External blue ray writer

Comments

• Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    emptybox wrote: »
    Plex and Kodi can play MKV files without issue.
    Not sure about your Apple TV thing?

Plex app running on aplle4k t.v.
    I setup or installed Plex media library on i3 laptop yesterday.
    Plex app via Apple 4k t.c.can run movies I add only converter movies
    I think Plex runs most movie formats as I got a test blue ray running yesterday that was kindly sent to me.
    I think he mkv should be fine though I've ran out of 128gb ssd storage space until further notice.
    Thanks only until FRi for ebay bidding and possibly next month if I need a new external hdd.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500.
  • abssorb
    abssorb Posts: 125
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    wongataa wrote: »
    It pretty much is a plug and play experience (well click one button) with the correct software which is readily available. The encryption is trivial to break.

That's interesting :) Any recommendations?

Of course blu-ray to HDD is trivial. But a duplicate (not just a copy) of blu-ray to blu-ray with zero loss of quality - I've never seen a one click solution for that and I'd be very interested.
  • abssorb
    abssorb Posts: 125
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Dandytf wrote: »
    I think Plex runs most movie formats

Plex will stream pretty much any format, so you don't have to be fussy about which format you choose. So if you already have movies in a different format you don't need to convert it to MKV.
    One caution though if films with subtitles, particularly films with "foreign only" subtitles. E.g. alien speech in sci-fi movies. MKV does subtitles very well.

Plex will transcode on the fly too, so you don't need to make mobile versions. Just go for the highest quality you want. Then if you want to watch your streamed movies on your phone when out and about, plex will transcode it down to a smaller, more bandwidth friendly format automatically.

Re SSD - Ripping to HDD is good. Huge files will shorten the life of SSDs. They are getting better at putting up with this, but it's still a thing.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,611
    Forumite
    abssorb wrote: »
    That's interesting :) Any recommendations?

Of course blu-ray to HDD is trivial. But a duplicate (not just a copy) of blu-ray to blu-ray with zero loss of quality - I've never seen a one click solution for that and I'd be very interested.
    You can use MakeMKV to create an archive copy of a Blu-ray with all encryption stripped out. You could then burn that to a blank disc with suitable burning software. A bit more than one click for that process but not difficult. I've never done this as it is usually pointless creating disc copies.
  • Dandytf
    Forumite
    Posted 1st to mac forums earlier

Successful bidding bidding similar Asus external 6X blue ray writer late last night.
    £55 Uk pounds.
    Very happy to get to try some blue ray discs.
    Your Item - Your Success
    ASUS SBW-06D2X-U 6x Slim External Blu-Ray Writer

As 1st item bid was lost due to winner bidding +£5
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500.
  • Dandytf
    Forumite
    Anyone advise capacity of UHD Blu Ray movies.
    Could be interesting attempting copy with my soon to be delivered Asus Blu Ray writer 6x

I want to purchase small amount of blanks discs from Amazon + uhd movie
    25GB seems to be most inexpensive though I don;t want to purchase 50/100/ etc if I don;t need additional storage
  • wongataa
    Forumite
    Anyone advise capacity of UHD Blu Ray movies.
    Could be interesting attempting copy with my soon to be delivered Asus Blu Ray writer 6x

I want to purchase small amount of blanks discs from Amazon + uhd movie
    25GB seems to be most inexpensive though I don;t want to purchase 50/100/ etc if I don;t need additional storage
    Depends on the content.

Why to you want to copy existing Blu-rays to another disc? There isn't much point. Writeable discs don't last as long as proper originals. For back-up purposes using hard disks is faster and more convenient.
  • Dandytf
    Forumite
    Depends on the content.

Why to you want to copy existing Blu-rays to another disc? There isn't much point. Writeable discs don't last as long as proper originals. For back-up purposes using hard disks is faster and more convenient.

Only to try blu rays via i3 laptop, not sure if I'll need to connect to sony uhd t.v.
    Checked laptop earlier at least it has full size hdmi socket
    Only concern is lack of decent video card as Asus website is specinh mid to high range nvidia cards/amd cards etc I only have basic intel 620 chip though i can play those mkv blu rays.
    No other reason other than tech interest, I'm not into copying for others or to make money.
    If it fails I'll re list writer on ebay.
  • wongataa
    Forumite
    Only to try blu rays via i3 laptop, not sure if I'll need to connect to sony uhd t.v.
    Checked laptop earlier at least it has full size hdmi socket
    Only concern is lack of decent video card as Asus website is specinh mid to high range nvidia cards/amd cards etc I only have basic intel 620 chip though i can play those mkv blu rays.
    No other reason other than tech interest, I'm not into copying for others or to make money.
    If it fails I'll re list writer on ebay.
    I'm still struggling to understand why you want to copy a Blu-ray to another Blu-ray disc? If you have a disc already you can try it on another computer with no need for copying anything.
  • Dandytf
    Forumite
    I'm still struggling to understand why you want to copy a Blu-ray to another Blu-ray disc? If you have a disc already you can try it on another computer with no need for copying anything.

I don't have another computer as I use ios devices for a few years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure