Single person tariff for water

notional
notional Posts: 63 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 29 November 2018 at 12:09PM in Water bills
I live on my own in a one bedroom flat. I applied to have a water meter fitted.

I was fairly sure that they wouldn't be able to, as my flat is in a converted house and the pipework is hidden and a bit complicated, and there isn't a stoptap for each flat. I was indeed told that I could not have a meter. But the best bit - I got put on a single person flat-rate tariff - saved £40 a year.
:beer:
As a new user I can't post any links, but google water assessed household charge. You can only get it if you cannot have a meter, but since water meters are supposed to save money for single person households, applying for one is a win-win.

I live in the Thames Water area but similar schemes apply in all areas as it comes from Ofwat.

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Only £40?

Shame, that.

On your own and with a meter, not using much, you most likely could have cut your bill by treble that - at least £120 or more off per year with a meter.

Ours shot down from about £350 annually without a meter to about £150 with a meter.
  • D_M_E wrote: »
    Only £40?
    Presumably the unmetered charges were already low.
  • I live on my own, have a garden to water. Take showers rather than baths. Water has to be run off for too long as the facilities are too far from from the tank, I try to save the run off for the loo. I pay £200pa with a water meter. Nice big 3 bed house, not a flat. Does this help you notional?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I live on my own, have a garden to water. Take showers rather than baths. Water has to be run off for too long as the facilities are too far from from the tank, I try to save the run off for the loo. I pay £200pa with a water meter. Nice big 3 bed house, not a flat. Does this help you notional?

Water and sewerage charges vary tremendously according to UK region; Charges can be up to 3 times higher in the South West than other regions.
  • oh yes, united utilities for me, no idea how it compares
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport