How is it possible to take a loan in someone's else's name?

Options
2»

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    If you didnt take out a loan then of course you are not responsible for it.

It is just a hassle proving it wasnt you when they come asking for repayment
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The slight elephant in the room here is that often it's not a case of fraud, it's that people take out loans in their own name knowingly, on the understanding that their partner will pay them back, and then they simply... don't.

If that's what happens then there's little to no recourse. And it's next to impossible to stop people doing things like that. This is far more common than actual fraud by partners, which should be relatively easy to protect against.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    An awful lot of questions here seeking an awful lot of detail about how to commit fraud by borrowing in someone else's name.

That aside, just take care, watch your accounts, change your address, contact CIFAS - and don't do anything silly or dishonest.

Good luck.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 May 2019 at 4:02PM
    Options
    Make sure you remove yourself from the electoral roll at your old address - that may prevent some lenders being quite so willing to lend money to someone at your old address applying for credit in your name.
    Sign up to the free credit-checking service and check it regularly to see if any applications have been made in your name.
    https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub/login

Be careful if providing any organisations your new address - your ex partner might be able to find out. For example, people in abusive relationships can be put on the electoral roll secretly, but I believe it needs to be authorised by a court or the police.
    If telling the NHS your new address, you can have your NHS records 'flagged' to prevent your address being known by the 1 million or so people who work for the NHS and have access to every patient's personal details.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    You really do seem to be unduly concerned about this possibility, something more than a vague suspicion that this might happen and your questions are very specific.
  • Wheres_My_Cashback
    Options
    The trolls have been busy this weekend !
  • Ihateweed
    Ihateweed Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

I am asking so many questions on this topic not because I would be interested in doing any fraud myself... but because I am so scared of my partner. He is an angry, nasty and vengeful man who blames me for all the wrong things happening in his life... and who has been threatening with all sorts of repercussions if I ever leave him. In the past, he had promised to trash our jointly rented house from top to bottom and make me pay to our landlord (as a co-tenant), to hurt me and my family, and in case he won't be able to find me, he wants to screw me up financially in any way that is possible... I am pretty sure that he would at least try to take some steps towards it, so I need to know a lot in order to prevent all his crap... before it's too late.
    My friends say that all his words are just a bluff to control me, but you never know......
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hopefully, you have taken the advice given in this thread and have now bought the CIFAS Protective Registration?

Also, has this helped: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/family/gender-violence/domestic-violence-and-abuse/
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    1. Absolutely make sure you pay for CIFAS protective registration as this means if your ex does decide to try and make any applications in your name – they will be blocked/deferred until the lender contacts you to confirm that it is you who is applying for something. So this way you will always be one step ahead of him and he won’t be able to run up £££ in your name and you find out later and have to deal with the repercussions.

2. Keep an eye on your credit files for any changes/searches.
    Experian: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: https://www.clearscore.com
    Call Credit: https://www.noddle.co.uk

3. If your name is on any of the household bills, make sure you let the suppliers know to put your ex's name on the bills instead/take yours off and to request a final bill in your name so you know that the balance will be clear.
    Ihateweed wrote: »
    He is an angry, nasty and vengeful man who blames me for all the wrong things happening in his life... and who has been threatening with all sorts of repercussions if I ever leave him. .

4. Speak to Women's Aid and see if they can help with any legal advice regarding your joint tenancy and also with the police and any restraining orders.

https://www.womensaid.org.uk/information-support/helpline/#1447945875934-beee5111-afd5

5. You can also enrol for electoral roll anonymously so your ex can't find you:
    https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/226429/Anonymous-registration-DV-Leaflet-FINAL.pdf

6. Double and triple check that ANY bank accounts/credit cards etc. the address change has been done and so that none of your old post goes to your old address.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    As JJ above says, when people talk about financially abusive partners taking out loans in the victim's name, I imagine they're not generally talking about impersonation fraud, which is difficult to do. (If they had all of the victims login credentials I suppose they could perform credit applications online, so change your passwords if you haven't already).

A more common scenario would be the controlling partner getting the victim to take out a loan or credit card in their own name, and then immediately asking for the money to be transferred to them or taking control of the card and PIN. At that point the loan application would be, on paper, completely legitimate, and the subsequent transfer of money would legally be seen as a gift. It would be very difficult to come back from this situation by claiming that a) you didn't actually want the loan, despite signing a contract that says you understand and want to proceed and b) you didn't actually want to give the money away, despite the bank records showing you authorised the transfer.
    : )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport