Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Paul1211
    • By Paul1211 6th Mar 19, 2:38 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Paul1211
    Money Claim Online Court Letters
    • 6th Mar 19, 2:38 PM
    Money Claim Online Court Letters 6th Mar 19 at 2:38 PM
    Looking for some advice please, I am looking to take my ex to court over a lot of money she owes me, and is refusing to pay.

The only thing holding me back is Iím currently living with parents and want this to remain confidential.

Has anyone had any experience of making a money claim online?....if so, have you received court letters through the post, and if so, do they have any reference to it being from court in form of a logo or text?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Mar 19, 5:08 PM
    • 9,117 Posts
    • 10,557 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 6th Mar 19, 5:08 PM
    • 6th Mar 19, 5:08 PM
    Eventually you will get a letter from the court; why would living with your parents be an issue though?
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Mar 19, 10:59 PM
    • 39,914 Posts
    • 37,176 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 7th Mar 19, 10:59 PM
    • 7th Mar 19, 10:59 PM
    Sounds like he's trying to hide this situation from his parents.

OP, the only way to find out is to phone the court and ask them whether their envelopes broadcast who they're from, or not. but really, life would be simpler if you came clean.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • AngelicKaty
    • By AngelicKaty 7th Mar 19, 11:22 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    AngelicKaty
    • 7th Mar 19, 11:22 PM
    • 7th Mar 19, 11:22 PM
    Hi Paul1211, documentation that comes from the small claims court (or, indeed any civil court) is "branded" HMCTS and with their logo on it. If your ex files a defence to your claim, the court will send you a paper copy of it on this headed paper. I can't actually remember if the envelopes are similarly "branded", but I have a vague recollection they are not, but agree with Savvy_Sue that if it's crucial your parents don't become aware of your action, you phone HMCTS and ask them (tel: 0300 123 7050).
    • Cisser
    • By Cisser 28th Mar 19, 5:13 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Cisser
    • 28th Mar 19, 5:13 AM
    • 28th Mar 19, 5:13 AM
    Why would living with your parents be an issue though?
    • Paul1211
    • By Paul1211 22nd Jul 19, 12:07 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paul1211
    • 22nd Jul 19, 12:07 PM
    • 22nd Jul 19, 12:07 PM
    Hi all.

Unfortunately I haven't got round to starting the claims process yet due to other commitments. I am looking to start this off now, however I am aware I must attempt to solve this with her before I send her a letter before claim.

I was planning on doing this a while back so I sent her a text message and email trying to solve the issue, however I have had no reply from either at all. I stated that if I don't hear back within two weeks (as of January) I shall go straight to court, however this was some time ago now! I haven't had any contact since then, so should I send her another message with the same text or go straight to sending her the letter before claim?

It will have been a year in September, is there a time limit by which I must file a claim?

Many thanks for any help, Paul.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 22nd Jul 19, 3:57 PM
    • 13,186 Posts
    • 9,070 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 22nd Jul 19, 3:57 PM
    • 22nd Jul 19, 3:57 PM
    Hi all.

Unfortunately I haven't got round to starting the claims process yet due to other commitments. I am looking to start this off now, however I am aware I must attempt to solve this with her before I send her a letter before claim.

I was planning on doing this a while back so I sent her a text message and email trying to solve the issue, however I have had no reply from either at all. I stated that if I don't hear back within two weeks (as of January) I shall go straight to court, however this was some time ago now! I haven't had any contact since then, so should I send her another message with the same text or go straight to sending her the letter before claim?

It will have been a year in September, is there a time limit by which I must file a claim?

Many thanks for any help, Paul.
    Originally posted by Paul1211

The time limit is six years in England and Wales, a little less in Scotland.
    • Paul1211
    • By Paul1211 22nd Jul 19, 8:29 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paul1211
    • 22nd Jul 19, 8:29 PM
    • 22nd Jul 19, 8:29 PM
    Great, many thanks for your help
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,780Posts Today

5,027Users online

Martin's Twitter