Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulfoel
    • By paulfoel 10th May 11, 7:12 PM
    • 5,519Posts
    • 2,566Thanks
    paulfoel
    CV writing services - Any good?
    • 10th May 11, 7:12 PM
    CV writing services - Any good? 10th May 11 at 7:12 PM
    Some seem cheap and some expensive but there are so many...

Is it even worth bothering? If so, which one?
    Cymru am Byth !!!
Page 1
  • tuftyclub
    • 10th May 11, 10:00 PM
    • 10th May 11, 10:00 PM
    http://www.cv-masterclass.com/ a cv from them got me a lot of interviews. recommended
    • paulfoel
    • By paulfoel 11th May 11, 8:27 AM
    • 5,519 Posts
    • 2,566 Thanks
    paulfoel
    • 11th May 11, 8:27 AM
    • 11th May 11, 8:27 AM
    http://www.cv-masterclass.com/ a cv from them got me a lot of interviews. recommended
    Originally posted by tuftyclub
    Thanks - I'll take a look....
    Cymru am Byth !!!
  • ferien_uk2011
    • 11th May 11, 8:47 AM
    • 11th May 11, 8:47 AM
    http://www.thecvstore.net/Free-CV-Review.php

You can get one free review here. Not very extensive, but I got some useful feedback on my CV from it.
  • Strike
    • 11th May 11, 7:29 PM
    • 11th May 11, 7:29 PM
    http://www.thecvstore.net/Free-CV-Review.php

You can get one free review here. Not very extensive, but I got some useful feedback on my CV from it.
    Originally posted by ferien_uk2011
    I would be careful using these 'free CV checks' because ultimately they are a business and will want you to re-do your CV via them.

I submitted a copy to the above address today and had a prompt reply. Some of the advice was helpful (more an oversight on my part) but a great deal of it was also in complete contradiction to other websites etc.

I personally use http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv.htm#is because it gives constructive advice but allows you to develop your own style of CV.
  • wantsajob
    • 11th May 11, 11:24 PM
    • 11th May 11, 11:24 PM
    The best advice is free. There's plenty on the internet, like at the Kent Uni website above. You just need to sit down a few hours and apply your brain. Draft and redraft. I doubt there are any CV companies that offer a money-back guarantee if you don't get a job.
  • WPN
    • 12th May 11, 9:24 AM
    • 12th May 11, 9:24 AM
    Some seem cheap and some expensive but there are so many...

Is it even worth bothering? If so, which one?
    Originally posted by paulfoel
    Tricky in this climate. A decent CV writing service should get you an interview (which is a stage further) but might not be likely to secure you a job. My personal opinion on this matter is those CV services are overrated. Don't get me wrong the presentation and content of the CV is important, but unless they lie (which as you know and probably told a million times... is a criminal offence) or distort the truth you aren't bringing anything more to the table than your experience and education.

There is so many people applying for jobs these days even a good CV might not get you an interview if there are worse CVs claiming better suitability for the position.

Simply, you need to ensure that spelling and grammar is sorted out - but importantly that the CV flows. Sentences regardless of vocabulary used shouldn't make someone tongue-tied. Write the personal profile last. Keep the CV to 1-2 pages. I have a conspiracy that those who include written references or letters of support with their application (even when not requested unless they request you not to specifically) does better than those who just list either referees to be contacted or say they are available (keep them on your CV either way though).
  • paulwf
    • 12th May 11, 4:09 PM
    • 12th May 11, 4:09 PM
    In my opinion a CV is only going to be 100% effective if it is tweaked for each job. I've seen CVs that ramble on for paragraphs about work experience in completely different fields then cover relevant work experience in just one sentence. They completely miss the target because they are aimed at a different job.

With modern word processing packages I think there's no excuse not to modify a CV for each application. The best people to review your CV are probably those slightly older from the era when the "3 R's" were taught at school...I'd say at least 90% of the CVs I see would be binned if I applied the standards I would personally expect to see for spelling, punctuation and grammar.
    • shailesh
    • By shailesh 16th May 11, 9:23 AM
    • 399 Posts
    • 6,646 Thanks
    shailesh
    • 16th May 11, 9:23 AM
    • 16th May 11, 9:23 AM
    http://www.cvhelp4u.co.uk offer a free review.

As has been said above best to get a free review first and then go from there. Get some feedback on your CV then down to you if you make changes yourself or ask someone to do them for you.

• Mr Smith
    Monster's advice not good enough? I wouldn't recommend paying for them when you can get free advice in here and on genuine job sites.
  • chaddyb
    CV Writing Services - good or bad
    like evrything else i guess there are good ones and the not so good. I have used them in past and not been that impressed but my sis who is in marketing got made redundant few months ago and her company bought her cv writing from an outfit called perfectcvs and she got massive response from agencies and is now back in work, so like I said good and bad!
    Chaddyb
    • lexilex
    • By lexilex 3rd Nov 11, 9:50 AM
    • 1,939 Posts
    • 1,670 Thanks
    lexilex
    I paid for a new CV from the CV Store about a month ago. Think it cost me around 35. I was really impressed with it. Although I had good feedback on my old CV, I wasn't getting the interviews. The new one is brilliant, really professional and better than anything I could have ever done.

It took about 24 hours for them to do it, and they do free updates to it for 12 months.
  • CV Writer
    Should you use a professional CV writer?
    If you're excellent at writing; if you're really introspective and great at analysing your own strengths, achievements and skills; if you have good English, wordprocessing and formatting skills... then you can probably manage it yourself.

If you don't possess these skills, then it could be worthwhile having a discussion with several CV writers to see which one best understands your requirements. Try not to be price driven - this is an investment in your future.

Check that their testimonials are genuine and make sure they're prepared to talk to you at length so that you don't receive a generic CV that could belong to anyone. Having a great CV is one thing; having one that best reflects YOU is another.
    • Paully232000
    • By Paully232000 23rd Jun 13, 5:50 PM
    • 2,071 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    Paully232000
    http://www.jobs.ac.uk/careers-advice/cv-templates

depending on the work you are looking for, and for good general advice this site is very good to give you tips and hints for writing a CV. I used it for a few jobs and got interviews and jobs from it. It is free too.
  • jasonmantle
    i used styleresumes.com and they're good! they offer extensive service and different prices depending on your qualifications, plus they offer 100% money back guarantee. it was worth it, i got many interview calls all due to my new CV and i got a suitable job within less than 1 month!
    • Cycrow
    • By Cycrow 26th Jun 13, 9:19 AM
    • 2,601 Posts
    • 1,474 Thanks
    Cycrow
    i was struggling to get interviews so i decide to pay for a cv writing services and it helped me alot, with the new CV i started to get alot more interviews.

the job i finally got, even commented on the way i wrote my personal statement.

Being dyslexic and not very good at writing, i was never good at writing CVs
    • makeyourdaddyproud
    • By makeyourdaddyproud 3rd Oct 13, 7:24 AM
    • 1,266 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    makeyourdaddyproud
    The higher the salary of the job applied for, the less effective CV writing services are. Think about that for a moment, and you will realise.
    • brendon
    • By brendon 10th Dec 13, 9:14 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    brendon
    You should really write your own CV.

Why not pop down to your local library. My local library has an entire section dedicated to 'career', including many books on how to write a CV.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 27th Dec 13, 9:18 PM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 1,922 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    My local FE college provided CV writing service free of charge
    I've just twicked it over the years and much more recently a jobcentre adviser looked over it and made some recommendations alongside the power of the 'net (while it might have been a tick box exercise defo gave me food for thought even though I was getting interviews see maybe my CV was marketing me in the wrong light) they can also set you up an appointment free of charge with the National Careers Service is it, for creating a CV - don't waste money
    RIP my Rags. 16/06/19 at 4am
    Know I had to moneysave but you didn't have to go
    x
    • Willem-de-Blois
    • By Willem-de-Blois 1st May 14, 11:38 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Willem-de-Blois
    The CV Centre

I was suspicious about these services but when I was coming up to the end of a contract, I read a recommendation for the above in The Guardian.

I thought that I would give it a go and sent the company a disorganised set of Word documents that gave some evidence to my academic and professional background. A couple of days later the CV was sent to me (along with a generic cover letter that I had also ordered). They were so impressive that I asked myself if it was me they were referring to!

I used the CV and the cover letter for a speculative campaign which resulted in me getting a job with only three weeks of unemployment. I sent them to about 50 employers in an industry which has suffered badly during the recession. Employers who weren't recruiting took the time to praise my CV.

In short, the CV Centre did a far better job than I would have done and the fee paid for itself thousands of times over with a new job.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,028Posts Today

6,533Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin