Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Terrysdelight
    • By Terrysdelight 18th Jun 19, 4:32 PM
    • 944Posts
    • 142Thanks
    Terrysdelight
    Text messages on to PC?
    • 18th Jun 19, 4:32 PM
    Text messages on to PC? 18th Jun 19 at 4:32 PM
    Hi

Is there a way I can send text messages (from a mobile phone contract) on to a PC?

Basically I am helping out a voluntary group who liaise with other volunteers to give car rides to the elderly for hospital appointments. They only have one phone line which is constantly busy and the staff have to ring round volunteers to see who is available. Its incredibly time consuming and chaotic. I've spoken with all the drivers and they confirm they are happy to receive text messages re availability and then they can simply reply yes or no. Using a big computer screen and a keyboard would be much better for us technophobes!

So, grateful if any of the techie people are aware of any apps that could be used for the mobile phone to pc.

Many thanks
    Terrysdelight
    Last edited by Terrysdelight; 18-06-2019 at 4:34 PM.
Page 2
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 18th Jun 19, 7:03 PM
    • 2,171 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    Dandytf
    the previous update also featured your phone
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    Forgot which insiders pre 1903 beta included the phone feature.

Thanks anyway
    sc dmp 2012 13k Jan 2019 9880paid. 75%approx.
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month
    Mid 2019-Virgin Money e-saver reward 18 -252 Uk pounds
    • d123
    • By d123 18th Jun 19, 7:09 PM
    • 7,908 Posts
    • 5,162 Thanks
    d123
    i would still use whatsapp for the 30% (+) as sms won't be around in 5 years time
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    Highly unlikely, text messaging isnít going anywhere anytime soon.

I bet you said the same about cheques and will soon say it about cash as well?
    ====
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 19th Jun 19, 7:50 AM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 602 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Skype will send mesages to their mobile phones...and if you give Skype (on your PC or tablet) your own phone number if they respond their message sill come back to your phone. So, the drivers would use text all the time keeping them content.

Only you need to load Skype (free), you can then use it (as well as the messaging outlined above) to call other Skype users, message them, video call them, transfer files and pictures too all those free.

Text messaging from Skype to phone does cost, for a short message just a few pence (about 5 from memory...).

As mentioned befofe as well as sinble contacts you can have groups too.
    • dan958
    • By dan958 19th Jun 19, 10:23 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    dan958
    I used to use a program called MightyText, and it worked great.
    • viv0147
    • By viv0147 19th Jun 19, 1:32 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 9,767 Thanks
    viv0147
    Mysms
    https://www.mysms.com/ you can use on the mobile and computer and it's free
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
    • Yorkshire Traveller
    • By Yorkshire Traveller 19th Jun 19, 10:19 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Yorkshire Traveller
    I also use Mightytext for computer to phone texting and have been very satisfied.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 21st Jun 19, 4:37 PM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 602 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Now I read again, a bit confused (I know I easily am ) by the difference bdtween title and text!!

Do you want to send text from pc to a selection of mobiles?....or
    Send text from mobiles to pc?....or
    both ways?.....or
    replies from mobiles to a 'generic' mobile ....with an original invite from what type of device?

You may of course already have found a satisfactory solution!.....?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,860Posts Today

3,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin