Routers: Sky Q Hub VS Sky Hub

Options
I have extended the Sky broadband and have received a new wireless router- Sky Q HUb. I am using the old Sky Hub model and am happy with it, though there is a very weak signal in one room, but i don't use internet there.

It is said that the Q hub has 1 GB transfer speed and has more channels but I wonder if the difference is really noticeable? I have 2 or 3 devices connected to internet and don't see any problems internet speed. So i wonder if it is better to use the new router or sell it on ebay (they are about £50 ).

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dont think you own the router until contract is ended .
  • tissot
    tissot Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Dont think you own the router until contract is ended .

I know, but they do not request the routers after the end of the contract. I still can use the old one and sell the new one, but i wonder if the new one is that advanced that it is worse of keeping it.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the Q hub has 1 GB transfer speed

That'll be over the network cable, and whatever is at the other end will also need to be 'Gigabit'.
    and has more channels

WiFi channels I assume - again, some of the kit you're trying to use may not be able to access the upper channels - I've had trouble with channels 13 and 14.

With that all said, I can't imagine even the Q hub is worth much, as they're all thrown at customers for 'free'. Certainly must be worth trying out for a week, just unplug one and plug the other in.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They haven't wanted Sky boxes back before, unless someone left inside the minimum term, so they may possibly want the router back, like they want the Q box back.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The routers have unique logins set by Sky - your old one may not work.

The new routers are dual band which should make a speed difference if you have compatible equipment and don't live in the sticks (interference from other routers closeby)
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How old is the original Sky router? The "average" router only lasts 2-3 years, so it might be sensible to keep the Q Hub as a spare if your current one is of that age or older.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The "average" router only lasts 2-3 years

How many routers have you worn out? Radios can burn out, power supplies can fail (not the router itself) and of course new WiFi standards come out, but I'd say routers last far longer than 2-3 years!
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    How many routers have you worn out? Radios can burn out, power supplies can fail (not the router itself) and of course new WiFi standards come out, but I'd say routers last far longer than 2-3 years!
    On my 6th router in ~ 13 years - various fails - a couple still worked as ethernet routers but the wireless bits had packed up/gone eccentric (Corega/Buffalo??) and one (DLink) just refused to do anything at all when powered up. A Netgear worked - but wouldn't retain any info.on power down.It reset itself every time!
    The HORRANGE Livebox was just useless:rotfl:
    Now using TP-Link -cheap but still going after 25 months:)
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Couldn't resist, :), ancient Netgear DG834GT, still going, though one ethernet port recently stopped working.
    IMO still the most easily configured router out there.
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As with everything, it depends on the equipment - most routers will be discarded, more than needed, as almost all providers now suggest/insist on their own 'free' routers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure