XBOX Help

Good Morning one & all
If this post is NOT in the correct area, would somebody please advise me, thank you.
Yesterday, I purchased an XBox One S with Forza4 and two other games.
My question(plea for help)is as follows.
When I put the disc into the console, it wants to install(which takes forever)but will not let me play the game. I would have thought in this day & age that it was simply a matter of inserting the disc, then playing the game, but as there are no instructions within the game case, I don't really know.
Would some kindly soul advise as to where I am going wrong please.
Thanks.
Eric

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good Morning one & all
    If this post is NOT in the correct area, would somebody please advise me, thank you.
    When I put the disc into the console, it wants to install(which takes forever)but will not let me play the game. I would have thought in this day & age that it was simply a matter of inserting the disc, then playing the game, but as there are no instructions within the game case, I don't really know.
    Thanks.
    Eric

It's wanting to install it as it makes it quicker to load. Theres also updates for the game.
    Yes you would think it would think it would be playable out of the box but as I say the game will have updates.

When it gets to a certain point you will be allowed to play it. The game will be 50GB, let it install and have a drink.
  • majority if not all new games via disk need to be installed (similar to PC games)

once installed, you will still need the disk to start it up though... yes, it is annoying!!
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good Morning one & all
    Thanks.
    Eric

Welcome to the sad new world of console gaming!

Yes, pretty much every game comes with some huge update that must be downloaded before you can play the game. I bought Forza 7 over the weekend for the XBox One X and i think the update was 33GB. Approx 4 hours to download.... :eek:

Make sure you set your console to allow updates when its not in use (standby mode), otherwise every time you go to play a game it will have another update to do.

Very frustrating :mad:
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My XBox One X came Forza 7, via a download code. The download is 99GB!
    You can't play direct off the disc, or download, because they simply can't keep up with the data transfers needed to keep a game going. Some games let you start playing before being fully installed.
  • Anyone buying a console for their kids for Xmas should pay attention to this... get all these downloads done ahead of time :-)
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    grahamgoo wrote: »
    Anyone buying a console for their kids for Xmas should pay attention to this... get all these downloads done ahead of time :-)

I second that ..
    The new Red Dead Redemption is a whopping 101GB !!!

I agree is is ridiculous - just put a few more disks in the box !!!!!! - they are pennies each
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    AndyPix wrote: »
    I second that ..
    The new Red Dead Redemption is a whopping 101GB !!!

I agree is is ridiculous - just put a few more disks in the box !!!!!! - they are pennies each

This is mixing different numbers up, the size you've quoted for Red Dead Redemption is the full download for those who have bought the game without a disc and therefore need to download the entire game. If you buy a physical copy of the game it actually does come on two discs and the patch to get the game running is a fraction of the 100GB total download.

John
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    As others have said, welcome to the world of gaming on Xbox, PlayStation or PC, the fact is the HD-DVD's don't have sufficient space to store the games, we'll unless they give three discs shall we say, hence, you are stuck with large downloads to actually complete loading process and continually large updates - with 330 games on HDD my monthly updates alone can exceed 500GB, my last update cycle over the weekend was 200GB and I don't have a brilliant internet connection, indeed, I'm on unlimited 4.5G Broadband, which can be a right pest.

Apart from that, many games now exceed 100GB, so invest in external storage, namely a minimum 2TB external HDD - I'm on a 1TB Xbox One S with 5TB of external storage, which is just about all used up.

As a warning, gaming is expensive so catch as many deals as you can on Xbox Live, learn how to purchase digital games from different regions and get a decent head set - you'll soon get the knack of it and I'm no spring chicken.
  • gullarm
    gullarm Posts: 12 Forumite
    TOP TIP

Take the console off line, then insert the disc. It should start installing and at certain point it should let you start playing.

I have found that if the console is online it won't start until the update patch is downloaded and it can't apply the patch until the game is fully installed.

Example
    I purchased Just Cause 3 for the Xbox one on saturday for £10,:money: I let it install until the XBOX icon popped saying GAME CAN START, I started the game which then announced it needed a large update. I clicked cancel as I wanted to start playing the game. The game kicked me out back to the XBOX home screen. Tried again and the same thing happened. So took the XBOX off line and the game started playing.

Played for 30mins, then as I had things to do I re-connected and downloaded the patch which took 3 hours.
  • Hi all
    So very sorry I haven't thanked anybody, I wasn't sure I had any replies until now ;-(
    So
    THANK YOU one and all.......Lol.
    I have Forza Horizon4 on a silly little bit of paper, with a code on it(which I have entered into my laptop), can I just ask, how do I then get to play it on the console?
    Cheers.
    Eric
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family