Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 107
    • Sosh
    • By Sosh 17th Jul 08, 11:13 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    Sosh
    Ooh, i'd have swung for him! In future maybe leave a wee note on it if its for something in particular. Maybe along the lines of 'Dont eat me you greedy sod?'
    Originally posted by gunsandbanjos
    I did tell him not to eat it, but it seemed to go in one ear and out the other :rolleyes: . Next time, I'll use your suggestion.

went to Mr A today. Managed to get everything for 26.32. I shouldn't need anything else before next friday, so should come in well under budget.
    Thanks to all the lovely people on here I have managed to cut my hours down to 2 days a week, allowing me to spend more time with my gorgeous Children.
  • dink1
    hi guys,

does anyone know if mr m or mr a will be doing 50p specials this weekend? or was that a one off?
    Dink1
    JanGC 250/82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/86/cm40/9.50
  • Herbaholic
    Hi there,

Thanks for spotting the missing text after the "method". Just to let you know that this is currently being rectified.

In response to another poster - yes - we are very much genuine!

Thanks again.

Ian
    webooks
    Originally posted by IanWebooks
    Afternoon all, hugs to everyone, nice post from the webooks site, nice to see and it means we'll get access to the book for free. Its now been 3 weeks since I bought anything from Amazon, so any reason to not buy books is very much appreciated

Felinefantastic - Hope your Mum gets better soon, sure she will do with you looking after her

KAAT_LADY - Loving the graphics your posting, they do add some cheer to the day, can you believe not so long ago you had problems posting images

ifonlyitwaseasier - Hope you feel better soon, my throat felt iffy this morning and I sneezed a couple of times, so I hit the elderberry rob. Made loads of it last autumn, and it really helps make short work of a cold, tastes yummy to, especially with an extra drop of brandy. I'll post the recipe when the elderberries are out in a couple of months if anyone is interested and they remind me lol!

Special hugs to herewegoagain and mandy_moo hope you both feel better soon.

Today will be my 3rd NSD, having left over roast beef with all the trimmings for tea, a diversion from my meal plan again, but we have everything in and its what I fancy. Just finishing my coffee break with one of the double choc muffins I made yesterday, of all the muffins I've made these are to die for, they've come out moist and yummy, some of the previous ones have been a little on the dry side. DH just phoned from work, he'd taken two with him to work, one for him and one for his colleague, he'd eaten them both and wondered if he could take 3 tomorrow lol! I actually have some work to do today for a change, but I think I may need a baking fix, coupled with the evening knitting fix I'm finding it helps me feel more in control of things and my time and I love the end results Will pop in again later, have a good one everyone
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ; Jun 21/14 ; May : 6/6
    GC 2010: Jul 134.03/150.00 ; Jun 278.86/275.00 ; May 276.13/280.00
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 17th Jul 08, 11:25 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar's adapted Pineapple Salsa

(in brackets is what the original version had in, if nothing in brackets then its the same)
    • 1 cup finely chopped pineapple from can 'in own juice' (fresh pineapple)
    • 3 tbsp finely chopped purple onion (2 tbsp each of finely chopped purple and green onion)
    • 1 tbsp finely chopped red pepper
    • 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
    • 1 tbsp honey
    • 1/4-1/2 tbsp chilli powder (dash cayenne and 2 tsp finely minced jalapeno pepper)
    • juice of fresh lemon (juice of fresh lime)
    • 1/4 tsp black pepper.
    Combine everything well, cover (I put in a plastic tub with lid and gave it a good shake to mix) and leave to refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
    Makes 1-1&1/2 cups. Serve with fish, chicken, pork, or in my case beef and bean enchiladas!
  • Herbaholic
    Thanks for the salsa recipe Orkneystar, have a huge tin of pineapple that will be opening for sweet n sour tomorrow, I can make the relish with half the can and add it to my cucumber & onion 'instant' relish to serve with the curry night stuff on Saturday
  • FelineFantastic
    but I think I may need a baking fix, coupled with the evening knitting fix I'm finding it helps me feel more in control of things and my time and I love the end results
    Originally posted by Herbaholic
    Thanks Herbaholic-- and are you me? because that sounds like one of my best days!! My nephew keeps coming in and sniffing and tutting and saying 'Baking again? No room in the freezer you know!'
    June Budget= 151.41/150
    10 NSDs (with teenagers !!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 17th Jul 08, 11:52 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    Does anyone have a "recipe" for making their own facial toner? I have just used the last of mine and thought I would check on here as I know lots of people make their own soap, powders, deodrant etc. I have sensitive skin so the cheap shop ones dont usually agree with me.

Thank you.
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 17th Jul 08, 11:55 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    I actually have some work to do today for a change, but I think I may need a baking fix, coupled with the evening knitting fix I'm finding it helps me feel more in control of things and my time and I love the end results Will pop in again later, have a good one everyone
    I too find both knitting and baking very therapeutic- making an aran cardi for DS right now, complicated pattern to start with but fine once you get into it. Need some inspiration baking wise today- tea/fruit loaf maybe although not sure :rolleyes: Am a bit out of sorts today as did not wake til 9.30- normally up about 7 ish at the latest! Where has the morning gone ?!!
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 17th Jul 08, 11:57 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Does anyone have a "recipe" for making their own facial toner? I have just used the last of mine and thought I would check on here as I know lots of people make their own soap, powders, deodrant etc. I have sensitive skin so the cheap shop ones dont usually agree with me.

Thank you.
    Originally posted by mummygems
    Have you tried the health and beauty board ? Just a thought.
    • *BigBird*
    • By *BigBird* 17th Jul 08, 11:58 AM
    • 948 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    *BigBird*
    teacakes in the BM
    Originally posted by mandy_moo_1
    Ooo, thanks ever so much for posting this recipe - I absolutely love teacakes

Would these freeze OK? Have got to try them, but having a batch of yummy HM teacakes in the house will be disastrous for my diet!!
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • Herbaholic

Thank you.
    Don't ask how I know that these facial toner recipes are good I just do

Herby
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 17th Jul 08, 12:05 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    Have you tried the health and beauty board ? Just a thought.
    Originally posted by OrkneyStar
    Didnt even think of that thank you.
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 17th Jul 08, 12:06 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    Don't ask how I know that these facial toner recipes are good I just do

Herby
    Have you tried them (or are they yours lol).

Will have a look thank you.
  • Herbaholic
    Have you tried them (or are they yours lol).

Will have a look thank you.
    LOL I said don't ask
  • mandy_moo_1
    just catching up on the posts whilst i grab a quick cuppa

bigbird ....yep the teacakes freeze fine....i just let them cool for about an hour under a tea towel so they don't go crusty, then put 'em in a freezer bag, and bung 'em in the freezer. then i can just take out 1 as and when i need it, and put it on defrost in the m/wave for about 40 seconds. i don't like mine toasted, and they're always lovely and soft

thanks dink1 and herbaholic for the hugs. i'm feeling a lot more positive at the mo. i'm already on the highest dose of my anti-depressants so they can't help me anymore :rolleyes: i think i've got a bit of OCD as well, cos i find i can never sit still for long, i always have to be busy cleaning. my doctor just makes a joke of it, and asks if i can come and do his housework when i'm having a bad day.....not exactly helpful when he treats it like a joke, but there you go.....sorry for going off topic a bit there

hope the teacakes were a success dink and you've left some for the freezer!!

doesn't look like i'll be going out with the dogs today, they hate the rain as much as me!!

• MRSMCAWBER
    Afternoon everyone

Im home at last .... just wanted to pop in and say a HUGE thankyou for all the PMs i have had off various folks whilst i have been away... it has meant so much..thankyou .... its been a difficult few weeks to say the least but at least neither my mama or sis are suffering now-which is the main thing.

I have the attention span of a gnat at the moment -but im hopping that getting back into my routine here and on the weightloss thread will soon sort me out

Im not going to declare a budget for the bit of this month that is left..but i will be popping in and out (whilst trying to catch up with the thread ) then i will be raring to get back into the swing of things as soon as August starts.... have 3 new health/cook books to work through as i do my meal plan -have decided that i need to alter my eating further -hopefully to reduce the risks of suffering as sis did.... will share any reipes i think may be wanted
    Still won't be spending much as i have a freezer/cupboards full and have just been out and topped up my fruit n veg...and look what i have fetched out of the garden this morning

Not bad to say it has been left to its own devices for 3 weeks..loads more still out there and once they start ripening -enough tomatoes to feed the town
    right - i had better get on..have a great day everyone
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 17th Jul 08, 12:20 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    Good to see you back MrsM, we've missed you. Hope you and your family are coping.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 17th Jul 08, 12:22 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    Welcome back MrsM I second the fact that we have missed you.

I hope you are doing as well as can be at this time. Take care of yourself.

(((((HUGS)))))
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 17th Jul 08, 12:25 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    welcome back MrsM You've been missed loads xxx
  • mandy_moo_1
    welcome home mrs mc it's great to see you back. hope your family and yourself are as well as can be expected

bet it was lovely to come home and see all your potio going crazy....you'll be eating salad till it comes out of your ears!!

take care and we're all thinking of you xx

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,609Posts Today

5,969Users online

Martin's Twitter