PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

renting out a rtb council house

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    gomer wrote: »
    You seem to have a fevered imagination. Nobody 'dictated' anything so calm down. I can recommend evening primrose oil lol

I'm perfectly calm, tyvm.

In the future I'll make sure I run all my posts by you first, to ensure they meet the exceedingly high standard you have set.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    I'm perfectly calm, tyvm.

In the future I'll make sure I run all my posts by you first, to ensure they meet the exceedingly high standard you have set.

In the future I'll make sure I run a mile when I see you on a thread in case you're in one of your prickly moods lol
  • Comms69
    gomer wrote: »
    In the future I'll make sure I run a mile when I see you on a thread in case you're in one of your prickly moods lol

Just out of curiosity (assuming you approve this post of course - if not please advise me and I shall modify it as per your instruction) are you actually 'laughing out loud' at your own posts?
  • gomer
    Just out of curiosity (assuming you approve this post of course - if not please advise me and I shall modify it as per your instruction) are you actually 'laughing out loud' at your own posts?

Nope. I was actually laughing out loud at your witticisms LOL
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Oh please, RTB is an awful policy, taking homes from those in need.

What non-sense.

Anyone 'in need' could rent any private or council house up for rent, if a richer person chose to rent privately, would they be taking from those in need?
  • gomer
    edited 10 December 2018 at 1:23PM
    sevenhills wrote: »
    What non-sense.

Anyone 'in need' could rent any private or council house up for rent, if a richer person chose to rent privately, would they be taking from those in need?

Thank you. This is why I was a bit miffed on this thread to be honest. Op did not ask anyone what their personal opinion is about rtb policy but that seems to be the only responses he got, except yours.

People do make themselves sound a bit resentful sometimes.
  • Comms69
    What non-sense.

Except there’s 1 less council house now. The whole point of social housing is for those who are in circumstances where private rental is not affordable.

However councils have a duty of care so many are now forced to pay much more expensive rates in b and bs / hotels. Whilst these houses are let at market rates and therefore are unaffordable.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Except there’s 1 less council house now. The whole point of social housing is for those who are in circumstances where private rental is not affordable.

However councils have a duty of care so many are now forced to pay much more expensive rates in b and bs / hotels. Whilst these houses are let at market rates and therefore are unaffordable.

That is not true. There are some very nice people in social house, they are not all poor. Have you ever walked past a new council estate and seen the expensive cars parked outside.
    My car cost £400-
  • gomer
    . The whole point of social housing is for those who are in circumstances where private rental is not affordable.

Tell that to the likes of the former union leader Bob Crow who lived in a 5 bedroomed council house down the road from me on a six figure salary. Now that was an abuse of council housing stock. Someone who could afford buy outright or rent private but refused to, and refused to allow someone in less favourable circumstances to rent the house he wouldn't give up.
  • Comms69
    That is not true. There are some very nice people in social house, they are not all poor. Have you ever walked past a new council estate and seen the expensive cars parked outside.
    My car cost £400-

What’s being rich or poor got to do with being nice?

Have you considered that a lot of those cars on schemes such as motability?

That said; I agree there are people who abuse social housing and don’t leave when their circumstances change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure