Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 111
    • procrastinator
    • By procrastinator 17th Jul 08, 7:07 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 7,018 Thanks
    procrastinator
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=787527

I have just been on this thread and it is racist,, it has been edited to say

Scottish recipes not welcome ,if its all the same to you

can someone please enlighten me please
    Originally posted by KAAT_LADY
    Please, please read all the posts before making accusations like this.Your coments are most unfair, the spirit this was meant is obvious when reading on.
    WL 11 st 5lb as at 050109. 160209 11st 2lb
    11st 5lb as at 20.04.09 11st 7lbs 040509 11st6 010609 I wish 2016 175 lbs.
    Family of 3 at home - , DS 22, self and OH
    • turbo5019
    • By turbo5019 17th Jul 08, 7:09 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    turbo5019
    Welcom back Mrs M

Well I went to MrA I needed some rolls for DD2 dinner & some nappies. I normally only buy 1 pk at a time as she only wears them at night Reusable during then day. But they are on offer 3 for 10. Wasn't till i looked at reicept when I got home that the shopping came to 13.56 but I bought a pair of trouses which were 8 (a different buget). When I look closely they only charged for 1 so saved 6.22 Whoooooo this never happends to me.

Really need to get motivated to bake again I have ran out of bread have a little in the freezer just getting tired with pregnancy only 7 weeks to go but no energy.

Better go and update sig
    GC 7.79/225 per month ~ wk1 7.79/ 50
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 17th Jul 08, 7:12 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Please, please read all the posts before making accusations like this.Your coments are most unfair, the spirit this was meant is obvious when reading on.
    Originally posted by procrastinator
    Maybe you should read all posts first before replying too as Kaat_Lady also said this

Thanks for that I know nothing about rugby or the dates it was played

I just wondered what it was about

Thanks guys
    I didnt read any more as it just got my back up and now I feel very embarrassed
    Last edited by angelnikki; 17-07-2008 at 7:15 PM.
    • queen of string
    • By queen of string 17th Jul 08, 7:15 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 3,879 Thanks
    queen of string
    Havingthe usual 8pm dilemma here, have a nsd or pop to tesco to look for super (30p or less) whoopsies. Hmmmm tough call.
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
    • procrastinator
    • By procrastinator 17th Jul 08, 7:16 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 7,018 Thanks
    procrastinator
    Hi Mrs MC
    Afternoon everyone

Im home at last .... just wanted to pop in and say a HUGE thankyou for all the PMs i have had off various folks whilst i have been away... it has meant so much..thankyou .... its been a difficult few weeks to say the least but at least neither my mama or sis are suffering now-which is the main thing.

I have the attention span of a gnat at the moment -but im hopping that getting back into my routine here and on the weightloss thread will soon sort me out

Im not going to declare a budget for the bit of this month that is left..but i will be popping in and out (whilst trying to catch up with the thread ) then i will be raring to get back into the swing of things as soon as August starts.... have 3 new health/cook books to work through as i do my meal plan -have decided that i need to alter my eating further -hopefully to reduce the risks of suffering as sis did.... will share any reipes i think may be wanted
    Still won't be spending much as i have a freezer/cupboards full and have just been out and topped up my fruit n veg...and look what i have fetched out of the garden this morning

Not bad to say it has been left to its own devices for 3 weeks..loads more still out there and once they start ripening -enough tomatoes to feed the town
    right - i had better get on..have a great day everyone
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER

Wellcome back Mrs M.
    Your veggies look brill. You inspired me to plant some and whilst mine are nowhere near as good as yours (I planted them weeks later) I am hoping to get some return. Lots of greenery at the moment. Have beans and toms and other things that I forget so will have a surprise when they mature and reveal what they are.
    Take it easy, enjoy the new cook books. Thousand hugs to you.
    WL 11 st 5lb as at 050109. 160209 11st 2lb
    11st 5lb as at 20.04.09 11st 7lbs 040509 11st6 010609 I wish 2016 175 lbs.
    Family of 3 at home - , DS 22, self and OH
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 17th Jul 08, 7:18 PM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 35,519 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Originally posted by procrastinator

I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO READ A WHOLE THREAD TO SEE IF IT IS DEROGATORY TO A CERTAIN SECTOR OF PEOPLE, , IT WAS NOT OBVIOUS,, THE REASON I WENT TO THAT POST WAS FOR THE RECIPE FOR A CAKE NOT TO READ SOMETHING LIKE THAT,, IN ANY CASE IT WAS NOT MADE OBVIOUS BY ANY KIND OF " WINK "
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 17th Jul 08, 7:47 PM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 35,519 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    hi there all

just made another loaf in the BM we seem to eat a bit too much of it ,, but it is nice

see ya later
    berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

• winniepooh
    Well I've just ordered my shopping online at tesco managed to get an evoucher that worked so saved 6.00.

Doing well for my first challenge hopefully it carrys on.

I'm going to attempt a rubber chicken next week
    I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!

JUST LOVES THE O/S BOARD
    • Sosh
    • By Sosh 17th Jul 08, 8:01 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    Sosh
    I am looking for a copy of Mrs M's courgette muffin recipie. i have been searching past challenges but can't find it.

If any one has it, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
    Thanks to all the lovely people on here I have managed to cut my hours down to 2 days a week, allowing me to spend more time with my gorgeous Children.
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 17th Jul 08, 8:07 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    I am looking for a copy of Mrs M's courgette muffin recipie. i have been searching past challenges but can't find it.

If any one has it, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Sosh
    Here it is

It is supposed to be made in a 2lb loaf tin..but i decided to turn it into mini muffins (hubby doesn't have much of a sweet tooth and i still have enough weight to lose -so thought mini was a good idea ) it made 38

Anyone who likes carrot/passioncake should love this one

COURGETTE TEA BREAD
    pre-heat oven to 180c/350f/gas 4
    grease a 2lb loaf tin and bottom line with greaseproof paper - make it so it comes up the narrow edges so you can use it to lift it out
    or line muffin tins with papers
    1. 1 large egg
    2. 125ml sunflower oil
    3. 175g courgettes -trimmed and grated (on large holes)
    4. 150g wholewheat flour -i used ordinary
    5. 1/2tsp baking powder
    6. 1tsp bicarb
    7. 1tsp ground cinnamon
    8. 175g soft dark brown sugar
    9. 75g sultanas
    10. 3oz walnuts chopped
    • tip courgettes and all dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well
    • whisk egg into the oil and pour into dry goods
    • mix to a thick batter and pour in tin
    • shove in oven for about 1 hr or until a skewer comes out clean..cool in tin for 10 mins before turning out to cool
    How is THAT for a method? ...chuck it in, stir it round..job done
    when cutting you will need a really sharp knife as its lovely n sticky and This will keep in a tin for 1 week.... or can be frozen.
    i made 38 mini muffins and they took about 15 mins a batch and if you let them stand for a few seconds in the tin they firm up and are easier to remove
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Evening ladies n gents and thanks for the warm welcome back
    • Have made a start on eating the veggies .... fetched loads of salad leaves out of the garden for lunch and so made a huge salad with 3 kinds of cucumber-all taste really different to each other , raw carrots out of the garden (plus lots more stuff from the fridge)and steamed some of the baby potatoes.... -i had some sardine fillets in lemon oil to try and i actually like them -which is double as they are only 49c a tin, so cheaper than tuna and they are super good for me
    • Shelled the broad bean/peas -fending off hubby from the peas
    • Have decided to make the 2 courgette/marrows into a casserole/ratatouille thing with garlic, tomatoes, mushrooms peppers and some soya beans i have just put to soak.... which i think i will do with some gnocci i have in the cupboard
    • Hubby has requested luxury cauliflower cheese tomorrow... so i will serve that with steamed potatoes, and lots of beans
    • the asparagus peas need to be stir fried so i will save some beans/peas and do them with thai salmon -
    So i think i have just about figured a way of using it all lots of cheap meals there...have loads more stuff on the way... my 1st aubergine is about 5" long so far but there are 14 more flowers so far-so fingers crossed and i have loads of patty pan on the way....

Hubby is golfing tomorrrow so im going for the walk and then we are going to nip into the big naffi on the way back.... looking for super whoopsies of course
    I need to get some baguettes made in the morning...going to have a go at some granary/seedy ones for me... have made 2 batches whilst i was back home and got everyone addicted so mum is now going to have to make some too
    Right im now off to read those cook books i have been trying to get at all day..have a great evening all
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 17th Jul 08, 8:21 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    just got back from MrA. Got some whoopsies, got all the way back to the car and then realised I'd not got anything I actually went for! So back in I went to get milk, cheese, scouring pads and rubber gloves. Never mind heh! Better update sig now, little money left until next week.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT 92727.75 49395.47 43332.28 repaid 100.77% of 43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt 52856.59 6316.14 46540.45 repaid 101.17% of 46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my 6316.14 0 mortgage debt. 6316.14 100% repaid.
  • Sunny Donny
    Hi All
    Found the receipt - been busy uploading stuff onto ebay, 13 items on 42 still to edit and attach photos to.
    Spent 1.85 in Lidle on fruit and veg - will last us to the weekend when I can get to town.
    Out for lunch tomorrow - one of the bosses treating me, so no sarnies to make in the morning - definately NSD!!!!
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 17th Jul 08, 8:36 PM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 35,519 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Good night all see you tomorrow

berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

• Justamum
    • By Justamum 17th Jul 08, 8:48 PM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 35,888 Thanks
    Justamum
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=787527

I have just been on this thread and it is racist,, it has been edited to say

Scottish recipes not welcome ,if its all the same to you

can someone please enlighten me please
    It's just Mrbadexample's sense of humour!

• tq16
    Hi all.
    denisefowler not nosey at all-Money not good enough to cover childcare and really want to spend more time with girls. Had to work after dd1(part-time) but thanks to this site have now been able to stop-going to be very tight but think its worth it. :-)
    Dink1, herewegoagain Thank you
    felinefantastic Hope your mum makes speedy recovery
    Mrsmc welcome back-massive hugs
    ifonlyitwaseasier hope you start to feel better soon
    hugs to all
    (Family of 5: 2 adults & 3 children aged 7yrs, 4yrs, and 18months)
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 17th Jul 08, 9:01 PM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 35,888 Thanks
    Justamum
    Good night all see you tomorrow

I wish I could post these lovely "blingy" things like you

By the way, I've just noticed where you live. Isn't that where Puff the Magic Dragon lives?

• smetf
    Hi all
    Huge Mr T shop has arrived so sig updated- hadn't managed to change order so just sent some stuff back with nice delivery driver!

Angelnikki thanks for your reply, spoke to a friend who shops with Mr T frequently and she said same as you no problems- this freezing thing happens to me all the time so think it must be something peculiar to me! Next time it happens will phone customer services and see what they can do!

Still need to buy:
    beer
    milk
    cereal
    meat
    pittas

for trip- oh and bake a cake too, pack, collect portable black out blind (I want to sleep till 6am if poss ) do fundraising event at school, clean and tidy house (in case of unexpected viewings whilst away) stressed me? Possibly!!

Smetf

• Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 17th Jul 08, 9:09 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 6,332 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Evening All
    A NSD today. Will be using up what I have got in as today we booked our holiday and are going away to France next Friday for about 2 weeks.
    Welcome back MrsM have been thinking of you alot.

have a good evening what's left of it.
    MFIT Challenge save 40k
    48828.05/46842.89/-1985.16Mortgage neutral 03/19
    • Sosh
    • By Sosh 17th Jul 08, 9:20 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    Sosh
    Thank you very much angelnikki I shall make a batch tomorrow.

My maternity leave ends on Monday , although my School breaks up for Summer on Tuesday

After the Summer, my childcare costs will increase by 300 a month. But thanks to some minor budget rejigging and this challenge, DH & I won't have to pay any more into the joint account.

Thanks Guys, keep passing those tips on.
    Thanks to all the lovely people on here I have managed to cut my hours down to 2 days a week, allowing me to spend more time with my gorgeous Children.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

133Posts Today

2,125Users online

Martin's Twitter