Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    September 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    September 2011 Grocery Challenge 4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the ninth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your August budget, then keep on posting in the August 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 31-08-2011 at 9:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 33
    • emmad5689
    • By emmad5689 15th Sep 11, 7:12 AM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 13,850 Thanks
    emmad5689
    Well i'm not getting far with NSDs but at least it has only been a couple of quid at a time, tomoro I am going for dog food at Mr M which will be about £15 but luckily my grandma has a 10% off card she has given me for being an ex employee so a little saving there. Mr T kindly gave me a £7 off £50 voucher and although I don't need £50 of groceries I do need some so will stock up on other bits. I am going to get some free soup and cereal and take a look if the special K bars work, i'm presuming you can get the sacla sauces free at Mr so will look at that and have 2 £1 off vouchers for huggies pure wipes which are buy 1 get 2 free at Coop so will go there too. Am I dreaming that I saw a voucher for tetley tea bags???
    Hope all are doing well, I have to come under budget have an interview tomoro and if I get through it will have to pay for a police check.
    To get to Disneyland Florida 2016
    • 166million
    • By 166million 15th Sep 11, 8:46 AM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 5,117 Thanks
    166million
    Spent 38.33 at T£sco. Total now: £56.49/£100
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
  • cat_smith
    2nd spend day today. Big shop at Mr T but lots of stocking up on basics/winter preps and large amounts of whoopsied meat. Should only need fruit and veg for the rest of the month. £72.82 spent but just looked at receipt and I picked up wrong razor blades £10.29
    so they are going straight back.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • TrixieB
    small Aldi shop of £4.91 the Boyf did last night

4x fake red bull cans 30p each
    1x carrier bag 3p
    1x bag oven chips 99p - THE SINGLE BEST OVEN CHIPS HAVE EVER HAD!
    1x 2ltr milk 79p
    1x tomato ketchup - as good as Heinz imo!
    2x tins tuna 45p each
    1x tin tomatoes 31p - trying these as read on here somewhere that they are same price as value brands but taste more like Napolina, will report back later as hoping to make a bolognese
    Last edited by TrixieB; 15-09-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!

• sproggi
    • By sproggi 15th Sep 11, 12:51 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    Big spending day for me,
    £61.53 in L*dl making the most of this weeks offers, 3 gammon joints, 2 packs of the pork medallions and enough toilet and kitchen rolls to last for months!
    £21.32 in Mr T on things like coffee for OH, bread, bogof cheese, white vinegar and got 2 free boxes of honey shreddies

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • TrixieB
    Stupid question alert!

Why do some posters star out the names of the supermarkets, like Te*co?

• helen jelly
    Hex - oooh more choccy delights - you're so bad lol, thank you for the ideas x

I'm away for a few days now so if you have to post a new budget or are posting for October [can't believe that its Oct next month!!] then please still do so as I'll catch up on Monday

Have a great weekend everyone

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • Tinkerbell1982
    • By Tinkerbell1982 15th Sep 11, 1:51 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    Tinkerbell1982
    Now up to £140.00 / £240.00 after a few bits and pieces in Ald1
    1 debt in 100 days: £107.28 / £737.38

Sept Grocery Challenge: £140.00 / £240.00
  • TrixieB
    Have a good weekend away HelenJelly

Think I have just ruined a load of beef mince by defrosting in microwave and the edges are all hard and crunchy :/ about half of the total block of it, if I continue and simmer in sauce will it soften up do you think or am I as well binning it :/

• quintwins
    • By quintwins 15th Sep 11, 2:41 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    £54.23 in te$co on alot of store cupboard bits and i mean alot over 30tins (including one free tin of soup) 3 boxes of cereal 3 tubs of gravy 4 boxes of strawberries, loads of cheese,2kg pasta. 15 packets of noodles ect i acually filled a trolly i can't remeber the last time i did that it came to £64.05 then all my coupons came off altho they then gave me another £4 off £30 till split now do i spend that just for the sake of it?

trixieb i would cook it up then blend it with a stick blender u won't knwo the diference
    DFW £7632/£28996 26.3%
  • TrixieB
    I've gone for the whack it in and hope for the best option lol!

• PaddyPaws
    • By PaddyPaws 15th Sep 11, 3:37 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 3,019 Thanks
    PaddyPaws
    Just been out to get a few essential bits to keep us going, spent £9.82 in A!di, £3.61 in Waitrose and about £8 in Sainsbobs (have lost the receipt - doh!). Total of £21.43 - just need to update my sig now, and that leaves me about £20 till the end of the month!!
    Should be do-able as have most of our meals already in the freezer

cheers
    PP

• beautifylife
    Jogger Bottoms
    Hi, just stopping by here to get some ideas, for my all in £49 weekly challenge (see thread on oldstyle board), so I hope that's ok.

Rej-C - can I ask where you got your jogger bottoms x2 £10? Do they do women's sizes too? Is the quality good?

Thanks
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 15th Sep 11, 4:51 PM
    • 3,135 Posts
    • 42,338 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Hi all

Just a quick update before I forget.

Spent £6.32 today on catfood and ladies things at Mr S.

Will have a read now.

Have a great evening x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
  • poppy-glos

nsd for me today :-)

yesterday bought the £8.99 lidl clothes airer.. it is very nice and also out of my budget for food and household.

Last edited by poppy-glos; 15-09-2011 at 8:18 PM.
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 15th Sep 11, 6:55 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 29,793 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi....breakfast out today...very bad....but tasted very nice....also got a bread maker from argos only £19.99 so worth a go i thought.....also took advantage of the 3 for 2 on toys so a it of christmas shopping done

i made a toad in the hole for tea...i was very proud of it and all but ds liked it...i think i might buy some seperate dishes and do individual ones next time

off to tesco tomorrow to have a look at the chickens ...not sure about them but will have a look

regards tessa
    onwards and upwards
    • 76rosie
    • By 76rosie 15th Sep 11, 7:21 PM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 32,272 Thanks
    76rosie
    up to 22.35/60.00. Spent 32p in Mr T, Mr M and Sainsbob, shreddies, sacla sauce, campbell soup, cranberry juice, a whoopsie stir fry- 15p and 3x 10p onion bhajis. All the usual mocs. Still eating jellies a, frootz etc, and pasta. never eaten so well!!!
  • TrixieB
    Off topic, sorry but Where's Puzzlebubble? Sure have not seen them on today?
    Here's hoping Elvis has made an appearance!

• Keith
    • By Keith 15th Sep 11, 7:41 PM
    • 2,817 Posts
    • 1,800 Thanks
    Keith
    When I get home on Friday, I'll spend some time with our daughter and have dinner before heading to Aldi at 7, then to the ASDA behind for the rest of the bits.

Over £3 for bin bags!
    Originally posted by Keith
    Headed to Aldi tonight so I can make a Bolognese tomorrow night to fill the freezer. Bought loads of food, plenty for next two weeks, may have to pop back for some fresh veg but in total it came to £70 including some beer for tomorrow night.
    Got the £2 bin bags!
  • CompBunny
    Reporting a £5.99 spend at Tesco...two shower gels and a bottle of wine - my partner got offered the job he had a second-stage interview for the other day!!!!! So happy and proud of him! 8 months job hunting and come october no more JSA We've already decided to continue living frugally though!
    GC2012: Nov £130.52/£125
    GC2011:Sept:£215
    Oct:£123.98Nov:£120Dec:£138Feb:£94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - £4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

650Posts Today

6,206Users online

Martin's Twitter