Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JMC1984
    • By JMC1984 2nd Jun 19, 6:12 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JMC1984
    Still paying mortgage & benefits
    • 2nd Jun 19, 6:12 AM
    Still paying mortgage & benefits 2nd Jun 19 at 6:12 AM
    About 3+ months ago I left the family home. The agreement was we would keep the house in joint names and mortgage in joint names and she would pay it as was confident her benefits would cover it.
    In all the time since I moved out she has paid £0 towards bills despite her benefits being awarded. My kids have told me theyíve been away to concerts, had parties etc yet still I am expected to pay all their bills including such things as broadband! Now found out shortly after I left she moved her ex in!!!!
    Sheís wanting nearly £500 a month in maintenance and is still failing to make any contribution towards mortgage. As itís in joint names I canít let it default as this will go against me. I get my kids need a roof over their head but I canít get my own place with still having this commitment yet sheís living a luxury life now with her ex and Iím paying for it?!!! Only thing I can see is get a solicitor involved to sell the house as mortgage company wonít let her take it on with only benefits as income and over £190,000 left on the mortgage. I have about £40,000 equity in the house as well.
    Last edited by JMC1984; 02-06-2019 at 6:35 AM. Reason: Misspelt
Page 1
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 2nd Jun 19, 3:23 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 796 Thanks
    andydownes123
    • 2nd Jun 19, 3:23 PM
    • 2nd Jun 19, 3:23 PM
    Use the maintanence calculator and stick to that only. The house needs to be sold if she cannot run it with benefits and your contribution. Move back in to if you need to 'focus' her mind.
    • BAFE
    • By BAFE 3rd Jun 19, 11:32 AM
    • 171 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    BAFE
    • 3rd Jun 19, 11:32 AM
    • 3rd Jun 19, 11:32 AM
    Is £500 what you are obligated to pay according to the CMS website?
    I think that you can get a solicitors agreement so that the maintenance goes straight towards the mortgage and at least this will ensure that there are no defaults on the mortgage whilst your arranging to sell the property.

Have you been to mediation yet?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,996Users online

Martin's Twitter