Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    September 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    September 2011 Grocery Challenge 4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the ninth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your August budget, then keep on posting in the August 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 31-08-2011 at 9:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 36
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 17th Sep 11, 10:50 AM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 18,816 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Got up early and went to sainsburgs, manged to spend £96 but after using various money off coupons and a £12 off £60 spend combined with a £11 off a £55 spend got it down to £65.38, i love the student checkout operators there, they will put through any amount of vouchers.
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
  • adelight
    I'm getting so fed up of Tesco being so selective with their offers. There's only express and metro stores near me and neither of which EVER seem to take part in the offers, despite having the products in stock! bogof chickens? 50p plums? NAHHHHH GRRRRRR!!
    Living cheap in central London
  • TrixieB
    I live in Scotland and sometimes the offers are different for us with different stores, or non existent!
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!

• quintwins
    • By quintwins 17th Sep 11, 12:20 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    nsd today gonna have a lazy day pizza and chips for tea were at home tomorrow aswell which were not usually i'm not making sunday lunch tho, i might dig some sausages out of the freezer and do a fry up, aiming for lots of nsd days between now and friday
    DFW £7632/£28996 26.3%
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 17th Sep 11, 12:44 PM
    • 3,132 Posts
    • 42,324 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Hi all,

Bit hung-over today

Popped into Mr S and spent £23.83' then went to l@dl and spent £41.03 - did go a bit mad and bought bits I didn,t need as well as stuff I did - only £80 for the rest of the month

Will not go shopping again with a fuzzy head, all I wanted was some comfort food to make me feel better and I blew my budget for the week.

Child free night tonight treated us to a meze type meal for later, salami, cheese stuffed sweet peppers, olives, deep fried camambert, parma ham and a bottle of plonk (not that I feel in need of a drink at the mo)

Weather great, but think I will just 'chill' this afternoon and watch Eat,Pray,Love - because I,m worth it......
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 17th Sep 11, 12:48 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    FoxFace
    I didn't update yesterday, as it was a NSD and I was very busy

Today I am reporting a spend of £21.47, which should see us through the week and possibly a little more

Past the halfway point in the budget now, but looking great for coming in under for the month, and hitting my NSD target!

Going to spend tonight making plum chutney and cherry & coconut cake
    Debt Free Wannabe 21.05.2017
    Total Starting Debt = £11,020.01p Currently: £7282.99p
    ~Grocery Challenge: May: £26.77p/£350.00p~
    ~Fox's Vegan Recipes~

• forever saving
    • By forever saving 17th Sep 11, 12:52 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 8,850 Thanks
    forever saving
    I have spent £38.04 in aldi and £10.75 in Mr S. Should hopefully have enough in other than top ups of fruit, bread and milk during the week. Famous last words, so we will have to see.
    FS x
    Jan GC £298.62/£300 Feb £298.01/£300 March £331.06/£300 April £69.96/£300
    Learning to accept the things i cannot change
  • Evie74
    Just back from my weekly pilgrimage to Mr T and have spent £65.64 (but that did include a £20 gift for my brother's b'day) - just about still on track for £260 this month as long as I don't go mad next week.

Evie
    "Live simply, so that others may simply live"
    Weight Loss Challenge: 0/70
    • meg72
    • By meg72 17th Sep 11, 3:23 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    As I am still away from home I havent spent much. Bought 5 pks lentils £3.70 and 3 tins of cods roe £6.54 to stock up. So £10.24 to add to total. Will update signature later
    Slimming World at target
    • ixia
    • By ixia 17th Sep 11, 3:27 PM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 5,413 Thanks
    ixia
    Went to mr Ts this morning and stayed within what i had in my head I was going to spend.

I also got a hair dye and a bottle of wine for going to my friends tonight included in the grocery figure did use a £10 off a £70 spend and OH gave me money to get him beers so spent £55.55.

I think that leaves me £101.68 to the end of this month's challenge. I need to not go to the shops!!!!!!!!!! Maybe this could be the month I do it.

Good Luck to everyone else
    • dreamingofmoney
    • By dreamingofmoney 17th Sep 11, 3:35 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 4,753 Thanks
    dreamingofmoney
    Am starting back after a lot of months away. Just had a bit of a spending epiphany, and realise how out of control i am, am gonna start O/S Money saving today but will start with the challenge in Oct, am desperate to just gain some control with food, money etc so am going to revert back to my money saving ways (wish me luck) and am now off to start reading thread from start and see if there are any new recipes.
    Dreamer
    Paying back 1% at a time 79% of total debt paid off.
    No. 82 PAYDBX19 £5794.39/£13000 of debt paid from this years goal 44.6%
    Hfax loan, Bcard £438/£5852.07 7.5% Lloyd’s £250/£592.99 42.1%
    Debt free date Mar 2020.
  • rej-c
    Sig updated to include an NSD today and total spends of £9.73 yesterday.

We're doing OK, but I know we can do much better. For the next working week, for my part, I have two aims. 1: Not to go into any shops on the way in to work, because it's costing me £s and lbs. 2: Again, cut down on the snacking and STICK TO THE FLIPPIN' MEAL PLAN - I'm a grown-up, for heaven's sake, why am I being so useless on this recently?

Never mind, running total aside, every day's a clean slate. Keep it up, everyone
    Haven't done the GC since February, but a glance at the Tower of Receipts tells me I really need to get back into it... and plenty of other Challenges besides.
    • emmad5689
    • By emmad5689 17th Sep 11, 7:15 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 13,850 Thanks
    emmad5689
    My OH is a nightmare and what pushes our groceries up I am sure, I was going for a NSD today but we went to see family and they were at the town centre so we were in Mr A and he decides he needs a drink so spent £2 on 2 litre bottles of pop. He them went to Mr Ts to pick up a online order and as we had already spent today I asked him to get flour, marg and sugar for making our daughters first birthday cake on tuesday and he had to buy himeself a bottle of red bull. There is always something extra with him and it is driving me mad, did get a box of shreddies and tin of soup free though!

Meal plan for week
    sunday - sausage casserole
    Monday - chilli
    Tuesday - chilli
    Wednesday - Chicken breast and wedges
    Thursday - Cottage pie
    Friday - Fahitas
    Saturday - chops and chips

We should not need anything this week apart from a possible loaf of bread for lunches to take to work.
    To get to Disneyland Florida 2016
  • september1986
    Up to a rather scary £400 odd now, but that did include £70 on a new jacket, £50 on homewares and £30 of bits for my bday meal next week.

Need to minimise food spends for the rest of the month, as it would be good to have some money left over to top up the savings pot.
    Last edited by september1986; 17-09-2011 at 8:50 PM.
    September GC: £400.00/£600 (everything except mortgage & bills)
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 17th Sep 11, 9:24 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Spent £11.16 today on a cup of coffee in the village with a friend, 4 sausage rolls for the kids' lunch and a spelt loaf (treat for me) from the local bakery and £5 for DD2 who was going for a sleepover (her contribution to popcorn and pizza). Not too bad a day really but I only have just over £60 in the budget to last until the end of the month, which I should do easily but I always seem to go kamikaze on the last few days for some reason!!

Made a big pan of chicken and barley soup out of leftover chicken carcass - it was delicious with my spelt bread so I had it for dinner tonight - good job too because the leftover sausage casserole I was going to have was sausageless - DD2 had eaten the sausages out of it!!

Cooked an Aldi chicken today so will use that for tomorrow's lunch and packed lunches and a curry for next week.

I think I might make Simon Hopkinson's cheese and onion pie on Monday - has anyone tried it? I think it looks delicious!
    Last edited by recovering spendaholic; 18-09-2011 at 12:41 AM.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • sproggi
    • By sproggi 17th Sep 11, 9:32 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    Had 2 small spends today, £1 for some doughnut peaches off the market, I have never seen these before and could not resist getting some for DD's 1 & 2. Also £1.08 on some flavour changing lollipops for DD2 from M&S.

Not all bad though, I realised that I had added £4.70 for birthday cards in the total spend yesterday and birthdays come out of a seperate budget, so total now sorted and updated.

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 18th Sep 11, 12:08 AM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Spent £11 in Iceland today topping up milk eggs bacon and cheese. Worked today then went out tonight and spent £7 but not counting that-different budget. Still have lots of chicken left so chicken and bacon pie for dinner tomorrow I think.
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 18-09-2011 at 1:19 PM.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • saving4life
    • By saving4life 18th Sep 11, 6:52 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    saving4life
    huge spend this week due to ds birthday party and not budgetting for this! However have done well to date so the bit I have left should last me the next 10 days. Have another birthday coming up so will def budget this time!
    October Grocery Challenge £400
    • FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 18th Sep 11, 7:35 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    FoxFace
    Another NSD today... my cupboards, fridge & freezer are stocked to the gills... plenty for meals, I simply cannot fit any more bargains in I also will not be going near any shops in any case
    Debt Free Wannabe 21.05.2017
    Total Starting Debt = £11,020.01p Currently: £7282.99p
    ~Grocery Challenge: May: £26.77p/£350.00p~
    ~Fox's Vegan Recipes~

• sproggi
    • By sproggi 18th Sep 11, 9:44 AM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    I am determind to have a nsd today no matter what.

Because I was out most of yesterday, I forgot to get anything out for dinner today BUT, there are 2 sausages left from tea yesterday, so will cut each one in 3 and make mini toad in the holes and serve with potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, cabbage and runner beans, then will make a macaroni pudding for dessert.

DD2 is going to make her nan a birthday cake instead of buying one, so that will save on spending out on that and will be DD2's present to her nan.

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,704Posts Today

7,441Users online

Martin's Twitter