PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• Going to have a go at making this, today, which will use up the last tin of kidney beans. No tahini required, which is good as we don't have any in :)

https://swbeans.com/recipe/garlic-kidney-bean-hummus/

I'm also making a tarka dhal, à la J.O, which will help shift some of the lentil stock :)

The kidney bean hummus sounds really good! I've bookmarked the recipe, can you let us know how it tastes please :)

I love tarka dahl too
  • It is really nice, HC :)

For personal taste, I would probably add a little less salt next time and I added 2 tblsp water instead of 1, to get it to a consistency I like. I also added chilli flakes for a little extra kick :)

That sounds really lovely! :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Using up some salady bits for dinner tonight I have some lovely fresh farm eggs that I brought back from holiday so it will be lettuce ,tomatoes,cucumber ,beetroot, new potatoes, hard boiled egg and some grated cheese over the lot with a bit of pickle and chutney for flavour .A quick and easy meal which I enjoy with no cooking required (apart from the hard boiled egg:) Lunch is cream cheese and crackers with some carrot and coriander HM soup from the freezer.

Freezer stuff is slowly getting less, but it certainly takes ages to get it down Great to find things I had forgotten was in there, tomorrow I shall have some steak and new potatoes and asparagus, with a few left over mushrooms Both the the steak and asparagus were at the back of the freezer drawer :):):)
    Happy Days

JackieO xx
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Wrinkly carrots in the fridge used up to make a spicy carrot & red lentil soup, enough for 4 portions, so that sorts out a couple of lunches for us. :)

Cake tin empty :( so have knocked up a quick batch of cherry scones.

A neighbour gave me a full, unopened bottle of Guinness last week; they'd had a barbecue, with guests bringing their own drinks and this was left over. We don't drink it either but I'll be using it this weekend - half to make a beef & ale hotpot and the other half in an Irish stout cake. :) The cake calls for prunes but I don't have any so will replace them with mixed fruit. I'm sure it will be fine and I'll give my neighbour some as a thank you.

Off now to do next week's meal plan - let's see what I can use from the freezer. ;) Have a thrifty weekend everyone.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,549 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Wish I coulf find steak and asparagus "lurking" in my freezer. Steak never lurks anywhere - on the odd occasion we have it we eat it the same day it's bought!!!55357;!!!56833;
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Mine was Y/s from before I went away at Christmas and it had been gradually moved to the back of my freezer over the months.Its was a piece I had paid I think £2.40 for and as it was a decent size I cut it in half and froze it :) believe me if I had remembered it was there it would have been gone by now .
    As for the asparagus that too was y/s and tucked away for an occasion when I fancied a treat :) and today its going to be treat day as tonight I am at a quiz night so I will be having a leisurely late lunch mid afternoon :)

The bottom drawer of my freezer has some nice fish in there so next week will be a few fishy dishes I think.

YorksLass I think there are a couple of pots of glace cherries in my cupboard tomorrow mornings baking will include a batch of cherry scones I think as I really fancy some now as a change from sultana/fruit ones.

I will definitely use the green stuffed pepper recipe again as the mushrooms,cheese and drizzle of sweet chilli sauce was delicious and topping with dried breadcrumbs made it even nicer . I shall have a chat to DD and I know she tends to throw out her green peppers from the packets !!! as the boys won't eat them. She can throw them my way and I will happily take them off her hands :):):)

Have a great weekend chums

JackieO xxx
  • joedenise wrote: »
    Wish I coulf find steak and asparagus "lurking" in my freezer. Steak never lurks anywhere - on the odd occasion we have it we eat it the same day it's bought!!!55357;!!!56833;

I've got a scary amount in mine including a large joint of beef, a whole chicken, loads of salmon, and lots of other bits all bought YL and then forgotten about - I have no idea what it adds up to but there's a lot of money tied up in there which I'm working through but I was horrified and cross with myself when I did my inventory.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,549 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I don't often get YS stuff as never at tbe shops at the right time and live 8 muiles from tnem, too far on tne off chance that there will be anything wortwhile reduced.

Denise
  • I have a couple of packets of wholemeal scones leftover from the last AF order I did a while ago now. They seemed a good idea at the time but never got used so I am going to try one of them today. Hopefully someone will like them enough to eat them and save waste :)

How about a bread & butter pudding?
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Mrs SD
    Maybe you could make a cobbler type pud with them. The fruit and maybe cream or ice cream will offset the flavour if they are a bit boring.
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport