Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Feb 11 at 9:52 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the third Grocery Challenge of 2011, it's almost spring so hopefully this will be a new beginning for all of us.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your February budget, then keep on posting in the February 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-02-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Page 40
  • rachelww1
    Made a lovely biscuit today, got it from the Great British Bake off... I have put the recipe on my blog. I cant believe how delish they are.

They are called Jam Thumb-Prints
    Originally posted by esmer
    Hey Esmer, great minds must think alike . I made exactly the same this morning (recipe out of one of my kids cookery books!), and DH and DS are tucking into them while watching the footie.
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt 41176 Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings 250
    2013 OP 3500
    • catslovelycats
    • By catslovelycats 12th Mar 11, 4:53 PM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 11,207 Thanks
    catslovelycats
    Esmer those biscuits look GORGEOUS!
    Just updating 72.15 spent on groceries in total so far
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 12th Mar 11, 6:57 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    Another NSD here!

Just had the leftover parsnip & parmesan soup with bread for dinner. Have now looked up a recipe online and will stick it in my recipe file.

Shouldn't need to shop until the middle of next week, and that should only be for fresh milk. I've plenty of bread, rolls, wraps etc in the freezer, so shouldn't need any of that for a while. It's amazing the amount we spend on stuff we don't really need.

I'll be fine as long as I remember to take my lunch to work

Happy Saturday

CherryPie
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - 46.73 / 100.00
    • esmer
    • By esmer 12th Mar 11, 7:20 PM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 9,044 Thanks
    esmer
    Hey Esmer, great minds must think alike . I made exactly the same this morning (recipe out of one of my kids cookery books!), and DH and DS are tucking into them while watching the footie.
    Originally posted by rachelww1
    They are so nice, never heard of them before, I made them with my 3 year old, she liked making the thumb prints and spooning in the jam. I have boxed the rest up to go to my mums, they are that tasty I will eat them all lol.
    Saving 2.00 coins
    Grocerys set to 40.00 pw
    Being Thrifty
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 12th Mar 11, 7:36 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 48,234 Thanks
    nmlc
    Evening all

Just an update of the spends, spent a whopping 108.29 yesterday in MrA's - but I did buy several extras, quite a bit of meat, wine on 3 for 10 offer, chocs for my friend to take tomorrow. I have to be honest I thought I'd spent 125 - so was a pleasant surprise. Going over to have late lunch with my friends tomorrow, boys have rugby in the morning - so no roast to cook for me!

Have a pleasant evening and Sunday.

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • rosieben
    cutiepie, I had missed your Cider and Mustard Honey Pork recipe, sorry; I've added it to the index now
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 12th Mar 11, 8:01 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    evening all, i went to te$co earlier and spent my voucher, cost me 35p got anotehr block of cheese some coke and fanta, another tin of tomatoes and some dairylea (to make it up to the 30 because they had no yogurts or chicken dippers does anyone have any recipes to use up diarylea? don't get me wrong it's lovely on toast and as finger food, but i have 36 triangles now) bananas, milk, cornflakes and some chocolate, then i told mil about the vouchers and she asked me to go with her, we wnet to the big one so while there i got yogurts and dippers they hadn't had earlier so spends for the day were 2.35 i should be getting another voucher tomorrow
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 12th Mar 11, 8:20 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    I really REALLY wanted to have a go at the whole tesc@ voucher thing, but I used an amazing amount of willpower and didn't go in. I figured, that, as I didn't need anything at all, any spend, even a frugal one, would be too much. I'm so mad at my house at the moment - there's food everywhere, so the last thing I want to do is stock up on more! Will this double the difference thing go on for long, does anyone know? I have an online order started for later this month with asd@, but if i can make it cheaper, then i will!

A friend came over yesterday, and I made potato bake for us, it was delicious (sometimes I love doing stuff out of jars for the simplicity factor!), and there was loads left over, enough for the children to have it for their dinner today, with a chicken breast and some peas. I poached the chicken, and because my two don't eat very much, gave them 1/4 of the breast each, leaving half for me for later - I like to eat later on a sat, when they've gone to bed. I left the meat on the side to cool down before putting into the fridge, and lo and behold, the d@@n cat took it for herself!!

I'm now going to have a slice of Christmas cake for dinner! Not at all healthy, but it needs eating. I'm not particularly hungry anyway!

NSD again. and so I'm now on 9 NSDs out of a possible 12 - yay me!!

Night all,
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • jumblejack
    Made a lovely biscuit today, got it from the Great British Bake off... I have put the recipe on my blog. I cant believe how delish they are.

They are called Jam Thumb-Prints
    Originally posted by esmer
    Yum! I made lemon biscuits earlier on which were the same shape. If I'd seen this post first I could have done the 'thumbprint' and spooned in home made lemon curd! I am DEFINITELY doing 'Double Lemon Biscuits' next time. Nice one!!!
    Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):30.50/40
    • pepsi-kins
    • By pepsi-kins 12th Mar 11, 8:33 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    pepsi-kins
    Hi All,
    I've not done too badly this week, have spent about 22, but that has taken me over my target for the month. Nevermind, i've got lots in, I made three quiche lorraines yesterday, and two lemon meringue pie's when I got home from work yesterday, so felt quite industrious. I've meal planned for the week, and other than a few salad bits, shouldn't need anything...but then again!

Have a good week everyone x
    2018 G/C 2951.61/2250
    Vouchers used 553.23
    Extra money 250
    2019 G/C 1809.19
    Vouchers: 143.90
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 12th Mar 11, 9:49 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Hi All

Signing in to report a complete DISASTER this month!

Here goes:

Monday

3.04 in Kings Cross
    4.50 in Slug and Lettuce in York (50% off all food on Mondays)
    45p in Boots
    3 in Cafe Nero
    17.50 in a Asian Tapas restaurant

Tuesday

90p in Bo0ts
    40p in Mr T
    24 in a restaurant which proved to be VERY mediocre in York

Wednesday

2 on a coffee
    2.94 in York train station
    2.50 in M+S

Thursday

17 on a Vietnamese restaurant
    3 on a bag of Brick Lane bagels

Friday

NSD - got meatballs out of the freezer to have with pasta

Today (Saturday)

20 in a lovely Spanish tapas restaurant
    5.04 in Mr T

So...I've spent 103.27 this week!!! In my defense it's my holiday week, but still - it doesn't look a pretty picture. I wish I didn't write notes of what I spent all week now, and just wrote the week off as holiday money! But - since I'm doing an annual budget in addition to monthly, I couldn't do that...

Still quite a lot of the month left so it's just going to be damage limitation...........
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • Aldahbra
    • By Aldahbra 12th Mar 11, 10:01 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 3,684 Thanks
    Aldahbra
    Peanut Butter Cookies

Originally posted by tigerfeet2006
    I made the cookies but my jury is out on this one. I managed to over cook the cookies on the top shelf and the ones on the other shelf were undercooked. The undercooked ones were much nicer than the overcooked ones.

I'm going to try therecipee again in a couple of weeks but use smooth peanut butter next time. How do you gauge when they are correctly cooked?
  • MumOf2Beasties
    Aldahbra i made the cookies today aswell, and i loved them!! (thank you tigerfeet2006!!!)
    cooked them on gas 4 in the middle of the oven, hard to say how to tell when they are done, as i prefer quite a crunchy biccie so not fussed if they are a little over done!!
    my pb was fairly smooth, m'sons value, with a few crunchy bits, though i'm thinking they would be nicer with a really chunky pb?!
    good luck getting them how you like them
    Last edited by MumOf2Beasties; 12-03-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: spelling!!
    1 adult, 3 children-Newborn and ages 4 & 6, 1 rabbit
    budget of 250 is for food, toiletries, nappies, wipes, cleaning/washing products and pet supplies (litter, sawdust, food)
    • never too old
    • By never too old 13th Mar 11, 6:54 AM
    • 2,941 Posts
    • 31,160 Thanks
    never too old
    evening all, i went to te$co earlier and spent my voucher, cost me 35p got anotehr block of cheese some coke and fanta, another tin of tomatoes and some dairylea (to make it up to the 30 because they had no yogurts or chicken dippers does anyone have any recipes to use up diarylea? don't get me wrong it's lovely on toast and as finger food, but i have 36 triangles now) bananas, milk, cornflakes and some chocolate, then i told mil about the vouchers and she asked me to go with her, we wnet to the big one so while there i got yogurts and dippers they hadn't had earlier so spends for the day were 2.35 i should be getting another voucher tomorrow
    Originally posted by quintwins
    i went yesterday, spent 27 followed list so hoping to hear back today that i have a voucher cant believe how more expensive mt t were on these 9 items. i will let you know when my email arrives, fingers crossed
    2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

1711.95 / 2019
    0%/100%
  • 123budget
    made a soup last night - just chucked all old veg in, mushrooms, leek, spring onions, red pepper carrot and old potatoe. liquidised and added a little worcester sauce and a dollop of bbq sauce left in a jar - very surprised that it tastes so nice - will do me for lunches this week. Also gathered all the crusts of bread I had frozen and made a bread pudding which should do kids for a few days (hopefully but they have hollow legs!) Chicken roast today and should have enough left for HM chicken pie tomorrow.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 / no. 1205 110 made]Sealed Pot Challenge 2012/no 1205 target 300
    Jan g/c 355.83/450
    g/c Feb487.66/400
    March 411.03/450
    To feed 5 adults and 2 dogs includes toiletries & cleanining
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 13th Mar 11, 7:55 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,664 Thanks
    sistercas
    ooh all the biccies sound lovely , will have to make some

managed a NSD yesterday and i have no intention of going out today either so 2 in a row

i think i understand the tesco double the difference thing now thankyou, but it does seem like a lot of effort

just watching the news re the tsunami , they think 10000 people are dead, its horrendous - i will donate to the appeal today but that wont come out of the grocery budget. what with this and the comic relief programmes in kenya, makes you realise just how fortunate we are here

Angel good news for DH hope the good fortune continues
    Spig (((hugs))) to you hope the op does the trick x
    • boysma
    • By boysma 13th Mar 11, 7:58 AM
    • 827 Posts
    • 12,862 Thanks
    boysma
    Reporting 83.55 in spends between Ice**nd and L*dl yesterday. Was pleasantly surprised at how much I got for this especially the fruit and veg in L*dl. I have a few things to get today in Mr T that i couldnt get in the other shops but have written a list and intend to price it online before i go - em why havent i done this before

I am getting dangerously close to my target for the month and have to go to 28th (DH pay day). I am surprisingly optimistic this month though as have loads in freezer and will make lentil soup today for lunches. Have meal planned for this week and should have enough for following week with exception of potatoes, fresh fruit, bread & milk. Good luck everone
    Payment A Day 15 (started 17/5/14)
  • Candy Belle
    Morning All!

Hugs to all that need them today

A few spends to report as I've not posted for a while - didn't realise how many pages behind I was!!

I**land - 4.00 Mr K's Pies & 500g block of cheddar

Sainsbugs - 32.42 Milk, Smoked Salmon, blueberry muffins, mushrooms, bread, crisps, rocket, prawns, tomatoes, minced lamb, bananas, 3 peppers, white wine, cherry toms, 3 onions, linguine, 6xmullier light, tinned tomatoes, eggs.

Not planning on buying anymore food till friday...............

Have a good day everyone x
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May 177.04/235.00 Apr 237.79/235.00 Mar 226.16 /235.00
    G/C - Jan 248.52/235.00 - Feb214.72/235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
  • highland fling
    Good morning everyone,

has anyone seen a freezer with rubber walls because at the rate I am storing food I am going to need one.

Popped into A**A yesterday and they had a free range chicken reduced and a shoulder of pork. So have cooked them and now have to try to reorganise freezer to fit them in. It would be a good game on the Krypton Factor.

Will not buy anymore food until I make a dent on my food mountain.

Famous last words!!

Hope you all have a good day.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 13th Mar 11, 8:46 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    i went yesterday, spent 27 followed list so hoping to hear back today that i have a voucher cant believe how more expensive mt t were on these 9 items. i will let you know when my email arrives, fingers crossed
    Originally posted by l.m.hart
    i know i said to my oh i was glad i didn't buy branded stuff often, i spent 30 and had 4 mesly bags lol, i do my whole shop for 40 lol but my 4 bags were pretty much free

ok i've been thinking about this and i didn't add my first spend to my total, but now i've spent a voucher i'm gonna have 5 less that what i spent to spend next month, so i've was thinking of adding the 5 to my total then decided this is going to get too confusing, so i'm gonna add the whole 29.90 to my total, which will mean i'll be well over this month, but then i should be under next month

i really can't buy anything else tho (expect my bag of spuds) as i had to play tetris last night to get a loaf in my freezer and my cupboards and fridge are just as bad
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

81Posts Today

2,888Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin