owed/paid each month. I also have chat logs, etc of me asking for payment, and him agreeing to pay, etc.
    That is prety good evidence, but....
    My only concern is that he would usually always pay me in cash, which many times I would just keep in my pocket for the month. Could the ex housemate just claim he did pay it in cash?
    Yes - he could.
    As a result I'm concerned the judge might just see it as a 'your word against his' kind of thing and dismiss it, even though Ive got all the paperwork and he has none.
    The judge will decide 'on the balance of probability' who he believes, so it depends how convincing the defendant is.....

(it is easier than in a criminal court, where the prosecution must prove the case 'beyond all reasonable doubt')

The other concern is that even if I win, is there much chance of me seeing any of that money? This guy is a complete loser. He is in his 40s and living with his mum (working at her hotel I think), with no credit. As a result I don't think he would even care about paying even if there was a CCJ against him and on his credit report, as his credit is already completely shot.
    If he has no assets, and no income, the court will order him to pay £5 pw or something, which he may or may not pay.
    Bailiffs won't help if he has nothing to seize. Without a job, you caanot get it deducted from his pay.

I've had conflicting advice usually bouncing between those who think I should pursue it, and those more in the 'its not worth it, just write it off' camp.

* My guess is you have an 80% chance of winning in court
    * you have a 10% chance of him then paying
    * you will incur court fees etc. If you win these will be added to what he must pay, but if he does not pay that is just an extra expense for you.

* Judging this purely financially, you will probably be worse off if you pursue this - though you might be lucky.
    * pursuing it will also take up your time, be stressful, and increase your resentment if you lose, or win but don't receive the money
    * if you win, AND receive the money, you will be financially better off, AND feel great satisfaction.
    * you may get some satisfaction by seeing him get a CCJ, even if you never see the money

Only you can decide.
  • sparky130a
    sparky130a Posts: 660 Forumite
    I'll try and keep things as concise as possible.

You failed.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,273
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    At the very least, I'd send a "letter before action". I've had someone who owed me several hundred pounds cough up pretty quickly once that landed on their doormat. Though I had concrete evidence and they had assets.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Wishing you good luck with this.

In your position - I'd continue with pursuing it through the small claims court. I would ensure I told the judge why I'd been the one sorting out re the paying (ie I'd say he had bankruptcies).

I've just clicked it's bankruptcies (ie plural) and you entered into that arrangement with him..........!

For your own self-respect though - you have to chase him and here's hoping his mother (if not him) isnt prepared to see a private individual let down by her son and she might "cover him" by paying up on his behalf - and then try to get the money he'd owe her back out of him later.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    sparky130a wrote: »
    You failed.

Another helpful post from you.
  • sparky130a
    sparky130a Posts: 660 Forumite
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    Another helpful post from you.

Was i accurate?

Yes, i was. Which makes your post even less pointless and unhelpful. To anyone. Ever.

I've no desire to argue with you but come on.....
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

There's no point pursuing this if he doesn't have money. You're just throwing good money after bad (firstly to get as far as a CCJ, and then more to enforce it if he doesn't cough up voluntarily).
  • davidmcn wrote: »
    There's no point pursuing this if he doesn't have money. You're just throwing good money after bad (firstly to get as far as a CCJ, and then more to enforce it if he doesn't cough up voluntarily).

Personally - I wouldnt be too concerned who paid the money owed - as long as I got my money back (hence mentioning the mother).

I've chased someone for money they owed me before now - and someone else paid on their behalf. I wasn't going to concern myself with whether the debtor paid back that person close to them or no....:cool:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 11 March 2017 at 7:40PM
    I agree with the 80/10% posting.., but when you watch the 'Bailiffs are Coming' and 'Can't Pay Won't Pay' programmes, they will go into a relatives house, if the defendant is staying there and say they will take everything in there unless the relative has proof (receipts) showing they own every stick in there. This tends to make the relative either pay up or force the defendant to pay up. Then its a matter between them (defendant paying mother back and maybe finally learning a lesson although he got this way probably through family 'rescuing him'.).

So it might be more worthwhile than thought to pursue this but depends on how good the Bailiffs are.

I'd suggest you watch a few of these programmes. There are a few occasions when they come away with nothing but only if the defendant has nothing AND there's no way to apply pressure.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Personally - I wouldnt be too concerned who paid the money owed - as long as I got my money back (hence mentioning the mother).
    Why would mother pay his debts? She obviously hasn't in the past.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure