Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paragon909
    • By paragon909 15th May 19, 8:24 PM
    • 1,406Posts
    • 1,398Thanks
    paragon909
    Monzo Bank Disgrace
    • 15th May 19, 8:24 PM
    Monzo Bank Disgrace 15th May 19 at 8:24 PM
    Monzo must be the worst so called "bank" in the UK. Every other normal bank that I have had issues with ATM withdrawals they dispute and refund. Oh no Monzo refuse to refund me saying it can take 3 months to investigate and give me 30 to shut up. Even though it's my ESA money. Idiots.

Think I'll need to find a normal bank and not these stupid prepaid or digital only banking. People demonise normal banks but at least they have more powers to refund you and help rather than letting you suffer. And the Monzo staff reply with funny faces, How patronising!
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 15th May 19, 8:36 PM
    • 4,705 Posts
    • 2,836 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 15th May 19, 8:36 PM
    • 15th May 19, 8:36 PM
    Apart from your attitude, what are the issues affecting you?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 15th May 19, 8:37 PM
    • 34,567 Posts
    • 21,867 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 15th May 19, 8:37 PM
    • 15th May 19, 8:37 PM
    Monzo must be the worst so called "bank" in the UK. Every other normal bank that I have had issues with ATM withdrawals they dispute and refund. Oh no Monzo refuse to refund me saying it can take 3 months to investigate and give me 30 to shut up. Even though it's my ESA money. Idiots.

Think I'll need to find a normal bank and not these stupid prepaid or digital only banking. People demonise normal banks but at least they have more powers to refund you and help rather than letting you suffer. And the Monzo staff reply with funny faces, How patronising!
    Originally posted by paragon909
    Wrong forum, PVW would be more appropriate.

Did you complain and go to the ombudsman ?
    • colsten
    • By colsten 15th May 19, 8:47 PM
    • 10,523 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    colsten
    • 15th May 19, 8:47 PM
    • 15th May 19, 8:47 PM
    Every other normal bank that I have had issues with ATM withdrawals they dispute and refund.
    This sounds as if you have substantial experience with multiple banks, and with ATM withdrawal issues. What sort of issues do you have with ATM withdrawals? Which banks solved them to your satisfaction?

What exactly did happen, or not happen, with Monzo? Have you raised a formal complaint with them? Have you had a final response from them about your complaint? Have you taken your complaint to the FOS?
    • jonnygee2
    • By jonnygee2 15th May 19, 8:53 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 1,502 Thanks
    jonnygee2
    • 15th May 19, 8:53 PM
    • 15th May 19, 8:53 PM
    Most people will only need to raise ATM related chargebacks extremely infrequently. ATM errors happen, but they are rare.

Yet you seem intimately familiar with how several different banks handle ATM chargeback claims? Sorry but this seems fishy to me.

Monzo, like all banks, will refuse to reimburse chargeback claims which look suspicious. They have obviously decided that yours is suspicious enough - and reading your post it is diffcult to conclude they have made the wrong decision.

Did you complain and go to the ombudsman ?
    There is no right to be refunded instantly with a chargeback claim - this is at the bank's discretion. An ombudsman complaint would just waste everyone's time.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 15th May 19, 9:07 PM
    • 2,476 Posts
    • 3,679 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 15th May 19, 9:07 PM
    • 15th May 19, 9:07 PM
    I've had 1 ATM issue in 35 years and it wasn't handled particularly well by the bank who just passed it to the contractor who fills up / deals with the cash machine. A few days later the shortage (20 I think) was just put into my account with no apology and no explanation.

How many have you had and how are they normally dealt with?
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 15th May 19, 9:25 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    sausage_time
    • 15th May 19, 9:25 PM
    • 15th May 19, 9:25 PM
    I've made 4,278 ATM withdrawals since my records began (32 years ago!) and zero issues in that time.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 15th May 19, 10:00 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    • 15th May 19, 10:00 PM
    • 15th May 19, 10:00 PM
    I've made 4,278 ATM withdrawals since my records began (32 years ago!)
    Originally posted by sausage_time
    Apologies for the off-topic reply, but this is really impressive, and baffling at the same time! I'm genuinely curious as to how you've maintained such detailed records from the years before online banking?
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 16th May 19, 7:14 AM
    • 211 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    sausage_time
    • 16th May 19, 7:14 AM
    • 16th May 19, 7:14 AM
    I have written and used various home-grown programs over the years to log and categorise transactions, apply regular payments and track net worth.
    • jonnygee2
    • By jonnygee2 16th May 19, 8:34 AM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 1,502 Thanks
    jonnygee2
    I've experienced 2 ATM issues one with TSB and one with MONZO.
    Okay, so your experience is with one other bank. So when you said 'every other bank', you were referring just to one. I think grammatically the term you were looking was 'the other bank I have had an issue with'.

The powers of Monzo, TSB, and any other bank connected to the Visa or Mastercard schemes are the same. Chargebacks take about 3 months. At their discretion banks may advance that money to you while they wait for the chargeback to come through, but they have absolutely no obligation to do this for a debit card.

Monzo have acted as any bank would act. I know for a fact that high street banks often make the same decision. People in financial difficulty often use ATM withdrawal chargebacks to borrow money which they cannot afford to repay, leaving banks with an expensive debt recovery process, therefore banks sometimes refuse to advance the refund.

FOS Nope, Again it still takes 8 weeks, As for what issues are effecting me, Umm. Let me think. An ATM Machine doesn't give me my ESA money, Yes i've contacted DWP and they can't do anything. Monzo Can't do anything. Who can.
    No one unfortunately. There is no solution other than to wait.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 16th May 19, 9:33 AM
    • 690 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    I have written and used various home-grown programs over the years to log and categorise transactions, apply regular payments and track net worth.
    Originally posted by sausage_time
    I'm in awe. Wish I'd done something similar.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 16th May 19, 9:54 AM
    • 679 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    Takmon
    I've experienced 2 ATM issues one with TSB and one with MONZO. I'm Still im my 20s. So the my life hasn't become that boring that I need to log ATM records and amounts, Maybe you have autism, I heard people with that have a habit of recording or collecting stuff. Anyway, Yes I've made a complaint with Monzo which came to no help just staff saying i need to wait 3 months.

FOS Nope, Again it still takes 8 weeks, As for what issues are effecting me, Umm. Let me think. An ATM Machine doesn't give me my ESA money, Yes i've contacted DWP and they can't do anything. Monzo Can't do anything. Who can. TSB when it was the old system before they even done this system change, Refunded me within 48 hours.

Seems people are quite cynical on here like reading into my post to much. Just as I'm reading into yours and coming to the same conclusion. Which is no!
    What's the point in using a bank such as Monzo then simply withdrawing all your money in cash to spend? It's much easier to just pay by card for everything otherwise it defeats the purpose of Monzo categorising spending.

Also if you were as organised with money as sausage_time then you probably wouldn't be so short of money that an issue with a small amount of money like this wouldn't be a problem.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 16th May 19, 11:11 AM
    • 10,523 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    colsten
    An ATM Machine doesn't give me my ESA money
    An ATM wouldn't know where the money in your account came from, so it is irrelevant that you get ESA. There are only 2 possibilities why you cannot withdraw money from your account
    1. you want to withdraw more than your balance, and you have no arrangements for an overdraft
    2. you have sufficient money in your account to cover your withdrawal but the bank has blocked your account for some reason

Which is it?

TSB when it was the old system before they even done this system change, Refunded me within 48 hours.
    do you mean 'refund'? Why would they refund you if you couldn't draw money at an ATM? Was your problem with TSB different to the one you are now experiencing with Monzo?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th May 19, 11:14 AM
    • 22,822 Posts
    • 18,839 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Chargebacks take about 3 months.
    Originally posted by jonnygee2

You may be right, I've never had to do one, but the OP is not asking for a Chargeback, they are asking for an ATM failure to dispense to be resolved. There is no way that should take 3 months, 2 weeks is about the most I would accept. And I don't see how any bank could justify a 3 month turn round for any dispute, given that the customer can go to the FOS after no more than 8 weeks.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 16th May 19, 11:57 AM
    • 3,549 Posts
    • 4,056 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    I've experienced 2 ATM issues one with TSB and one with MONZO. I'm Still im my 20s. So the my life hasn't become that boring that I need to log ATM records and amounts, Maybe you have autism, I heard people with that have a habit of recording or collecting stuff.
    Wow, you're a piece of work.

ATM disputes can and do regularly take a good while to look into as they involve Monzo contacting the owner of the ATM concerned and then waiting for its next balance, which could be in two days or could be in several weeks. This is roughly the same across all banks, it's not unique to Monzo - they're absolutely right about the maximum timescales concerned.

You've ruled out the only real option for anyone to even come close to helping you (a complaint to Monzo then FOS) because it takes too long. Therefore your only option left is to deal with it. 30 goodwill gesture for something that isn't actually Monzo's fault in any way is generous. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by JuicyJesus; 16-05-2019 at 12:07 PM.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 16th May 19, 12:08 PM
    • 4,486 Posts
    • 2,878 Thanks
    Robin9
    I had bank accounts since the 1960's - never had an issue with ATM's.

Two bank mistakes with SO's and one own goal using online banking (paid the wrong person - fortunately a family friend)
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • jonnygee2
    • By jonnygee2 16th May 19, 12:23 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 1,502 Thanks
    jonnygee2
    You may be right, I've never had to do one, but the OP is not asking for a Chargeback, they are asking for an ATM failure to dispense to be resolved.
    ATM disputes are resolved via a chargeback, and the consumer rights that apply to all chargebacks apply to ATM disputes. Ultimately it is a problem with the merchant (ATM provider) rather than the bank.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 16th May 19, 1:10 PM
    • 3,549 Posts
    • 4,056 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    ATM disputes are resolved via a chargeback, and the consumer rights that apply to all chargebacks apply to ATM disputes. Ultimately it is a problem with the merchant (ATM provider) rather than the bank.
    Originally posted by jonnygee2
    This isn't quite true. The ATM disputes process is a lot less formal than that for chargebacks, essentially being governed by interbank agreements. There's little limitation on who can operate ATMs, so banks are subject to dealing with random companies who are barely regulated (if regulated at all), trying to cajole them to balance random cash machines located in train stations, convenience stores and airports (which is great fun), and then essentially being left with believing whatever they say about the contents of the cash machines. And they have to then deal with people like OP in the meantime blaming them for it taking so long.

It's a sh*t system but it is what it is.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • jonnygee2
    • By jonnygee2 16th May 19, 1:16 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 1,502 Thanks
    jonnygee2
    This isn't quite true. The ATM disputes process is a lot less formal than that for chargebacks, essentially being governed by interbank agreements.
    Never heard of this sorry. In an ATM dispute every bank I have worked for just process a normal chargeback to recover the money unless the ATM is their own. There is no other mechanism I have heard of for disputing card transactions.

It is true that there is no evidential requirement for an ATM chargeback, because in most cases there will not be evidence, and none is needed because ATMs are built to accurately record non-dispenses,

Also, as you point out many ATMs are not owned by banks, so how would interbank agreements be helpful?
    Last edited by jonnygee2; 16-05-2019 at 1:18 PM.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 16th May 19, 1:30 PM
    • 7,395 Posts
    • 9,661 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    An ATM wouldn't know where the money in your account came from, so it is irrelevant that you get ESA. There are only 2 possibilities why you cannot withdraw money from your account
    1. you want to withdraw more than your balance, and you have no arrangements for an overdraft
    2. you have sufficient money in your account to cover your withdrawal but the bank has blocked your account for some reason

Which is it?

do you mean 'refund'? Why would they refund you if you couldn't draw money at an ATM? Was your problem with TSB different to the one you are now experiencing with Monzo?
    Originally posted by colsten
    I'd read it as OP had withdrawn mney, but got no cash even though it showed up as a debit on their account,in which case I would expect the bank to need time to make enquiries with the ATM operaer to find out if there was a fault, but I may have misunderstood.

OP, have Monzo told you it *will* take three months, or that it *may* take *up to* 3 months?
    If this has happened very recently you may find that it is resolved faster than you expected.

Is the situation that you can't currently access your money, or that money is missing from your account, or that there was a one-off issue?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

2,101Users online

Martin's Twitter