Buying Smart TV

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    melbury wrote: »
    No I am not a Prime or Netflix member. I thought you could access quite a lot of things free of charge, but perhaps this isn't the case:(

Not sure what you mean by preferring the "box" and connecting via ethernet? Is that something special that you have to buy?

You can access the catch up services like BBC iPlayer, maybe ITV version and 4 On demand, are these what you were thinking of ?
  • ColinFishwick
    ColinFishwick Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2016 at 3:45PM
    My Samsung tv comes with wifi builtin and also ethernet. The wifi uses your own routers wifi but if signal isnt good then consider one of these. I have several of these around the house to bump wifi speeds up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GC3Z6I0

One goes into router and another need mains to where you need tv, it can supply tv and say xbox with two ethernet and also boast wireless. I then have several of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DEYDF8I.
    around the house and in garage where I have cctv so I can view it on my tablet/mobile

I have a decent modern bought router Tplink Archer vr900 but i do get some slow speeds in some areas still as I dont use the new standard 5ghz ac

PS smart tvs arent that smart and rarely get updated
  • DCFC79
    As for Homeplugs they are great, I have the pass through ones, it means 1 socket isn't taken up by a Homeplug and you can plug something else into it.
  • Hoseman
    Hoseman Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I might be in the market for a new TV too. Have you thought about picture quality?

4k seem to be all the rage but are they are really worth getting for the average consumer as opposed to just HD? I guess you are future proofing with 4K.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 October 2016 at 6:13PM
    Hoseman wrote: »
    I might be in the market for a new TV too. Have you thought about picture quality?

4k seem to be all the rage but are they are really worth getting for the average consumer as opposed to just HD? I guess you are future proofing with 4K.

All modern picture quality is fantastic to me - I grew up in the 50's/60's in B&W with flickering horizontal lines a lot of the time:D

I am not fussy about all the latest high-tech gizmos, just want a good picture and the chance to see some of the series that are only shown via Amazon / Netflix.

Thanks for the various options suggested, but they do seem rather expensive at £60+.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    All modern picture quality is fantastic to me - I grew up in the 50's/60's in B&W with flickering horizontal lines a lot of the time:D

I am not fussy about all the latest high-tech gizmos, just want a good picture and the chance to see some of the series that are only shown via Amazon / Netflix.

Thanks for the various options suggested, but they do seem rather expensive at £60+.
    Not to mention the subscriptions if you really want to watch "series that are only shown via Amazon / Netflix". Personally I think the Amazon Prime membership and TV boxes/sticks are well worth it. I don't pay for Netflix, I just use a family member's account.

If you hang until Black Friday then you'll be able to pick up Amazon Fire TV for a discount.
  • cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    I was going to suggest waiting until Black Friday if buying the Amazon Fire TV as I got one for £20 on the last "sale" they had.

I use it on an old TV in the bedroom using wifi and its absolutely fine. Main TV is a Samsung smart TV which is routed via homeplugs but only because I have them anyway for my YouView box.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • DCFC79

A cheaper option at £22
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

You do realise that's a one-off £60? And that some folks spend that every month on their Sky subscription?
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Do be careful if buying a new tv - not all smart tv's have the same apps built into them. I've had to discount a couple as they either do not have netflix or a regular browser installed, and with no chance of adding them later :(
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure