Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 110
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 17th Jul 08, 4:07 PM
    • 7,655 Posts
    • 10,533 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Hi there. haven't posted for a while - this whole baby thing has left me utterly shattered by 4 in the afternoon. Last night I went to bed at quarter to 8 and slept through 12 full hours and could easy have stayed for more if it wasn't for work!

We're doing really well on the grocery challenge at the moment. My budget tracker shows 37 total spend in the last 2 weeks since coming back from holidays. Need to get a few fresh bits and prices tonight but have done really well from store cupboards/freezer without even resorting to any mystery combinations so far. It helps that Hubbles is at a client with a subsidised canteen. He gets a 3 course meal and breakfast for about a pound and only wants a light snack at night.

Tonight is poached haddock and egg over mash with spring onions. Any (raw) extra fish will be added to the odds in the freezer to make a cider and leek fish pie at the weekend. Also planning to defrost some beef tonight to chuck into the slow cooker for a stew at the weekend as the weather has been so miserable and cold.

Had a lovely risotto with broad beans and mushrooms on Tuesday with pork medallions (no shopping required ) and last night had the left overs in fried off in little patties and some crispy bacon (still no shopping required )

Tomorrow still needs some thought ...
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 1050/13876.59 : W 0% 100/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =25.17%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% 400/2,977 =13.44%
    SPC 2019 #073

• KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 17th Jul 08, 4:14 PM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 35,525 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=787527

I have just been on this thread and it is racist,, it has been edited to say

Scottish recipes not welcome ,if its all the same to you

can someone please enlighten me please
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 17th Jul 08, 4:21 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos

Originally posted by KAAT_LADY
    Just checked the dates, the thread was started the day Scotland beat England in the six nations, so i'm guessing Mr Badexample was feeling a bit bitter and twisted?
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 17th Jul 08, 4:21 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki

It was just a joke as that evening scotland won the rugby ...(or something like that...)
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 17th Jul 08, 4:28 PM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 35,525 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Thanks for that I know nothing about rugby or the dates it was played

I just wondered what it was about

Thanks guys
    berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

• searching_me
    • By searching_me 17th Jul 08, 4:36 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    well i did pooooo my total im declaring at 230 30 over ... but i blame that on my vistors last weekend my august budget is once again 200 my month dont start til saturday but im going away for a couple of days tomorrow so wont be back til after the budget start sooooo maybe save me some pennies i am gonna do it next month come hell or high water
    glad to have you back mrs m missed you and your stories of your garden and reduced items (holds in the jealously ) hope your doing ok though xxx
    Still searching .....
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 17th Jul 08, 4:39 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Well another NSD today - good job as I need to chalk some up before the end of this month on 30th July. Not going anywhere tonight as I have a headache and am really tired, despite the 9.30am wake up! The nana mufins are nearly gone so I suspect more baking will be needed tomorrow- any idea what I could make with a punnet of nice purple plums ?
    Have fun and bye for now
  • Sunny Donny
    welcome back Mrs M

have been shopping, but haven't worked out how much I spent yet, so will post back in a bit - also when I've caught up on the last couple of pages
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
    • Boomdocker
    • By Boomdocker 17th Jul 08, 5:09 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 2,348 Thanks
    Boomdocker
    MrsM.
    Just a line to welcome back MrsM. ((hugs))
    Boots Card - 17.53, Nectar Points - 15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
    2015 Savings Fund - 2575.00
    • wendywitch
    • By wendywitch 17th Jul 08, 5:12 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 15,029 Thanks
    wendywitch
    Quick question, is there an easy way of getting left over meat off a chicken carcass? :confused:

In the old days I would have used what I needed for the roast dinner then pulled off any big bits for sandwiches etc as I couldn't bare fiddling around with it.
    I must do better now and not waste food
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 17th Jul 08, 5:27 PM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,340 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Quick question, is there an easy way of getting left over meat off a chicken carcass? :confused:

In the old days I would have used what I needed for the roast dinner then pulled off any big bits for sandwiches etc as I couldn't bare fiddling around with it.
    I must do better now and not waste food
    Originally posted by wendywitch
    Boil it in a big pan of water then save the stock for soup. when you take the chicken out, it is much easier to remove all the extra meat, which can either be added to the soup stock or else seasoned for including in pies, stir fries, fajitas, rice dishes such as curry/sweet & sour or burgers etc. Works fine for me and the meat can be frozen if you don't want to use it right away Welcome to rubber chicken land

I'm off to update my signature now as I was FORCED into buying half a dozen farm eggs (70p). I HAD to! We were half a portion short on our 5-a-day, so I HAD to bake a fruit loaf with enough raisins to keep us balanced. Accidentally baked 2 dozen sponges at same time, but if I ice them and stick a cherry on top then they are bound to contribute a tiny bit to the 5-a-day fruit & veg.
    Last edited by Frugaldom; 17-07-2008 at 5:31 PM.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
  • annelouise
    Welcome Back Mrsm
    Good evening all,

Had a busy couple of days putting house on the
    market,
    decluttering and cleaning...

Yesterday I turfed out dd8 and ds4 bedroom - recycled old clothes,bagged up clothes for friends children,sorted cd's,gave away toys.Bleached all sills,skirting,windows,changed beds.

Did my bedroom except mopping floor.

Did main bathroom.

Bleached all shower room,cleaned mirrors.

Kitchen drawers,oven,tiles,hob,fridge,glass.

Bleached the drains and loo's.

Just need to sweep front balcony,and mop throughout.

Tidy back garden which I have already weeded and tidied utility.

I've put the kids bikes in a neighbours garden and will borrow a couple of cushions and luxury towels tomorrow as I have a viewing so fingers crossed for me xxxxx

Doing really well still,averaging 2-3 NSD a week.Shopping with my listworks wonders.

Today I made 50 pork and red pepper meatballs from 1kg steak mince ,400g pork mince,1 apple,1 onion,dash ginger,dash mixed herbs,1/2 red pepper.1 egg white.

Cooked them all off and popped in a batch of 8 in the fridge for the kids,froze 1 large and 1 small batch for next week when my guests arrive.

Kids had omelette for lunch dd9
    Leftover ravioli dd8 and ds4
    Left over fishcake for me

Dinner was savoury rice and baked bean chili hm

Tomorrowis fish night...

Had a mooch with the kids at the new toy shop and pet shop for an hour this afternoon - cheap and no we can't have a puppy.

Tomorrows lunch is toasted cheese sandwiches and veggies sticks to use up both,celery soup for me.

Off to do a bit more

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 17th Jul 08, 5:41 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower

Yes, just a joke about scotland winning the rugby, if you read through the rest you'll see - also comments about Wales - must have been a bad night for us then...(meaning England for me) Cake looks scrummy tho! Think that's being made tomorrow...
    LBM April 2013 - 29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC 783.75
    Barclaycard CC 1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC 1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD 1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - 95.00 budget / spend -
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 17th Jul 08, 5:53 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    I would say get DH to do it but that doesn't work!
    How about putting it in the slow cooker, it virtually falls off the bones then.

There was a discussion about cooking fish pie the other day and there was a conflab about cooking the fish first. I never cook the fish first, and it's always cooked fine when I get it out of the oven but mine is a fan oven- don't know if that helps.

Angelatgraceland, I noticed you are in North somerset. If you know where puxton park is then they sell free range eggs for 1.35 for 10. I didn't think that was too bad as I usually pay 10p per egg for caged ones from the supermarket. They do have a lovely farm shop there and they sell ecover products so that you can refill your tubs there.

MrsM- so pleased to see you're back, even if it's not the best circumstances. So sorry about your news.
    Went to the play farm today and spent 4.35 on coffee, a bun some juice and 10 eggs. I think it will have to come from the grocery budget not the treats because we've spent loads from the treats budget this month already.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT 92727.75 49395.47 43332.28 repaid 100.77% of 43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt 52856.59 6316.14 46540.45 repaid 101.17% of 46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my 6316.14 0 mortgage debt. 6316.14 100% repaid.
    • savingpennies
    • By savingpennies 17th Jul 08, 5:54 PM
    • 666 Posts
    • 4,345 Thanks
    savingpennies
    Gone off meal plan a bit this week as Mum bought us all fish and chips when me and my family and brother and his family all called on her at once. Gas fire was serviced yesterday and by paying cash they knocked 5 off the bill and I had enough Boots points to pay for DD1&2's mobiles to be topped up 10 each as well, so pin money saving stacking up nicely. Get paid on 28th so budget to last approx. one more week.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    2019 in 2019: 68.73
    2019 2 savers:
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 17th Jul 08, 6:12 PM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 35,525 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Yes, just a joke about scotland winning the rugby, if you read through the rest you'll see - also comments about Wales - must have been a bad night for us then...(meaning England for me) Cake looks scrummy tho! Think that's being made tomorrow...
    Originally posted by denisefowler

Yes denise

I am going to make the yoghurt cake tomorow as I have a strawberry yog to use up

I didnt read any more as it just got my back up and now I feel very embarrassed

Last edited by KAAT_LADY; 17-07-2008 at 6:19 PM.
    berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

• procrastinator
    • By procrastinator 17th Jul 08, 6:42 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 7,018 Thanks
    procrastinator
    Extended veggie shepherds pie
    Just thought I would share the dinner I made tonight. So many posts regarding extending (meat) mince I thought I would try it with veggie mince - I used realeat frozen soya mince. Quarter of pack with onions, carrots and mush (lightly fry these first) then added red lentils, oats, tin toms and stock cube. Also some sweetcorn that had been left in fridge. Simmer whilst waiting for tatoes to cook. Served with cabbage. Family decleared it delish. Only downside was it caught on bottom of pan, that never normally happens, have others found this? Do I need to be more vigilant. Had it on low heat.
    WL 11 st 5lb as at 050109. 160209 11st 2lb
    11st 5lb as at 20.04.09 11st 7lbs 040509 11st6 010609 I wish 2016 175 lbs.
    Family of 3 at home - , DS 22, self and OH
  • Coolmum66
    Hello to all in the grocery challenge

Am feeling good this week - total grocery spends for the month are 91.09 (out of a budget of 200 - think this is still looking good!), and am also sooooo close to my weight loss goal - I've just got 1/2lb to go.

Take care all and have a good weekend!

Coolmum66 xx
    Debt at 2nd LBM (!) Jun 08 8,435 - hm, let's not go there!!
    DFW Nerd - 721 / DFW Long Hauler 4 / DFD - ASAP!!
    Sealed pot challenge - member 336 - 200 target
  • toottifrootti
    Yup you can use it as a toner, it smells lovely to. If you lived closer I'd give you some, not sure they'd survive in the post to scotland though! Garden centre would be a good bet, head for the geraniums (pelargoniums) and squish the leaves of the ones they call 'scented geraniums' if you get one that smells like roses then you have a rose scented geranium. You can use the leaves in cooking, lemon scented ones are good to Its very hard to find dried rose geranium leaves, if you manage it when you get them they hardly have any fragrance in them , much better to use fresh ones. Apologies to all those peeps as this isn't strictly grocery challenge as Tootti pointed out, but it could be if you were going to buy some facial toner and it came out of the grocery budget

Welcome back Mrs M nice to see you again, your veggies look superb, all this rain has done all our veggies good, a little silver lining to the recent deluge of clouds maybe?
    Originally posted by Herbaholic
    Thats brilliant herbaholic - I can see I will be referring to you for all things herbal as time goes on! is it generally better to use fresh herbs in cooking rather than dried and is it cheaper?
    TFxx
    Peace will be mine
    could do better - must try harder
    Live each day as if its your last
    DFW Nerd #1000 Proud to be dealing with my debts

• KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 17th Jul 08, 7:02 PM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 35,525 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Hi there everybody

Just had HM curry and rice, rice was left over from yesterday and I kept it in the fridge

berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,566Posts Today

7,075Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin