Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 52
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 3rd Jan 19, 4:21 PM
    • 2,447 Posts
    • 4,851 Thanks
    dlusman
    Some good christmassy stuff reduced to 10p in M&S today - loads on the shelf in store I was in , so maybe some left if you go in on Friday. Including 130g cream filled Chocolate balls , 65g chocolate coins , oat biscuits . B.E dates into middle of 2019
    • dan-dan
    • By dan-dan 6th Jan 19, 9:07 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    dan-dan
    picked up a 4 pack of veal from M&S for £2.50 reduced from £6.20

im slowly getting into this yellow sticker deal and im liking it
    Cosplayer and proud
    • Farway
    • By Farway 7th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    • 7,406 Posts
    • 14,138 Thanks
    Farway
    picked up a 4 pack of veal from M&S for £2.50 reduced from £6.20

im slowly getting into this yellow sticker deal and im liking it
    Originally posted by dan-dan
    It can get addictive, the trick is in knowing when to leave the YS "bargain" on the SM shelf
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Jan 19, 11:37 AM
    • 19,965 Posts
    • 119,323 Thanks
    maman
    It can get addictive, the trick is in knowing when to leave the YS "bargain" on the SM shelf
    Originally posted by Farway
    Totally agree.

I always check what's available but often walk away. Often it's junk food so far better for my waistline if I leave it. Also Sainsburys reductions are from such a silly price to start with that it's still too expensive to be worth buying.
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 7th Jan 19, 12:31 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Was in B&M yesterday they have Thornton’s chocolate elf’s for £1.

• dan-dan
    • By dan-dan 7th Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    dan-dan
    Originally posted by Farway
    yeah im always getting excited when looking out for YS, its very hit and miss but im greatful for anything i can use, its been a massive help so far cutting my food bill
    Cosplayer and proud
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 12th Jan 19, 8:23 AM
    • 8,210 Posts
    • 14,918 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Forgot to mention this. Last week in Sainsburys, they had packs of Italian antipasti meats in Christmas labels down to 15p as they were reduced to clear to £1 and they had that day's date on them. Think they are £3.50 normally.
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 13th Jan 19, 9:55 AM
    • 651 Posts
    • 1,219 Thanks
    tastyhog
    Recently had a new aldi open and seems to have attracted lidl shoppers with their shiny new store, our lidl doesn't seem to have their stock adjusted correctly yet, so there seems much more than usual kicking around.

And with those new green 'waste not' stickers there's its been rich pickings over the usual 30% off.

Filled the freezer with 90p packs of pork loin steaks, shoulder streaks, kilo chicken breasts, steak mince, diced beef etc

Not the huge discounts but it'll do me for a couple of months for next to nothing per meal
    Last edited by tastyhog; 13-01-2019 at 9:57 AM.
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 13th Jan 19, 12:20 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    PLRFD
    You did well there with what you got you can make many meals. As you mentioned pork loin chops I was in Asda today and saw in the 3 for £10 offer pork loin chops but you used to get 8 chops in the pack but now it’s only 4.
    • Kered
    • By Kered 13th Jan 19, 12:31 PM
    • 3,448 Posts
    • 18,977 Thanks
    Kered
    Got a cooked (roast) chicken in Lidl this morning for 20p
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 13th Jan 19, 1:41 PM
    • 2,447 Posts
    • 4,851 Thanks
    dlusman
    Good picking in Morrisons today all at around 95% off

including

half a dozen small bits of cod & haddock - from around £2.50 to 15p each
    couple of packs of scallop meat £6.00 down to 30p
    big squid £8.40 down to 42p
    small squid £2.00 to 11p
    pork loin medallions £3.25 to 17p
    beef mince £4.44 down to 22p
    beef denver steak £4.04 to 21p
    veg stir fry £1.20 to 6p
    coulpe of packs of apples £2.00 to 10p each
    little gem lettuce 55p to 5p

total value around £50.00 for £2.48
    • LouLander
    • By LouLander 3rd Feb 19, 12:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LouLander
    I almost bought an orange-stickered free-range chicken at Lidl (Bournemouth town centre) yesterday morning, but when I got to the till, the member of staff took a good look at it, said it wasn't "on our system" and therefore she couldn't sell it to me.

It was one of three orange-stickered free-range chickens, so I am presuming the other 2 weren't on their "system" either. It's original price was just over £6.

Has anyone else heard this reason for not selling a product at Lidl? (And is it Lidl-speak for "the staff want this"?!)
    • Farway
    • By Farway 3rd Feb 19, 1:44 PM
    • 7,406 Posts
    • 14,138 Thanks
    Farway
    I almost bought an orange-stickered free-range chicken at Lidl (Bournemouth town centre) yesterday morning, but when I got to the till, the member of staff took a good look at it, said it wasn't "on our system" and therefore she couldn't sell it to me.

It was one of three orange-stickered free-range chickens, so I am presuming the other 2 weren't on their "system" either. It's original price was just over £6.

Has anyone else heard this reason for not selling a product at Lidl? (And is it Lidl-speak for "the staff want this"?!)
    Originally posted by LouLander
    Not YS but I tried to buy mouthwash in L's yesterday, "not on system" so maybe there are really computer problems?
    The cashier even typed bar code number in & it just did not show up. I've bought identical product before without problems

Previously I've bought YS FR chicken, went through OK, read bar code & press 30% discount button, which is what I assume your cashier was attempting
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 3rd Feb 19, 5:02 PM
    • 29,814 Posts
    • 62,871 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I learned something new this week - Asda does not slice its YS bakery bread. I don't mind (for 20p I think I can manage to slice it myself) but I just thought it was weird.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • dan-dan
    • By dan-dan 3rd Feb 19, 9:04 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    dan-dan
    I learned something new this week - Asda does not slice its YS bakery bread. I don't mind (for 20p I think I can manage to slice it myself) but I just thought it was weird.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I think sainsburys and morrisons will as ive seen customers ask but ive never seen asda do it

it may depend on the store though
    Cosplayer and proud
    • Cinders2001
    • By Cinders2001 25th Apr 19, 8:49 AM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    Cinders2001
    Sainsbury’s Reductions....
    Anyone else feel that Sainsbury’s do not reduce their foods in the cold ‘day of expiry’ section enough to encourage a purchase?

So many of the items are only reduced by 20p or at best recently 60p, on items that cost £’s originally so not much saving.

To my my mind, a lot of these are still there at the end of the day and will be dumped!
    I live next door to a big branch and I’m in there all times of the day and evening.

Asda and Morrisons on the other hand really do lower their reduced prices.
    Last edited by Cinders2001; 25-04-2019 at 8:50 AM. Reason: Additional text.
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **

Thank you costs nothing but means a lot. That's why I thank all posts I like!
    • deborah100
    • By deborah100 30th Apr 19, 7:09 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    deborah100
    Our local Sainsbury's is so hit and miss. Some days they have packs of sliced ham down to about 20p and other days there's just nothing there. You see people waiting around the poor staff just trying to sticker the products too and then snap everything up.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 3rd May 19, 7:16 AM
    • 8,210 Posts
    • 14,918 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Anyone else feel that Sainsbury’s do not reduce their foods in the cold ‘day of expiry’ section enough to encourage a purchase?

So many of the items are only reduced by 20p or at best recently 60p, on items that cost £’s originally so not much saving.

To my my mind, a lot of these are still there at the end of the day and will be dumped!
    I live next door to a big branch and I’m in there all times of the day and evening.

Asda and Morrisons on the other hand really do lower their reduced prices.
    Originally posted by Cinders2001
    Asda near me have been mean with their reductions recently. They used to reduced something which was £2.50 to half price or max £1.55. Now the same item is reduced to £2.15.

Sainsburys near me reduce things by a third initially the day before, or if there are loads of the same item with the same date, 3 days before. Cheese, yoghurt and juice/smoothies - 4 days before.

Then there's the Sainsburys in town which I pop in and the strawberries had 15p knocked off.

It is down to the store management. They forget that when the store closes or at midnight, the unsold reduction food gets disposed at the full retail price, not at the last reduction price!
    • Bacman
    • By Bacman 3rd May 19, 12:09 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Bacman
    Here's a tip you will like to know about. It is useful at any of the supermarkets.

Yes, the time of day affects what they reduce items down by, however one thing they know but won't often tell you - the amount when they are reducing items is also dictated by how many they have left. For example, if they have something with a couple on-day items you might get say 20% off however if they have a dozen of the same item on-day then when they enter the amount in their discount gun it might reduce by say 33%.

It is worth knowing - even worth digging on the shelves to see if there are others so you can say to the assistant "there are 20 here". If you don't then they may only reduce all of them by a smaller amount so you end up paying more!
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 3rd May 19, 12:31 PM
    • 6,354 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Here's a tip you will like to know about. It is useful at any of the supermarkets.

Yes, the time of day affects what they reduce items down by, however one thing they know but won't often tell you - the amount when they are reducing items is also dictated by how many they have left. For example, if they have something with a couple on-day items you might get say 20% off however if they have a dozen of the same item on-day then when they enter the amount in their discount gun it might reduce by say 33%.

It is worth knowing - even worth digging on the shelves to see if there are others so you can say to the assistant "there are 20 here". If you don't then they may only reduce all of them by a smaller amount so you end up paying more!
    Originally posted by Bacman
    They do not enter prices into the "gun" (Hand Held Terminal given it's proper name, which is also used for a multitude of other tasks). They scan the product it takes a percentage off. First reduction is, for example, 25% then second reduction 50% and so on. Only at the end of the day do they go down to daft price like 5p to clear, and only then do they enter the price manually.

Yes, the amount of product to clear dictates how low the price goes. If for example they have 5 mozzarella balls on today's date, the might all clear through at 25% off before lunch. If they have 125 of them then it might take all day to clear them.

Also it's not recommended to go rooting through the shelves and asking the assistant to reduce something for you. It is company policy almost anywhere that product can not be reduced on demand and the assistant is not going to risk their job for you. Also refusal often offends.

Last edited by LeeUK; 03-05-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,320Posts Today

5,933Users online

Martin's Twitter