Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • elona
    • By elona 28th Mar 06, 1:04 PM
    • 11,150 Posts
    • 63,453 Thanks
    elona
    • 28th Mar 06, 1:04 PM
    I think vegetable shortening is a white sort of marge.

Have a look on the thread titled crazy american as she gives some tips there.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • wigginsmum
    Not sure about vegetable shortening, but any kind of dried beans or possibly dry rice would do in the place of baking beans; it's to stop the crust rising when baking blind so you need something to weigh it down.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 28th Mar 06, 1:05 PM
    • 5,247 Posts
    • 5,756 Thanks
    ariba10
    • 28th Mar 06, 1:05 PM
    • 28th Mar 06, 1:05 PM
    It is a vegatable fat. See here http://allrecipes.com/advice/ref/ency/terms/9032.asp
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • MonkeyGirl
    • 28th Mar 06, 1:07 PM
    • 28th Mar 06, 1:07 PM
    Vegatable shortening is things like Trex I think. THIS LINK explains it .

Hope that helps

MonkeyGirl

• thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Mar 06, 1:43 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 28th Mar 06, 1:43 PM
    • 28th Mar 06, 1:43 PM
    Not sure about vegetable shortening, but any kind of dried beans or possibly dry rice would do in the place of baking beans; it's to stop the crust rising when baking blind so you need something to weigh it down.
    by wigginsmum
    Don't do what I did once and put the beans directly on the pastry,put some greaseproof paper on first!!!

Veg shortening is anything like Trex or Cookeen,but I'd use a mixture of lard and butter for my pastry to avoid hydrogenated veg oil (or all butter).
  • Queenie
    • 28th Mar 06, 5:24 PM
    • 28th Mar 06, 5:24 PM
    veg shortening (see above)

If you dont' have any baking beans, !!!!! your pastry base with a fork and then brush it with a little beaten egg.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

101Posts Today

1,489Users online

Martin's Twitter