Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dlb
    • By dlb 1st Sep 06, 3:20 PM
    • 2,482Posts
    • 22,017Thanks
    dlb
    Christmas breakfast-Ideas please
    • 1st Sep 06, 3:20 PM
    Christmas breakfast-Ideas please 1st Sep 06 at 3:20 PM
    Is there anything i could put in the slow cooker overnight for xmas day breakfast?

One thing i always make the kids do before we see if santa has been, is have some breakfast, this used to be sat on the stairs at our old house as you couldnt get to the kitchen without going through the main room.

But now we have a dinning room i really would like us all to sit down and enjoy a yummy breakfast before all hell breaks lose ( 4 kids under 10) LOL, and the kids start to eat hundreds of chocolate bars!!!

Any ideas would be great, as i want to set the table with one present for each person at breakfast time, and enjoy something easy but nice.
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
Page 5
    • ragz
    • By ragz 11th Dec 08, 2:50 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    I was reading the whole thread but got halfway through page 2, realised when the thread started and was too shocked to read more!
    I was wondering if this would work in the slow cooker (humour me!)
    If I slung in a tin of beans, some sausages, bacon and WHOLE eggs in shells, overnight - would the eggs be boiled in the morning and would this make a breakfast?
    I'm so excited about xmas now, was in town shopping earlier and everyone is all cheerful and festive, must be infectious as I bounced the double pushchair home smiling my head off!
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
    • ragz
    • By ragz 11th Dec 08, 2:55 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    When my chidren were small Santa used to leave them a small packet of sandwiches and a drink wrapped in Chritmas paper to eat while they were opening there stocking. This gave us a little more time before we had to go downstairs to the main pressies.

Glenda
    Originally posted by glendam
    That is such a fab idea, will be doing that when my 2 are a little older, thankfully they are still too young this year to know what Christmas is but that's a great answer to the "how to feed the kids while lying in bed" question. Mine like to eat the second they wake up!
    In fact, is it ok to do this every day?!
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 11th Dec 08, 2:56 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    We don't even have toast. The kids eat sweets and chocolate from their stockings and I have coffee -OH has toast but he has to get it himself.

I feel that if you make every meal on Christmas Day, (and indeed Christmas Eve, Boxing Day and the rest of the holiday) a special meal you then have to add more and more trimmings to the actual Christmas meal in order for it to stand out as special. Let's face it, we feast all the time here in the overnourished first world.

Oh dear I've come over all holier-than-thou. Sorry didn't mean to I just feel that it is easy to get carried away with trying to make everything a super-experience (and I blame Nigella amongst others for this) when all you need are some loved ones, some gifts and a big roast bird, oh and loads of booze
  • Nitha
    We have pancakes with nutella, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs with Bucks Fizz. DS will have a bottle of milk and pancakes with some jam on (or porridge if he doesn't like them - it's his first xmas)
    Taking baby-steps
  • shelley1977
    we usually have homemade stollen toasted and buttered once the presents are open.
    Adopt don't buy
    Rabbit rehome
    Give a bunny a forever home
  • Bunny200
    We don't even have toast. The kids eat sweets and chocolate from their stockings and I have coffee -OH has toast but he has to get it himself.

I feel that if you make every meal on Christmas Day, (and indeed Christmas Eve, Boxing Day and the rest of the holiday) a special meal you then have to add more and more trimmings to the actual Christmas meal in order for it to stand out as special. Let's face it, we feast all the time here in the overnourished first world.

Oh dear I've come over all holier-than-thou. Sorry didn't mean to I just feel that it is easy to get carried away with trying to make everything a super-experience (and I blame Nigella amongst others for this) when all you need are some loved ones, some gifts and a big roast bird, oh and loads of booze
    Originally posted by thriftlady

I sort of agree, even though I started talking about this earlier today! This is my OH family tradition, when I was a kid we weren't allowed to open presents until we'd eaten a piece of toast, and you've never seen anyone eat toast as quickly as I used to, 3 bites and it was gone!! I sort of like having a fancy breakfast but would rather it was on a different day as you eat enough as it is and I'd rather start the unwrapping frenzy! As I said this is OH tradition and as I HAVE to have cold meat and chips on Boxing Day I guess he can have ham and ketchup for breakfast!! Still dunno what to have, pancakes sound good tho!
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    chocolate and brandy for me. Kids will get them selves cereal when they have opened the presents. Though as they are now teens I dont suppose they will be up before about 10
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

Oscar Wilde
    • touch*my*food*feel*myfork
    • By touch*my*food*feel*myfork 11th Dec 08, 5:47 PM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 16,985 Thanks
    touch*my*food*feel*myfork
    we usually have homemade stollen toasted and buttered once the presents are open.
    Originally posted by shelley1977
    That sounds yummy, i think we may have this with a large cup of coffee.
    Do you have a recipe for the stollen or is it on here already - many thanks.

If people are making pancakes - i make nigellas, very easy and great with maple syrup, lemon and sugar or for a treat a fruit compote - although we have these all year every other weekend near enough so not extra special for us at christmas.
    Am doing them Boxing morning as my mum will be here and she hasn't had them before - special treat for her

• Pitlanepiglet
    • By Pitlanepiglet 11th Dec 08, 6:20 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    Pitlanepiglet
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    We're a bit like that, surely there is nothing wrong with coffee and chocolate for Christmas breakfast

We usually have smoked salmon and toast around midday but that's pretty straightforward!
    Piglet
    • DonnaP
    • By DonnaP 11th Dec 08, 7:27 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    DonnaP
    Slice of pork pie - it is a family tradition going back at least 3 generations (I think its a Midlands thing!)

Mind you, my DD's spend all their time picking out the 'jelly'!!

Donna
    • blueberrypie
    • By blueberrypie 12th Dec 08, 11:18 AM
    • 2,357 Posts
    • 5,197 Thanks
    blueberrypie
    We have crumpets, scones, pancakes, toast - whatever's about - sometimes I make cranberry muffins (delicious) - and we eat them in my bedroom before we go down. The kids' stockings migrate, magically, from their rooms into mine during the night, you see, so they all have to come in to get them - and then they empty them over my bed while we eat. They usually are so excited about the contents of the stockings that it's a good hour or two before anybody says anything about going downstairs at all LOL

We also have Xmas dinner on Xmas Eve, in the evening, which works much better for us. It means that I can have be cooking on Xmas Eve rather than Xmas Day, and everyone's ready for a big meal in the evening rather than mid-afternoon (because that's when they're used to getting their main meal). Also the kids will *eat*, because they aren't full of chocolate etc, and we're not having to ration them in case they spoil their dinner. And they're willing to sit at the table and chat and enjoy a relaxed meal, rather than being desperate to get back to their pressies! And then we have lots of leftovers (planned) on Xmas Day, so there's almost no work for the adults and we can spend the day relaxing and playing with the pressies too, instead of dashing back and forth to the kitchen :-)
  • Reverbe
    I used to like M & S Rodney Raindeer croissants shaped like a reindeers smiling face with a cherry nose but they don't do them anymore
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • garden-lover
    We also have Xmas dinner on Xmas Eve, in the evening, which works much better for us. It means that I can have be cooking on Xmas Eve rather than Xmas Day, and everyone's ready for a big meal in the evening rather than mid-afternoon (because that's when they're used to getting their main meal). Also the kids will *eat*, because they aren't full of chocolate etc, and we're not having to ration them in case they spoil their dinner. And they're willing to sit at the table and chat and enjoy a relaxed meal, rather than being desperate to get back to their pressies! And then we have lots of leftovers (planned) on Xmas Day, so there's almost no work for the adults and we can spend the day relaxing and playing with the pressies too, instead of dashing back and forth to the kitchen :-)

We also used to have our dinner on Christmas Eve when the children were young. So much more relaxed to spend time with them on Christmas Day and it has now become a family tradition. Gets the festivities off to a good start!
    • freebiequennie
    • By freebiequennie 12th Dec 08, 3:34 PM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 3,417 Thanks
    freebiequennie
    we always have those part baked rolls cooked in oven with some organic smoked streaky bacon and a fried organic egg with some ketchup for xmas brekkie.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 12th Dec 08, 4:09 PM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,355 Thanks
    Caterina
    We have pancakes with nutella, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs with Bucks Fizz. DS will have a bottle of milk and pancakes with some jam on (or porridge if he doesn't like them - it's his first xmas)
    Originally posted by Nitha
    OMIGOD Nitha can I come over and have breakfast with you at Christmas? Pancakes with Nutella - total decadence! Now I have got to go to approved foods and order one of their giant Nutella jars, or six even!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • ravylesley
    I've never heard of the pork pie tradition but I dont see why not and I also dont see why the kids cant have choccy for brekkie.But in our house its usually an orgy of toasted items currant t-cakes,crumpets and pancakes.I usually let the kids graze while they are opening their prezzies.I like the idea of bacon sarnies though simple but tasty

Lesleyxx
  • shelley1977
    [quote=touch*my*food*feel*myfork;16665053]That sounds yummy, i think we may have this with a large cup of coffee.
    Do you have a recipe for the stollen or is it on here already - many thanks.

i use delia's recipe from her christmas book.it is also on her website.there are so many different recipes for stollen but this is the one i like the best.
    Adopt don't buy
    Rabbit rehome
    Give a bunny a forever home
  • fernliebee
    When we were younger santa would leave our stockings in our room before he went to bed.....I mean went back to the north pole So we could open these as soon as we woke up (3am) we would get chocolate and sweets as well as fruit in them that we could eat if we wanted, but when we were smaller my brother and I used to save our stuff to 'show' them what santa had brought!! Bless! We weren't aloud to wake mum and dad up until 7am. Though obviously when we were really small it was us waking them every 10 mins saying is it 7 o clock yet! he he! My youngest brother was strange though as he never woke up early and even when I was 18 and he was 10 I was so excited I would have to wake him up!

Then we would go down with dad and he would make a cup of tea and we would eat some quick breakfast like toast or cereal while my mum got the living room ready, put the xmas tree lights on and got the bin bags ready etc! Mum would have laid out all our pressies from them on a chair for each of us so we would have a pile of booty to sort through, then we would take it in turns to open presents from under the tree and we'd have to tell mum who it was from!
    We would be able to eat as much chocolate as we liked all day though we usually were glad of our lovely savoury dinner by the time it arrived!!!

I think it's whatever works for your family really. We used to love the anticipation of waiting for mum to call us in and I wouldn't say it was cruel (as one poster suggested!) Surely if thats your belief you might as well give them their presents as you buy them and not make them wait until christmas day at all! Though saying that we did have friends who were only allowed to open 1 present an hour to the point that sometimes they would have presents left unopened on christmas day as they hadn't had 'time' to open them, and they only got things they needed like school books, stationary and clothes.
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 13th Dec 08, 11:33 AM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,170 Thanks
    pipkin71
    This year, I will be cooking bacon and sausage the night before, so just need to warm it up on the morning, then will be serving it in large yorkshire puddings with tomatoes or baked beans.

We will be prezzie opening before breakfast

Pipkin xxxx
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • LolaLemon
    • By LolaLemon 19th Dec 10, 10:32 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 7,312 Thanks
    LolaLemon
    ive always just had cereal, probably around half an hour to an hour after waking, and since having son, its beent the same.
    I'm a little unsure of what we will be doing this year, as i bought in some plain au chocolates (sp) and the like (was a lidl today <3 that shop!)
    My 3 year old practically lives on porridge, so have a feeling it might end up porridge.

After all the presants are open, mum made bacon rolls and these would last us until dinner at 3

I will be doing a stocking for in the room (well kind of... fish tank with some fish) and i will put some fruit and water in to tide us over while opening 1 or 2 presents in the room before we go down stairs.. I would love to have a dining room so we could miss out the living room and have food and apresent or 2 before the madness begins... but im sure we will be opening presants as we eat, just like i did when growing up....
    after mass we will go to my parents house and get some bacon rolls (i dont buy bacon for some unknown reason) and open more presents that Father Christmas has left over their, some family will drop in until 3 when dinner starts......

I love boxing day, its christmas day without all the stress. you get to pig out and eat the left overs & chocolates, play new toys, instead of waiting half the day for it to get out the box ( whats with those stupid tires with black plastic holey sticks and selotape or even worse screws!!!!) and to find some batteries, watch some old repeats or new dvds.cant beat it.
    Living Simply, not simply living.
    Cheap Christmas '15

Frugal Living for fifth year running. (2010-2015)

Weight Loss - 5b/55lb
    Books Read 2015- 7/30
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,599Posts Today

7,746Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Do you need to show your boarding pass at the airport? And how to make 'em pay you for doing it... https://t.co/g5biFxotXF

• Follow Martin