Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    September 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    September 2011 Grocery Challenge 4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the ninth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your August budget, then keep on posting in the August 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 31-08-2011 at 9:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 34
    • FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 15th Sep 11, 7:50 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    FoxFace
    Off topic, sorry but Where's Puzzlebubble? Sure have not seen them on today?
    Here's hoping Elvis has made an appearance!
    Originally posted by TrixieB
    Ooooo well spotted! Here's hoping indeed

Small spend today for me of 2.47, but this was for a bottle of cola, some midget gems, hot dog buns and two tins of tuna, so quite pleased with that really!
    Debt Free Wannabe 21.05.2017
    Total Starting Debt = 11,020.01p Currently: 7282.99p
    ~Grocery Challenge: May: 26.77p/350.00p~
    ~Fox's Vegan Recipes~

• Chloris
    • By Chloris 15th Sep 11, 8:01 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 9,422 Thanks
    Chloris
    Have updated my signature. Hmmmm..... I will try and do this.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 15th Sep 11, 8:31 PM
    • 5,101 Posts
    • 49,613 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Spent €6.15 today, brings total spend to €120.83, leaving €4.27 per day to end of month.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • sproggi
    • By sproggi 15th Sep 11, 9:16 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    Re: Puzzledbubble

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=46933735&postcount=5748

'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 15th Sep 11, 9:34 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Someone asked earlier why we do T****o etc-well it stops them getting lots of extra advertising etc for starters! Anyway-I went into bu***ns tonight on the offchance of getting marked down goods(whoopsies)and I just realy needed milk.
    I came out with 4 chickens whoopsied@ 2.15 each weighing 1.7 kg per chicken.
    Some rumpsteak, reduced, milk, cakes,bananas,kievs all whoopsies and some salad and cheese full price. Spent just 18.51for 33 worth of goods.
    Just cooked 2 chickensand they are now cooling and will pop in fridge later for tomorrow and Saturday. Now making 2 loaves-one is quick herby bread and another for quick fruit bread-both have no yeast and are quick and easy to make. Recipes to follow.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 15th Sep 11, 9:43 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Quick herby bread

400g SR flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 egg
    just under 15fl oz(3/4 pint)milk and water mixed
    30g sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    5 teaspoons heaped of mixed herbs

Mix all dry ingredients
    Beat egg in a jug and make up to 15 fl oz with the milk and water
    Mix the wet mixture into the dry mixture.
    This makes a batter type mix. Pour this into a loaf tin and bake on gas mark 4 /180 deg for approx 1 hour until risen and golden.

Fruit bread version
    400g SR flour
    1 teaspoon baking pownder
    30g sugar
    100g sultanas raisins or mixed fruit
    2 teaspoons garam masala or mixed spice if desired
    1 egg
    just under 15 fl oz milk and water mix

Mix all dry ingredients
    This makes a batter type mix. Pour this into a loaf tin and bake on gas mark 4 /180 deg for approx 1 hour until risen and golden.

I adapted the herby one from another recipe on this thread or another thread on MSE but have altered the quantities and quantified the liquid rather than using cup measures which a lot of people find difficult to use. I have added baking powder but the original one didn't use it.
    The combinations/possibilities are realy up to you but these are two good cheap basics instead of yeast breads.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 15th Sep 11, 10:09 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    So far this month I have spent 3.88 in L1dl, 31.45 in Mr M's and 18.45 in A1di.
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 21lbs

• recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 15th Sep 11, 10:36 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Was nearly a NSD but went into Tescos and bought a local paper, packet of Doritos and four bagels from the bakery which came to 2.16, then I bought a 2 scratchcard and won 4 so a net spend of 16p!!

used up the last of my Aldi chicken tonight in a stir fry, so will make soup with the carcass tomorrow which will do lunch for a couple of days. I have to say that the Aldi chickens are so much nicer than Tesco or Asda ones - not that much fat comes out of them and they seem to be less "flabby and wet" as DD1 says. Have got lamb chops out of the freezer for tomorrow night's tea and have plenty of veg and potatoes to go with so maybe I will actually manage a NSD tomorrow!!

Congratulations to Puzzledbubble on the birth of Emilia!

Angelatgraceland - the breads sound good - for some reason I CANNOT make hand kneaded yeast breads so I will give them a go over the weekend!

Am going to try the Honey shreddies coupon thing at Tescos at the weekend. Does anyone know if you have to buy one at a time or can you put three or four through at once?
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • rej-c
    Rej-C - can I ask where you got your jogger bottoms x2 10? Do they do women's sizes too? Is the quality good?
    Originally posted by beautifylife
    Hi there. They were from Pri*ark, menswear section [small up to XXL sizes, as far as I could see]. I'm afraid I don't know whether they do a women's version - I was in there for only a few minutes sheltering from a sudden downpour during my lunch hour, noticed the tangled heap of joggers with a sign saying 'from 5' sticking out of the top, and thought 'they'll do for Him Indoors during the colder months'.

As far as quality goes, he hasn't tried them on yet, so won't give a verdict. But for a fiver a pop, they don't look glaringly tatty, so I'll hope they at least last the winter, but they're not the thickest fabric or anything; I daresay we've got what we paid for.

Will post later with my totals update. No surprise, no NSDs to add...
    Haven't done the GC since February, but a glance at the Tower of Receipts tells me I really need to get back into it... and plenty of other Challenges besides.
    • sproggi
    • By sproggi 15th Sep 11, 10:46 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    Am going to try the Honey shreddies coupon thing at Tescos at the weekend. Does anyone know if you have to buy one at a time or can you put three or four through at once?
    Originally posted by recovering spendaholic
    I tried it twice today, first time at a normal till and just gave 2 vouchers to SA no problem, second time I went through SS till, first voucher scanned ok, second voucher needed approval which I got.

I think it seems to depend on the SA, I have seen that some are not even letting people use 1 voucher and others are allowing many multiples.

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • rej-c
    Sig total updated to include four spends, two yesterday, two today, none of more than 2.89.

I seem to have also started Christmas treats stocking-up - cake and cookie mixes 32p at Mr T, which was also clearing out ltd edition Sea Salt and Balsamic Vinegar Pringles for 50p a tube - but that's a different purse...
    Haven't done the GC since February, but a glance at the Tower of Receipts tells me I really need to get back into it... and plenty of other Challenges besides.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 15th Sep 11, 11:14 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    Quick herby bread

400g SR flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 egg
    just under 15fl oz(3/4 pint)milk and water mixed
    30g sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    5 teaspoons heaped of mixed herbs

Mix all dry ingredients

Originally posted by angelatgraceland
    do you think this would work in the breadmaker with breadmaker yeast? if not i do have a loaf tin and normal yeast but i'd have to wait til next week because i won't have time tomorrow, and we hardly eat here at teh weekends so now good to me til then
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
  • TrixieB
    Well done Mr Compbunny! What's he going to be doing?

Hi All,

Emilia Anne was born at 7:21 yesterday morning weighing 7lb 2oz

Puzzled x
    Originally posted by Puzzledbubbles
    Yayyyy well done! Take it easy and enjoy these precious early days xxx

Someone asked earlier why we do T****o etc-well it stops them getting lots of extra advertising etc for starters! Anyway-I went into bu***ns tonight
    Originally posted by angelatgraceland
    Aye I suppose I can see why, absolutely NO idea what BU***ns is though??

Going for a NSD today - got to prepare some spicy carrot soup with my 2kg whoopsied 40p carrots, got whoopsied 10p cheese topped rolls to go with and there's a bowl of pasta bol left over from last night if the Boyf wants that.
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!

• JayJay14
    Aye I suppose I can see why, absolutely NO idea what BU***ns is though??
    Originally posted by TrixieB
    Budgens I would think - though I don't think I have ever been in one, it's a 'dawwn south' thing I think.

Re Te$co - it stops the post showing up on search engines.

Doing quite well on the spendy front this month - freezers stuffed though so shouldn't be spending much at all
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 16th Sep 11, 9:39 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    nsd today i can see alot more of those coming aswell, just phoned to chase up the kids free school meals and they've lost my form it takes 4 weeks to process and will be 5 weeks really by thetime they get it (i did try chase it up ages ago but they were no help ) so now i have to pay 25 a week on school dinners that moneys gonna have to come from somewhere

dinner tonight is spag bol
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • westlothianlass
    • By westlothianlass 16th Sep 11, 10:46 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 4,428 Thanks
    westlothianlass
    Hi all, just updating signature, managed to spend another 27 in T$$$o, boy do i dislike that store, must stick to my guns and not use it, but have dilemma as they have given me a 9 off 60 shop which is tempting. Away to give myself a good talking too.
    Hope everyone is surviving and holding onto their budgets
    X
    Moving towards a life that is more relaxed and kinder to the environment (embracing my inner hippy) .
  • TrixieB
    nsd today i can see alot more of those coming aswell, just phoned to chase up the kids free school meals and they've lost my form it takes 4 weeks to process and will be 5 weeks really by thetime they get it (i did try chase it up ages ago but they were no help ) so now i have to pay 25 a week on school dinners that moneys gonna have to come from somewhere

dinner tonight is spag bol
    Originally posted by quintwins

packed lunch not an option? far cheaper
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!

• Evie74
    A quick trip to Home Bargains this morning - spent 1.48 on biscuits and a big tin of peaches, and 2.49 on a birthday pressie for one of DD's friends (she's going to a party next weekend).

Still on track for 260 this month I hope!

Evie
    "Live simply, so that others may simply live"
    Weight Loss Challenge: 0/70
    • agiaga
    • By agiaga 16th Sep 11, 11:43 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    agiaga
    Just received Asda delivery - items which I wanted the most out of stock of course
    Total spend this month 128.32 so far and 12 NSDs

I know I can do it in September! Just stay motivated...
    mortgage started 31st May 2011 -59200
    mortgage overpayment started July 2011
  • poppy-glos
    another 4 in mr t, french sticks x 3 (3for 2) butter, 2 spread for 2, and a couple of onions. hm soup for tea with the leftover carrots, and peppers in the fridge

Last edited by poppy-glos; 17-09-2011 at 10:53 AM.
    nov grocery challenge, .227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,969Posts Today

6,860Users online

Martin's Twitter