Project Mortgage Neutral Begins

Comments

• ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have confused myself. I drip feed our home savings account monthly for our house insurance, management charge and cleaning money, all the money required for the upcoming bills had been taken out this month but we still have £681 in the account??? I think I maybe need to record something else to not get as confused. We need to find an extra £670 to pay for our holiday in April so this can be absorbed this way I guess. It is a nice place to find ourselves in but I am used to knowing how our money works to the penny so it is a little unsettling. I can only think we maybe had some extra money and decided to put it in there in case we needed it.
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £400/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £14950.12/£22787.04
  • Sounds like you need a spreadsheet to record the comings and goings in your various accounts :)
  • ajmoney
    Sounds like you need a spreadsheet to record the comings and goings in your various accounts :)
    I think so too! I need to simplify some of my info so maybe I will start over with everything.

Mr AJM has reserved the car today, he has been offered an amazing trade in for his car as well as a good deal on the car he is buying. He still wants us to stick to getting rid of the larger mortgage next year so I will make sure it is possible. I need to start by setting his savings up to cover his annual costs as this is something he doesn't currently do.
  • ajmoney
    Mr AJM has been worrying this morning that he might have made the wrong decision about the car in case he can't afford it, which he definitely can. He is concerned he may have jeopardised my mortgage plans by getting the car, until I reminded him that we will still be getting rid of our larger mortgage next summer, it just won't be any sooner than that unless he is able to keep saving. I think I need to encourage him to look at his money differently, he is not a big planner so he doesn't do this but it may help him.

I am using the next 12-18 months until we make the huge payment to bolster my savings as much as I can. We both have the money in savings now that we need next summer so the bigger buffer zone I have the better I will feel. My money for the payment is in my S&S ISA so I want to improve my cash savings.

Going back to work today, this really doesn't get any easier and I am not sure what the solution is. I am going away with work later this week and a good friend of mine is going who is in the same situation, I am looking forward to talking to her to see how she makes it any easier. I am meeting Mr AJM for dinner on Wednesday evening so we don't have to do 10 days in one go.
  • ajmoney
    Mr AJM has changed how he is funding his new car which is soooo much better financially and while it might take more of his money initially it will be better in the long run.

I am so tired, I have been away for a week working. I had a great time even though it was long hours. I had an issue with one piece of hold luggage on the way out, arrived 1 day late and delivered to me 2 days after that! On the way back all 3 of us were without luggage as our bags hadn't made the short transfer time, It should be here this afternoon, 24 hours later. Work paid for all the travel/bags so before yesterday's problem I was just going to email b@ to let them know the farce with getting it back in Cologne and how bad their sister companies/host airports are at getting it back but now my email will include a lot more. I was a bit stupid and left my car keys in my hold luggage so I had to get a train back yesterday and now need to get Mr AJM to take me back to work on Sunday or get the train back, both of which mean going back a day early :( It is a strange one as I can't really expect to be compensated when I haven't paid for anything apart from the train fare.

I have done the money shuffle and have updated my spreadsheets, things are progressing really well. I am trying to have a low spend month so my credit card bill for car repairs doesn't hit me too hard next month.

I am treating myself to a hair cut this afternoon, it really needs to be done.
  • ajmoney
    I completely forgot that this is another council tax free month so have just transferred it now.

We will never see the 128's again :j
  • ajmoney
    One of the weeks that I love, an extra day at home and not travelling back to work until tomorrow :D I do still have some work to do though.

Jobs for today
    Go to local work location to pick some things up and check my emails
    Meeting with another band leader (40 mins north)
    Pop into outdoor shop to look at trainers for ultra walk
    Food shopping
    If there is time go for a walk around a local loch, if loads of time do it twice!

I have less than 8 weeks until my charity walk so I need to start devoting a lot of time to this or I will really struggle!

In money news, Mr AJM has suggested we cut back on some of our spends (not holidays) while he gets used to the loan amount he needs to pay out. We shouldn't notice too much of a difference and it will mean I can bolster my savings a lot. I am going to try and come up with different ways of us getting out and about that don't cost a fortune, our hi$toric scotland passes and motor sport passes should give us plenty to do and many nice picnics :D
  • ajmoney
    I ran out of time for the walk so will try and go for one after dinner.

I have been chasing up our energy switch. It has all gone through ok but I have been asking why it is taking so long for our new supplier to give our old one the meter reading so we can get our credit back. It is fairly annoying that smart meters don't transfer over when you move suppliers, I have to wait a couple of weeks and then get in touch for the new company to come and install a new one. It seems very wasteful to me, especially when we are all being encouraged to reuse.

Waiting for Mr AJM to get home so we can try and book our seats on the plane for our holiday in July. We get 30kg of baggage, good job seeing as we will be away for 3 weeks!
  • ajmoney
    Mr AJM really hasn't been well this week and I can't do anything from the other side of Scotland, it is this side of my job that makes me sad :( it is his birthday on Sunday but doesn't want to do anything that costs too much money. So long as we don't have torrential rain I am planning for us to go out for a nice drive and take a picnic on Saturday. I don't want our lunch to end up like another work packed lunch so if anyone can give any suggestions I would be very grateful. My stepson is coming for dinner tomorrow and then we can have a nice chilled evening, Saturday evening we are going to the ice hockey. Sunday afternoon we are working with our youth band and then going out for dinner with stepson and his girlfriend to celebrate Mr AJM's birthday.

Work has been very annoying with a lot of time being wasted on things I wasn't required for, slightly more productive today. Luckily tomorrow morning's work should be fairly quick and then I get to go home, should be back by lunch time :j
  • Going out for a picnic sounds lovely, if it were my hubby he would really appreciate a cheeseboard style picnic - lots of different cheeses and different biscuits. I, on the other hand, would love a cream tea one with scones, jam and clotted cream!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback