Money Moral Dilemma: Should I let my mum keep my car?

Options

Comments

• Augustus_the_Strong
    Options
    Discuss it with her and suggest loaning her the car - ie she pays you a bit each month for the use of it.
  • pjran
    pjran Posts: 1,902 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh it’s Christmas so gift her the car but on the understanding that she takes out the insurance in her name.
  • Frances_R
    Options
    If you are moving out your mother could rent your room. Up to £7500 tax free. She should then be able to pay for her own car, tax, insurance and running cost. You could do the redecorating to make the room ready for her to rent.
  • Grandad2b
    Options
    What's the problem here? You can't afford to keep the car and she needs it to get to work.
    Or are you saying she can't afford to run it either?
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    Far too little information to give an answer

MSE - the lack of info is getting ridiculous, stop this, you get more but don't give enough out.
  • Devonian_Rodders
    Options
    Cast your mind back to when your Mum had to sacrifice a lot in order to being you up.
    However, if your Mum cannot afford the upkeep of the car, then sell it !
  • Jevvers
    Jevvers Posts: 648 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It’s your mum, dude! Think of all she gave you over your lifetime.
    Mortgage 1: £243,034 0.99%, i/o, ends May 2026 MFW date 20 Aug 2020
    Mortgage 2: [STRIKE]£166,966[/STRIKE] £159,066 0.99%, repaymt, ends Oct 2033
    Total: £402,100
  • birtles1010
    birtles1010 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 December 2018 at 9:17AM
    Options
    So you live with your mum - in her house? How long have you been living there? You are a wage earner so firstly we need to know how much rent you pay her, what % of the utility bills you pay, how you split food costs between you, does she do your washing and cleaning? etc.
    Get out a piece of paper and a pencil, sit down and work out a balance sheet - see who owes the most to the other. Or do you have by chance 1 set of rules for a parent and 1 set of rules for a son or daughter..........
  • warwick46
    Options
    She is your MOTHER. I repeat MOTHER!
    You couldn't pay her back in a hundred years for all the things she has done for you.
    Go out, buy her a bunch of flowers and give her the car.
  • Bitcoinguy
    Options
    Yeah dont give her the car, but also do make sure you fill out the returns form for your mum for the food/expenses/housing she spent nurturing you since Day 1 you came to this world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure