Selling fake advertising space

I've seen at least one thread on MSE in the past about companies that have bought advertising space in magazines, only to find out that it is fake, after they have paid the advance fee. The magazines were supposedly supporting the emergency services. I can't find any threads, but it's a while ago since I last read it.

Merseyside Police have announced the sentencing of a husband and wife team following a joint investigation with the Criminal Enforcement Team at the Insolvency Service, for fraud of this kind. I don't know if it involves the same companies or people that I have read about on MSE, but thought that I would post in case anyone is interested.

https://www.merseyside.police.uk/news/latest-news/2018/12/husband-and-wife-sentenced-for-their-part-in-large-scale-publishing-fraud/

Comments

• That one's been around a long time. They phoned my OH when she had a shop prior to '97,
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • have heard of fake invoices / chase letters, for ads that were never taken out..
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 December 2018 at 8:53PM
    There are also a lot of these around selling space in so called armed forces magazines.
    Many do produce a magazine, but with a small print run
  • I know that it's a scam that has been around for years, but it's the first time that I have heard about a prosecution. I'm glad that they have been caught and found guilty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure