Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 26
    • deuxchatsnoirs
    • By deuxchatsnoirs 20th Feb 19, 9:35 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    deuxchatsnoirs
    Not sure if this is the right place, but just want to say a big thank you to those who keep this forum and the newbies thread updated.

Received an Aldi/Parking Eye ANPR letter on Monday, came straight on here to read advice. Appealed through their website using the template but also importantly sent a email to Aldi customer services saying in no uncertain terms that I was disgusted with their use of this unethical company and the threatening language used.

Email received this morning that Aldi have contacted Parking Eye to cancel the charge. Is that a record?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 20th Feb 19, 9:45 AM
    • 24,004 Posts
    • 38,583 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Email received this morning that Aldi have contacted Parking Eye to cancel the charge. Is that a record?
    Not bad, but not Premier League! Less than 2 hours for a Highview ticket using the forum appeal template.

Nonetheless, a rapid and positive response from Aldi, not allowing things to fester on for you.

While Aldi don't want their car park abused, they seem to be coming round to the position of even less wanting their customers abused by a toxic third party.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Computersaysno
    • By Computersaysno 20th Feb 19, 3:29 PM
    • 1,123 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    Computersaysno
    An awful lot of bother to go to for something that can be sorted very easily...simply email/return the form, appealing on the basis of naming someone/anyone else as the driver.

It's up to the scumco to prove who the driver was, not for you to prove you weren't the driver.
    Welcome to the world of 'Protect the brand at the cost of free speech'
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 20th Feb 19, 3:39 PM
    • 11,804 Posts
    • 16,228 Thanks
    beamerguy
    An awful lot of bother to go to for something that can be sorted very easily...simply email/return the form, appealing on the basis of naming someone/anyone else as the driver.

It's up to the scumco to prove who the driver was, not for you to prove you weren't the driver.
    Originally posted by Computersaysno
    But is was sorted very easily ..... infact very very easily
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • techspec
    • By techspec 22nd Feb 19, 2:13 PM
    • 4,407 Posts
    • 11,144 Thanks
    techspec
    Hi all,

I got my first parking ticket in December (leaving site), and headed here for advice.

I didn't need to ask, as there was enough info.

Today it was cancelled, and I would like to thank coupon-mad and others, for saving me 100. Much appreciated.
    Result
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Feb 19, 2:19 PM
    • 74,743 Posts
    • 87,277 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Easy when you know how! which scammer did you beat?

PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 22nd Feb 19, 3:12 PM
    • 13,921 Posts
    • 14,443 Thanks
    The Deep
    leaving site is a scam, complain to your MP.

The whole industry is a scam, relying on threats of court, and the public's ignorance of the Law, A bill is currently before parliament which will regulate the scammers, many of whom are ex-clampers.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors. Is has been suggested by an MP that some of these companies may have connections to organised crime.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, (especially Smart}, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week), hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem has become so widespread that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers.

Sir Greg Knight's Private Members Bill to curb the excesses, and perhaps close down, some of these companies passed its Second Reading in the Lords this month, and, with a fair wind, will l become Law later this year..

All five readings are available to watch on the internet, (some 7-8 hours), and published in Hansard. MPs have an extremely low opinion of the industry. Many are complaining that they are becoming overwhelmed by complaints from members of the public. Add to their burden, complain in the most robust terms about the scammers.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Fairy1808
    • By Fairy1808 24th Feb 19, 3:13 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Fairy1808
    Such a scam! Thank u to everyone who helps with these posts. Really helpful. I had a PCN in Dec, appealed and refused and just drafted my popla appeal. Took2 days solid to get it done and thank u to CouponMad as adjusted some of your Pepipoo letter along with a few others and viewing the BPA CoP. Had to prop my eyes open with match sticks to finish it as soooooo draining but fingers crossed it’s worth it.
    My draft letter is over on my own thread if anyone wants to check if ok (pleeease) )
    and now I can see why there is no standard reply template for everyone.
    Couldn’t have done this without u guys so great job. X
    • sterymixer
    • By sterymixer 6th Mar 19, 5:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sterymixer
    Moxy (Marriott) Edinburgh Airport parking ticket (Parking Eye)
    Hi, just wanted to share how I got my ticket cancelled. I firstly tried to reason with the hotel by phoning them but they were not very helpful, so I wrote an email including both Marriott CEO and Moxy (hotel where my parents stayed) manager. I know I haven't followed the main rule not to disclose who the driver was, but I just went with how I honestly felt about this situation, and it worked)

My email:

Dear Mr. xxx , Dear Ms xxx, [was not sure if I'm allowed to post their names on the forum, if someone requires contact details to either Marriott CEO or Moxy Edinburgh Airport general manager then let me know]

Yesterday I was unpleasantly surprised by the letter sent by ParkingEye with the parking charge of 100.

My parents, xxx and xxx stayed at your hotel, Moxy Edinburgh Airport in February (one night on 16/02 and one on 22/02).

I was picking them up and driving back to the hotel at that time. On Saturday 23/02, on the day of their check out, I also spent hour and a half (exactly 1 hour 39 minutes, as the ParkingEye letter informs) with them at your hotel, having lunch together there and enjoying the last afternoon before they fly back to Poland.

We were all unaware of the fact that this short period of parking would need to be paid for, nor that we have log in the details onto the tablet. Especially that the car park didnt have any barriers to make it similar to car parks like at the airport or other facilities. Nobody informed neither me or my parents about this. I contacted the hotel yesterday in the afternoon and the lady I spoke with was unfortunately very unhelpful. I was only told there is a sign on the car park and at the reception and now nothing can be done. I called again today and I spoke with the shift manager Barbara who confirmed the same. We did not see any sign but we simply were not searching for that kind of information, with my parents traveling without a car and me only seeing them off. To me such an answer shows a complete lack of interest in helping and caring for hotel customers. Such an attitude would be hardly acceptable in any hotel and in a new hotel like Moxy its glaringly inconsistent with the hotels declared policy - We want you to have it all. Do you, really? Where does nothing-can-be-done attitude fit in here?

In all hotels me or my parents stayed so far, the receptionist clearly informed about the car park rules. Such is the case for example with the nearby Hilton Double Tree (another nearby hotel, Holiday Inn Express has its parking complimentary).

Never have we encountered a situation where the guests of the hotel would be charged exorbitant fee for such a small overlook. I am sure you will agree it is an unreasonable sum, especially that we clearly remember that there were barely any cars parked at that time, so the car was not taking up someone else's space and your hotel was not losing profit because of this. On the contrary, we spent additional afternoon at your restaurant, spending additional money at your hotel for the lunch.

I really believe such treatment of your customers is unfair and is far below the standard presented in other hotels. I would think, especially that the hotel is new, the customer would be treated as a person, not just another number.

I understand that we have failed to register the car details on the tablet and pay for the parking, however it was not intentional, and, had we been clearly informed by the hotel personnel, it would have been sorted already. I am more than happy to pay what should have been paid, however the fee charged by the ParkingEye company is vastly excessive. I would be grateful for your assistance with this, contacting ParkingEye and cancelling the fee.

I am looking forward to hearing from you,

[And the response from the manager]

Dear Mr xxx

Thank you for your email.

My sincere apologies that you feel the crew have given the impression that they were not willing to assist your problem. This is most unusual feedback to receive regarding them as to date, positive feedback has been received. The information they have provided to you is accurate in that Parkineye issue fines rather than the hotel, but I will certainly address your feedback with them.

Our carpark is monitored by Parkingeye and as such there are 10 signs in the car park advising to register car details and we also have a sign as you enter the reception area advising the same details. The crew may well have been unaware that you had a car in the car park or they too would have prompted you at the time to register your vehicle details. As with many other hotels in the area we do charge for parking, hence we use Parkingeye to police any misuse of this by those unlike yourself, who are not patrons of the hotel.

Im sorry if you feel the signage we have is not adequate and we will certainly take this feedback on board for future.

We do value your custom and as this is the first time I have been made aware of your issue Id be happy on this occasion to discuss your case with Parkingeye. If you would like to call me on the below number I can resolve the matter swiftly for you?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

I called her and she sorted it out. I told her again what I think about this, unfortunately she did not seem very happy to help, I feel if I did not include the CEO in the email she would not help me. I am really grateful for all the information I found on the forum which helped me to deal with this problem!
    • trisontana
    • By trisontana 6th Mar 19, 6:02 PM
    • 9,028 Posts
    • 13,969 Thanks
    trisontana
    The information they have provided to you is accurate in that Parkineye issue fines rather than the hotel.

They just don't get it, do they? They are not fines.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
    • Dave86
    • By Dave86 6th Mar 19, 7:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Dave86
    Finally had my ticket cancelled. I was having no luck with the Parking Company actually responding to me and DRP...well they were DRP.

Eventually after being hounded and hounded but them not responding to any of my contact, I submitted a SAR, realised the person that responded was a director of the company...and raised my complaint to them. I advised my situation to them, and had a chat with a member of the press. Them knowing this seemed to make them actually agree with everything I have tried to tell them over the past 8 months.

PCN cancelled and DRP told to cease their harassment.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 6th Mar 19, 7:45 PM
    • 11,804 Posts
    • 16,228 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Finally had my ticket cancelled. I was having no luck with the Parking Company actually responding to me and DRP...well they were DRP.

Eventually after being hounded and hounded but them not responding to any of my contact, I submitted a SAR, realised the person that responded was a director of the company...and raised my complaint to them. I advised my situation to them, and had a chat with a member of the press. Them knowing this seemed to make them actually agree with everything I have tried to tell them over the past 8 months.

PCN cancelled and DRP told to cease their harassment.
    Originally posted by Dave86
    Well done ....... it's amazing what can happen if you expose them.

It seems to me that with the forthcoming new CoP, the scammers are thinking twice, even back peddling .... just in case they get banned by the DVLA

Who is the parking company, it's not DRP ?
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • gazhants
    • By gazhants 14th Mar 19, 4:42 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    gazhants
    Success at West Quay Retail Park Southampton.
    PCN from Britannia for overstaying the free parking.
    Signage on meters was confusing.
    Complaint to Furniture Village who instructed Britannia to cancel PCN,

This should be linked to my post in the main board but am unable to do so
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 14th Mar 19, 5:04 PM
    • 24,004 Posts
    • 38,583 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Success at West Quay Retail Park Southampton.

This should be linked to my post in the main board but am unable to do so
    Originally posted by gazhants
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=75584160#post75584160
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    • Cazzkins
    • By Cazzkins 31st Mar 19, 10:26 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Cazzkins
    Thank you for all the helpful advice here & for giving me the confidence to appeal my Parking Charge Notice of 40 (increasing to 70 within 28 days)
    Issued by: Britannia Parking (BPA member)
    At: Waitrose, Salisbury
    For: Exceeding 3 hour limit

I was genuinely shopping throughout the time as there are three other large retail shops on the site, including Waitrose, and sometimes, when shopping for multiple reasons and looking for inspiration for gifts, I don't find it hard to spend that long enjoying some retail therapy...Ok, My Name is Cazzkins and I'm a Shopaholic lol!
    I wrote to Britannia and sent a copy to the Branch Manager at Waitrose explaining that I did not leave the retail park and was shopping legitimately throughout and also that I was not aware that parking enforcement had been introduced (although I understand now that it had begun at least a year ago).

I have now received a letter from Britannia confirming that the Parking Charge Notice was valid and correctly issued but as it was my first Parking Charge Notice, they are prepared to cancel the notice, with the understanding that I will not continue to breach terms and conditions now that I am aware of the maximum stay time permitted for this car park! Result - one very Happy Shopper :-D

However, with so many people being issued with parking fines for various reasons, I am sad that it will drive more and more people to shop online when many stores are fighting for survival :-(
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 1st Apr 19, 8:09 AM
    • 24,004 Posts
    • 38,583 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    However, with so many people being issued with parking fines for various reasons, I am sad that it will drive more and more people to shop online when many stores are fighting for survival :-(
    Yep, 7 million private parking tickets issued in the past 12 months. With just over 30 million cars on the road, that’s around 23% being hit by the private parking industry.

Well done on getting yours overturned.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 1st Apr 19, 8:12 AM
    • 7,310 Posts
    • 7,182 Thanks
    DoaM
    I have now received a letter from Britannia confirming that the Parking Charge Notice was valid and correctly issued but as it was my first Parking Charge Notice, they are prepared to cancel the notice, with the understanding that I will not continue to breach terms and conditions now that I am aware of the maximum stay time permitted for this car park!
    Originally posted by Cazzkins
    Sounds like they were instructed to cancel but have spun it as a "goodwill" gesture.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 1st Apr 19, 2:09 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 3,872 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    "However, with so many people being issued with parking fines for various reasons, I am sad that it will drive more and more people to shop online when many stores are fighting for survival"

well done ...

now let the manager /ceo know that you would love to shop with them for ages and ages bur sadly you cannot ... and that to help with your retail therapy that you will spend the remaining therapy time else where ..... at a competitor

Ralph
    • Fed up with rip offs
    • By Fed up with rip offs 2nd Apr 19, 10:16 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Fed up with rip offs
    Back in February our car was clocked by an ANPR operated by Horizon parking at Wilkinsons store in Gateshead. Horizon had taken over from APOCA, not sure when, but under APOCA Sundays wasn't chargeable. So inevitably the Parking Charge Notice came with the usual 50 in the next 14 dayts or 85 afterwards.
    After an email to Wilkinson head office in Worksop got a blunt reply, a letter was sent to the Chief Commercial Officer explaining that it was a genuine mistake, based on the fact that parking charges never previously applied on a Sunday and that another of their stores regularly used they don't apply on a Sunday. I highlighted the fact that the high street is dying and it would be far easier to shop out of town or online in the future if people get nasty shocks in the post after visiting their strore and spending money. I attached the receipt which proved that money had been spent instore between the times on the charge notice. It took them over a week to get back to me but I had success in the Charge notice was withdrawn. A small victory against the scurge of the High Street.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 2nd Apr 19, 4:29 PM
    • 74,743 Posts
    • 87,277 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    How to get a scam PCN overturned at Exe Bridges retail park:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=75628258#post75628258

...phone numbers and an email address for someone called Georgie Brooks:
    https://www.cspretail.com/properties/exebridges-retail-park/

This is Georgie Brooks' email:

georgie@cspretail.com
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

791Posts Today

6,873Users online

Martin's Twitter