Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Feb 11 at 9:52 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the third Grocery Challenge of 2011, it's almost spring so hopefully this will be a new beginning for all of us.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your February budget, then keep on posting in the February 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-02-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Page 43
    • fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 13th Mar 11, 7:38 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    Nearly threw out the rest of the poaching liquid from the chicken yesterday after made 3 portions of soup with some of it, then found the lentil and leek recipe on the front page and as that is what I had in thought why not chuck it in the pot to cook.

Now have a pot bubbling away then will see how many portions I get out of it. The 10 spent on the chicken is turning into a meal maker with 3 portions of chicken noodle soup, yesterdays tea and todays left over stock making soup. Still have a lot of meat left to make use of and will have a think what I can make it into
    final unsecured debt to repay currently 8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 13th Mar 11, 7:39 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    Keeping you on your toes Rosieben, thought you might prefer the proper recipe, so please can you link to the post above instead? Thank you!! You are an
    DFBX2016 #160 - 3550/8800

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) 0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) 0/795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
  • Hippeechiq
    25 ish spent yesterday
    New Balance 83.22
    Day 8 for NSDs
    Aug11 193.29/240

Oct10 266.72 /275 Nov10 276.71/275 Dec10 311.33 / 275 Jan11 242.25/ 250 Feb11 243.14/ 250 Mar11 221.99/ 230
    Apr11 237.39 /240 May11 237.71/240 Jun11 244.03/ 240 July11 244.89/ 240
    Xmas 2011 Fund 220
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 13th Mar 11, 7:42 PM
    • 13,822 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Meant to say I also made some bread strips today with caraway seeds and cheese. Only my eldest and I like them so I will try a different flavour next time.

I also made some dough balls rolled in vanilla sugar which went down a treat with everyone.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 13th Mar 11, 7:46 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    I'm so weak!

Went to tesc@ today with my children. A) shouldn't have gone at all, and B) shouldn't have taken the children! It was to get them some clothes, as ds has started crying with pain every time he takes a jumper off now! So, needed jumper(s) for him and tops for dd as she's outgrown everything now, although it's been 2 yrs since i needed to buy her any. Not a child protection issue, honest, I just buy big, so they get lots of wear, plus my children seem to be slow growers!

Anyhoo, got the clothes ok, not included in gc. Then, of course, we went for a wander round the rest of the shop. Given that I have started a mr a order, I bought a few things from there, so I can cross them off the online order now. But, I did buy other stuff too. I ended up spending 11.07, which I know isn't a total disaster, but I'm really disappointed with myself. Grrrrrrr...

On the plus side, I have been busy going through my cookery books, ready to photocopy the pages I want to keep, then get rid of the books. I currently have around 200 cookery books, which I feel is somewhat excessive, especially as I cook the same old sh*t all the time! I probably should mention at this point that I reckon I'm ocd plus a major hoarder, and I once decided that I'd like to cook and bake more, so I then bought shedloads of books. At least I'm recognising this now, and trying to fix it. My eventual aim is to have 25-30 books on a shelf (ones where I like the vast majority of the recipes), and then a big ring binder with recipes in it, in order. Then, every month, I'll look through it - of course, most of the recipes from here will be in it too!!, and choose some new things to make. Got loads of ideas so far, can't wait to start. Quite looking forward to clearing my bedroom floor of books too, wonder what colour the carpet is?!!

Sorry for the rant, needed to get stuff out.

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 13th Mar 11, 7:50 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    Minnie - what is it that you don't understand- I will try & help you if I can. Have you read the "Teco Best Offer Ever" thread (or something like that!) on the Grocery forum?
    Originally posted by Long tall sally

ive been doing the asda one - just wondering how tescos worked.i initially thought you had to type in asda stuff at tesco site - but is it just the same as asda? put in tesco details and see if you get anything back?

someone was also talking about different trolleys etc as tescos is different to asda.im just confused! sorry!!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • rosieben
    pepsi-kins, I've added your Chorizo, Haddock and New Potato one pot recipe to the index

Keeping you on your toes Rosieben, thought you might prefer the proper recipe, so please can you link to the post above instead? Thank you!! You are an
    Originally posted by cutiepieabf
    no probs, I've marked it for SC or Hob
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • rosieben
    Meant to say I also made some bread strips today with caraway seeds and cheese. Only my eldest and I like them so I will try a different flavour next time.

I also made some dough balls rolled in vanilla sugar which went down a treat with everyone.
    Originally posted by tigerfeet2006
    did you see thriftlady's Adventures with Bread Dough thread?
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Aldahbra
    • By Aldahbra 13th Mar 11, 8:13 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 3,684 Thanks
    Aldahbra
    My Mr T order came through at 103 but then it was the first order for March. My food budget goes from the 9th to 9th. The first one is always more because I get cleaning stuff and laundry. Usually I spend between 120-150 on this shop so 103 is not bad for me.

Yesterday I spent 8 at the local greengrocers.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    March budget 500 - Remaining budget 344.06
  • karmachilovething
    Haven't updated for a while - mostly because I went a whole week without buying any groceries current personal best.

Small spend at Mr S yesterday, milk, 2 x butter (for 2) and some jam - 5.15 to add to my total
    Total debt: 9473.62 7,384.87 22% PAID
    TAF #25 NSD 8/12 | Food 43.45/50 | eBay 0/20 | Exercise 5/18
    Proud to be Dealing with my Debt
    DFD: June 2015
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 13th Mar 11, 8:57 PM
    • 13,822 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    did you see thriftlady's Adventures with Bread Dough thread?
    Originally posted by rosieben
    How did you guess??

It is a brilliant thread as I can make it with HM GF bread and normal dough done in the BM side by side and everyone can enjoy it.

Definatly want to try the whirls and the plait.
    BSCno.87
  • Long tall sally
    ive been doing the asda one - just wondering how tescos worked.i initially thought you had to type in asda stuff at tesco site - but is it just the same as asda? put in tesco details and see if you get anything back?

someone was also talking about different trolleys etc as tescos is different to asda.im just confused! sorry!!!
    Originally posted by minnie2

Not sure how safe it would be to do an online shop as Mr T are changing their prices daily at the moment but for an instore shop go to MR T's price checker & look up the items that you want under "browse isles". It will show you Mr T's price & Mr A's price. If Mr A is cheaper, buy it at Mr T's & whatever is the difference, Mr T will double. However, it works on your total bill so pay for your items separately that are cheaper at Mr A's. Then when you get home, input your receipt details back into Mr T's price checker & within 36 hours you should hear whether you are entitled to a voucher which can be spent in store at Mr T's or online at Mr T's. If you don't get the email, check your spam box. Make sure you buy the EXACT product that is more expensive at Mr T's & also check that they haven't reduced the price of it by the time you actually get to the shop. Some products cannot be compared with Mr A's & these will show on the price checker as N/a (I think!). It is easier to compare branded goods to non branded. 10 claims max a month with a 100 per month limit, although there are probably ways round this. I don't know how to do links but if you look back through here, I think there is one. Hope this helps!
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 13th Mar 11, 9:24 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    I went to lidl today as I was passing it while taking a friend back home so making the most of my journey I popped in. got a lot of fruit and veg and came home and made parsnip and apple soup. Bought reduced bratwurst sausages and made a toad in the hole and also made banan fritters. I didnt serve up meals-we just picked at it! A friend poppod over who is getting divorced and can't eat at home due to the stress so I fed her-she loved the soup! In well stocked up now and I know Ive spent more than half of this months budget but next week I won't need much.
    Went to poundland as well and stocked up on my favourite hairdye. It is called pro clour plus for anyone who wants to try it-it is excellent and only 1. I use the reddish brown and my friend uses the light brown(or maybe dark blonde) Spent 18 in there and about 35 in Lidl.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • Kitchenbunny
    • By Kitchenbunny 14th Mar 11, 7:30 AM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 20,252 Thanks
    Kitchenbunny
    Well, the lamb breast wasn't a great success, I have to say. I think if I do it again, I'll do it in the slow cooker rather than the oven as it kept quite a lot of its fat even when slow-roasted. Just also want to add that I'll chance my recipe post because the stuffing could do better with less lemon juice and a bit more milk.

No spend day for me today (all being well) as I'm off work poorly. Tea tonight will be biryani as there isn't much cooking involved (found one of those bake in bag jobbies at Mr M).

KB xx

• quintwins
    • By quintwins 14th Mar 11, 8:02 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    managed a nsd yesterday . today i'm not going out as i have no car but i've gave mil the money for a bag of taties cause i ahve none at all, which is ok today because were having curry for tea, but i need them tomorrow so adding 6 to my sig
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
  • funnyflipp
    Am doing hopelessly this month !!! need to look at how I can balance things up for the rest of the month

Meat is the big issue in our house, I need to look at portion sizes and meal plans that reduce the amount I need

Ho hum onwards and upwards
    112121.02 10 Years and counting!
    Target in 2011 22K /10646.97 DFD Feb 2017
    42Lbs /23 Down 19 to go!
    So now I just need to keep going!
    Nearly half way through the year and I'm still here
  • roger ramjet
    Two weeks in, and things starting to look a little daunting! Fresh veg has more or less gone. I have some salad making material in the fridge still, and frozen veg a-plenty. I have one bread mix left, and half a made loaf - so should be okay for about another 10 days for bread. Hard to believe I'm only 2 weeks in - 17 more days to go!!!
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    1st April 2015
    Outstanding Mortgage (1&2): 75023/76400 Target MF date: Jun 2019 (49 payments)
    Target OP (2015): 1500
    Outstanding Mortgage 3: 77000
    Outstanding Loan: 1161 What Loan!
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 14th Mar 11, 10:30 AM
    • 13,822 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    I am going to have a NSD today.

Only 7 more meals to add to my list now, so I am getting there. Hopefully I have got them fairly balanced.
    BSCno.87
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 14th Mar 11, 11:37 AM
    • 13,822 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Wow! on Saturday we had chicken done in the SC, yesterday I used some to do the cheats chicken cassoulet. Today I heated up the carcass in the SC and then sieved it. I saved the liquid for chicken stock and stripped what was left of the meat off. I reckon with a bit of padding with bacon and veg I'll get a lovely pie out of it. That chicken has done us proud
    BSCno.87
    • Chloris
    • By Chloris 14th Mar 11, 11:48 AM
    • 651 Posts
    • 9,422 Thanks
    Chloris
    Milk on the weekend. Sig updated. NSD here. Roast chicken for tea. Might make a gooseberry crumble for pudding to use up some fruit from the freezer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,965Posts Today

7,787Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin