Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ADA58
    • By ADA58 17th Jun 19, 2:02 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ADA58
    NRD reduction to 55 in DB scheme and cash transfer impact
    • 17th Jun 19, 2:02 PM
    NRD reduction to 55 in DB scheme and cash transfer impact 17th Jun 19 at 2:02 PM
    I have recently been made redundant , and as a result my NRD in a DB scheme reduced by 10 years to 55. ie no impact on pension. I am currently 22 months off this date and was offered a 4.5% pa reduction of a pension for these 20 months , which meant i m coming in at around 38K pa .

Using the redundancy pay out I can reach 55 comfortably and negate the reduction I was also able to benefit from AVCs from the redundancy and carry forwards, so I feel in a fortunate position to have a solid pension.

I am of course interested in a DB transfer value and have asked the trustees for one, however on researching I cannot find a typical impact on a transfer value for an NRD at 55 vs 60 or 65.

I know it is pension scheme specific with gilts, inflation , and trustee pension investment strategies all coming into play.

I will wait eagerly for the formal letter, but I know this will take time, and I would like to research a little before hand.

Does anyone have any info around the impact of 10 year reduction , if I was to assume an industry standard of 23-26 times, what could it be bumped up to, and why (is there a calculation) ?

Supporting info , 50% spouse on death , majority linked to CPI max out at 2.5% pa , although some linked to RPI max at 5%
    Last edited by ADA58; 17-06-2019 at 4:33 PM. Reason: typo
Page 1
    • Albermarle
    • By Albermarle 17th Jun 19, 2:34 PM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    Albermarle
    • 17th Jun 19, 2:34 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 2:34 PM
    my NRD n BD scheme reduced by 10 years to 55. ie no impact on pension
    Very good result I would say . To take a DB pension 10 years early would normally reduce it by up to 50%.
    I am currently 22 months off this date and was offered a 4.5% pa reduction of a pension for these 20
    Again a generous offer , which I would take .
    Taking into account the above and the size of the pension , I was a bit surprised to see this comment
    I am of course interested in a DB transfer value
    Apart from the usual pros and cons of giving up a guaranteed income , the 38K gives you an LTA contribution of 760K
    Any sensible CETV offered will take you well over the LTA limit of 1.05 million , so will be a lot of extra tax to pay.
    • ADA58
    • By ADA58 17th Jun 19, 4:32 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ADA58
    • 17th Jun 19, 4:32 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 4:32 PM
    thanks for reply, I also think the DB scheme looks good, no need for me to take the approx. 7 pc reduction , rather wait to 55, and potentially defer further , accrues by 5,5% plus RPI pa, although mindful of lifetime allowance
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,631Posts Today

6,105Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin