Skywire TV

On the freepostcodelottery.com page, there is an advert for Skywire TV. Does anyone know anything about this, please? It is clearly a US company but says it works in the UK.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It just appears to be an internal aerial, whether it works or not depends on the signal strength you already get. If it's a poor signal then the odds are greatly in favour of this not helping at all as you need an external or at least a loft aerial for poor reception.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Pretty sure it is another variation on the TV Fox Antenna, see this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5676501
  • Buyer beware here. I wasn't sure if I could get any channels on my tv with an indoor antenna. I chose to purchase an over priced piece of plastic and wire from SKYWIRE ($40.00) to, indeed, find out, NO, I cannot get channels where I am, the house I am in. Would it work under normal circumstance...perhaps. I have used indoor antennas many times before but NOT in this location. Sad part is, this particular business, SKYWIRE, does not only NOT make returns, they are incognito once your purchase is complete. NO contact whatsoever. And no phone. BUYER BEWARE HERE.
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    AnnieP6 wrote: »
    On the freepostcodelottery.com page, there is an advert for Skywire TV. Does anyone know anything about this, please? It is clearly a US company but says it works in the UK.

Looking at it, I'd guess it works as well in the UK as it does in the US. i.e. about as well as hanging a random piece of wire on your aerial socket will achieve - very little.

If you have very little signal, then an outdoor aerial is about the only answer. Or get a FreeSat box and a dish.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • My experience was very similar to previous reports. The aerial took over two weeks to arrive and, despite following instructions to the letter in two completely different locations, it failed to pick up a single channel. I did get a response from 'Customer Service' - Tanya - who inforrmed me that, unless the unit was defective, no refund would be due. Given that the return address was NY, USA, I decided that I would not throw good money after bad by sending it back - so I have written it off to experience.

However, I have opened a dispute via PayPal.

Incidentally, the seemingly exact same device can be bought on Amazon - and if it doesn't work for you, your money is sure to be returned.
  • Further to my previous comment, I sent a message saying that I was seeking a dispute resolution through PayPal and they immediately agreed to a full refund.
    Hope this information is useful.
  • TekPete
    TekPete Posts: 5 Forumite
    Seems to me it's a FreeView Box with it's own aerial (unless someone can tell me different). If you already have a roof aerial you'd probably be better off buying any FreeView Box that has a coax socket fitted or you could get an aerial rigger to fit an aerial - I don't think they charge too much.

I'm sure this SkyView Box will work fine in certain situations as long as the aerial is correctly positioned.
  • MJK123
    MJK123 Posts: 1 Newbie
    The Ad I saw seems to insinuate that the channels you see on cable TV are now available over the air.
    This is just not true.

The best reception you will ever get over the air with any antenna are ABC NBC CBS PBS CW Fox MyTv and their sub channels. If you live close to more than one major city you may get some overlap adding to the claim of hundreds of channels. In reality there are about 21 channels available give or take a few depending on where you live.

Just about any antenna will get you reception of these channels. If you live in an area of poor reception then an outdoor antenna will be necessary .

But bottom line is you can't receive over the air what doesn't exist.

Cable channels do not come in over the air.

I hate that these rip off artist are allowed to do false advertising.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    MJK123 wrote: »
    The best reception you will ever get over the air with any antenna are ABC NBC CBS PBS CW Fox MyTv and their sub channels.
    Wrong country, this is a UK based forum.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Wrong country, this is a UK based forum.
    Perhaps so, but I saw the ad when reading the online version of the Daily Telegraph.

I don't know how it got there, but the Telegraph is clearly a UK website.

I clicked and got the message that MJK123 reported. Clearly a US offer and irrelevant to UK viewers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure