Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 28th Oct 18, 11:13 AM
    • 9,643Posts
    • 32,500Thanks
    DigForVictory
    How to suggest it's time to hand over the car keys?
    • 28th Oct 18, 11:13 AM
    How to suggest it's time to hand over the car keys? 28th Oct 18 at 11:13 AM
    Has anyone had This Conversation with anyone recently & how did it go? Are there any phrases that help, or that lead straight to disinheritance?!

I honestly cannot leave it for mum's GP - who blamelessly doesn't seem to get out of the surgery let alone see how the patients travel.

Mum's had an unexplained fall & is often a bit dizzy stood up, but that's not enough evidence of physical fraility to convince her.

She'll probably kick like a mule unless presented with a well thought through set of alternatives. (I know I would!)

I don't think we can postpone this chat much longer & I would have thought it has to be face to face. I suspect Dad is closing is eyes to the problem as otherwise he'll have to deal with her (understandable, but) annoyance.
Page 2
    • Techno
    • By Techno 26th Jan 19, 9:48 PM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    Techno
    I wonder if there is a family that share their time between London and Balmoral having a similar conversation with an older driver at the moment?
    If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 15th Feb 19, 12:49 PM
    • 9,378 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I know of an old chap who is 97 and won't admit that he is too old to drive !
    He has hit several vehicles (luckily at low speed) and never admits blame ("it was going too fast" etc)
    I want to report him(anonymously) to the DVLA but am not sure that this is the best way forwards

He lives on his own and doesn't have a regular GP to inform and to be honest, I don't know whether losing his licence would stop him from driving anyway....

What would you do ?
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 15th Feb 19, 7:32 PM
    • 39,911 Posts
    • 37,170 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Report to the DVLA, AND to the police every time you see him driving dangerously.

Would he tell you if DVLA had revoked his licence, or if he'd been called to a driving assessment?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • dipsy
    • By dipsy 21st Feb 19, 3:44 PM
    • 3,039 Posts
    • 9,711 Thanks
    dipsy
    I have reported direct to DVLA before and nothing happened, luckily I persuaded them to declare themeselves which they did in the end, but now we are at the year point and they are reapplying - I had done all the forms but apparently they were wrong as I was honest about their "memory" issues

No idea what else I can do
    2007 1749
    2008 291.99
    2009 JanMasscara 7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 20 XFactor tkts x 2 58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation 7.99
    total so far for 09 92.99
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,879Posts Today

7,026Users online

Martin's Twitter