Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dlb
    • By dlb 1st Sep 06, 3:20 PM
    • 2,482Posts
    • 22,017Thanks
    dlb
    Christmas breakfast-Ideas please
    • 1st Sep 06, 3:20 PM
    Christmas breakfast-Ideas please 1st Sep 06 at 3:20 PM
    Is there anything i could put in the slow cooker overnight for xmas day breakfast?

One thing i always make the kids do before we see if santa has been, is have some breakfast, this used to be sat on the stairs at our old house as you couldnt get to the kitchen without going through the main room.

But now we have a dinning room i really would like us all to sit down and enjoy a yummy breakfast before all hell breaks lose ( 4 kids under 10) LOL, and the kids start to eat hundreds of chocolate bars!!!

Any ideas would be great, as i want to set the table with one present for each person at breakfast time, and enjoy something easy but nice.
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
Page 4
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 4th Sep 06, 12:10 PM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 9,427 Thanks
    Linda32
    how about a continental breakfast fresh rolls with different meats/cheeses/jams and orange juice you could even make croissants or pain au chocolats
    by ziggy2004
    Thats what weused to have when I lived at home
  • Jay-Jay
    My Mum always did kabana's (spicy, smoked sausage) sliced up on a big plate with fresh bread and cups of tea. I never ate them because I just can't eat in the mornings but now my mouth's watering at the thought.

Now we set a time of around 9am and the children aren't allowed to come out of their rooms until then (such a bad parent) otherwise everyone gets overtired by the time we're eating (usually 7pm). We open pressies then hubby makes bacon butties on white sliced bread while the children play with packaging and I admire my presents

Our 'tradition' is to have 'our' private Christmas dinner on Christmas eve ... best thing we ever thought of doing. We meet up with family on Christmas day and eat together but have our own family time too
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 4th Sep 06, 2:11 PM
    • 3,075 Posts
    • 19,355 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    OOOOhhhh I love Xmas

All my shopping is practically done bar 5 gifts. Then all i have to concerntrate on is my little one and my boyfriend. (i know what im getting bf so hes sorted and Ben is a trip to Toys R Us at most!)

Ive even planned my holiday shopping (food) list so thats budgeted fgor too and ive brought some new mas lights which im hoping ill get to put round the windows or somethign cos they were going cheap at a charity shop - my god im like a kid!!

I love Xmas. Now if i can solve a morning breakfast fro a 2 year old who is bound to bounce off the walls as soon as he sees all the presents ill be sorted.
    Finally sorting myself out.
    Debts - 2022.18 owed. 8 lenders.
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 4th Sep 06, 2:33 PM
    • 2,379 Posts
    • 25,796 Thanks
    snoozer
    We have smoked salmon and scrambled egg with Bucks Fizz every year but usually after present opening.
  • rchddap1
    I love Xmas. Now if i can solve a morning breakfast fro a 2 year old who is bound to bounce off the walls as soon as he sees all the presents ill be sorted.
    When we were kids we had stockings which we could open when we woke up...but all the rest were shut in the lounge. We weren't allowed into the lounge until we were washed, dressed and fed....and the adults too.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 Now seemingly a normal little monster.
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • Jay-Jay
    Now if i can solve a morning breakfast fro a 2 year old who is bound to bounce off the walls as soon as he sees all the presents ill be sorted.
    by sammy_kaye18

Buttered wholemeal toast fingers! Easy, filling and he can eat them while he's playing with his toys.

(don't shout at me for not encouraging a child to eat at the table... it's CHRISTMAS!!!! )
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• moggins
    • By moggins 4th Sep 06, 2:45 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    by sammy_kaye18
    Toast, that way he doesn't spill any milk whilst he's bouncing around

We always let them have their stockings before breakfast, that way they've alleviated the anxiety a little before breakfast and are more willing to eat something.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
    • dlb
    • By dlb 4th Sep 06, 2:58 PM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 22,017 Thanks
    dlb
    Yes i do let my kids have their stockings before we go daownstairs too.
    But then breaky before madness and santas present opening begins.
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 4th Sep 06, 3:03 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    I just do loads of buttered toast, crumpets and muffins and a big pot of tea!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Lillibet
    Am I particually weird for delaying the present opening for as long as possible? I like to eek out the day as much as I can, there are many more traditions than just the opening of the pressies but this is my favourite I must admit When I was growing up it was always stocking as soon as I woke up (4am once) but family pressies under the tree were always after lunch no matter how young I was & it's still the same now. I wouldn't mind delaying the stocking until after brekkie now that I'm older although I wouldn't expect Spud to do this, and I'd put off the main pressies until Boxing day if everyone else would let me! I just love the anticipation and hate the anti-climax which always seems to previal when the pressie part is over

Sorry to go OT:rolleyes:
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • moggins
    • By moggins 4th Sep 06, 4:54 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    To me the presents are just one part of christmas, I just want to know when they are going to put Noels Christmas back on
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
  • Bunny200
    Ideas for Xmas Day breakfast
    My OH likes to have a special breakfast on Xmas day, he always has a Ham and we have Champagne and real coffee etc. I usually have croissants but fancy something different this year, I'm not keen on the ones you bake yourself and don't want to have to go looking for them in the shops on xmas eve. I was wondering how do you make croissants and danish pastries, is it just puff pastry? I have loads of apricot jam (from my cake!) so I was wondering if I could mak danish pastries, bearing in mind I don't want to spend too long doing it on the morning as the kids want to open their presents! What are you having and do you have any ideas for me? BTW I don't like fish so don't suggest smoked salmon!
    • kazmeister
    • By kazmeister 11th Dec 08, 11:42 AM
    • 3,174 Posts
    • 52,859 Thanks
    kazmeister
    Aldi do cans of the dough ready made that you just roll out and fill with what you fancy. Its in the refridgerated section. We've used it and the kids loved it, filled ours with chunks of choclate which went down beautifully when warm. If you dont fancy that I have a recipe somewhere which I can look out. I'm sure you could make the dough and keep in fridge till the morning
    Lost my wings, need to learn to fly again
  • lilac_lady
    If you cook the Chritmas dinner, wouldn't it be nice if your OH made breakfast on Christmas morning? It saves you wondering what to have - pass the pressure onto him!
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 11th Dec 08, 11:46 AM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    We have croissants, with HM jam and filter coffee - I want an appetite for lunch, and I'll have enough cooking later in the day

I'll add this to the existing thread so that you can se other ideas

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 11th Dec 08, 11:54 AM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    a couple of chocolates sneaked in early on
    then salmon and champagne later
    my 8 yr old wants caviar
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 11th Dec 08, 11:59 AM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,355 Thanks
    Caterina
    Poached eggs on toast probably (courtesy of DH) and most assuredly chocolate in some form or the other.

This year the teens are cooking the Christmas Lunch so we are going to laze about on the sofa watching old films, eating biscuits and drinking tea YIPPEEEEEE!!!!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • tinksy
    ooo i love christmas traditions!!! I am the BIGGEST kid about christmas - god help me when i actually have kiddies!! When at home christmas goes like this - stockings downstairs in the lounge, then breakfast, usually croissants, part baked bread, chocolatines and yummy cheese spreads and juices!!! then we would all shower and get dressed up and then head to nannys. then a cup of tea and a biscuit before pressies!! then lunch and more pressies!!

this year is my 1st year with my OH and we are planning a special breakfast with bucks fizz before heading off to the inlaws for lunch!
    xx
    Crafting for 2009 items done

One patchwork blanket, two neck supports, one tea cosy, one knitted bunny, one knitted egg!
  • longforthesun
    We have American Style Pancakes with maple syrup, scrammbled eggs, bacon, sausages. Also have croissants and pain au chocolat (SP) with bucks fizz and fresh organge juice for the ones who don't like bucks fizz. Although we do have this after all presents have been opened. I also lay the table with crackers as the kids love pulling them. Once its all over i relay the table for dinner with more crackers. Really looking forward to it this year as DS is 3 and this is the first christmas where he has really gotten into the whole santa idea. He walks down the street shouting Santas comming and telling his naughty older sister Santas watching.
    February 2013 NSD - 4
  • jorichste
    wow, you are all soooo good!! I usually put some buttered toast on a plate and we just grab it as we're opening pressies.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

390Posts Today

4,421Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin