Machine Embroidery

Battleaxe44
Battleaxe44 Posts: 607 Forumite
I am wondering if anyone here does machine embroidery, either using their sewing machine or an embroidery machine?

I ave two single needle embroidery machines, started out small and graduated after three years to my big all singing all dancing machine. I got the bigger machine because it fives me a larger embroidery area, so now I can embroider my jean;s legs withour splitting the design to fit a smaller hoop.

I embroider all my pillowcases PillowcasesforEllieImage5.jpg.

Comments

• tinker77
    tinker77 Posts: 126
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Which machines do you recommend I really really want to get one but Iam at a loss which one would be the best do you down load designs from a computer or do you have to buy in preprogrammed cards
    This website has changed my life latest win has been PPI reclaim worth £4,900 awarded by RBS
  • Battleaxe44
    Battleaxe44 Posts: 607 Forumite
    I have a Brother Innovis 700 MK11 and a Brother Innovis V3. I love the Brother machines. The V3 has a larger embroidery area, it also means I use more consumables like stabiliser..that is the downside.

I download my designs to a memory stick from my computer, or I can hook my computer to the machines. i do this with my small machine, I do have a notebook used only for the embroidery. I do my design on my big computer and then load it on to the memory stick.

You can buy the cards, but they are expensive. Out in the embroidery worls, there are so many digitizers and the prices for the designs are reaonable. Embroidery Library have a lot of my money, as do other sites.

I digitize my own art work using several software programmes.

Oh the machines do come with buit in designs, so it easy to get started. Most of us buy our embroidery threads over the internet. Stabiliser is expensive, so when I go across to the States I buy it in bulk and save considerably doing it this way. I did by some stabiliser over the internet and got clobbered for import duty when it was lanaded here in England. Again which stabiliser to use for which fabric. The best forum I have found for machine embroidery is Designs by SiCK, it is similar to this form and any help needed someone will step up and give you assistance.

I don't know where you live, but I can recommend Lords Sewing. Nothing is too much trouble for this dealer. Absolutely fantastic. I had to take my V3 up there, I rang and we made an appointment, the machine was looked and fixed same day. We had a four hour drive to get there, but well worth the trip.

Locally I use another dealer where I bought my small machine and also my Janome sewing machine, this man is very good servicing the machine.

Whichever machine you look at, make sure you can get help and good service. I knpow f people who have bought their machine via EBay and such and have had a few problems getting the after sales service they need. I would stick with a dealer, makes life so much easier.

Just my thoughts anyway. Others might have a differnt view. I love the ease of use of the Brother machines and have never had any problems with the back up service needed. oh the machines come with a 3 year warranty, so that is a plus.

My other bit advice is to buy the machine you can afford with a decent embroidery area, some only come with 4inches x 4inches and you will soon outgrow this, Brothers do 4 x 4, 5 x 7 and 7 x 12 inches embroidery area. You can also split designs for a large designs, but that comes later as you learn more and there are software programmes to help you do this.

So have fun, read all you can, before deciding which machine is best for you and be prepared to become addicted and spend all your money on thread, fabric stabilisers, needles and all manner other consumbles. My latest acquistion is hot stone thingy for putting crystals on my embroidery. I have crystal bird's eyes on my jeans legs...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure